• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

endurance of a Global 6000?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have it on good authority that Gulfstream is in the deliberation process of starting another manufacturing line to get current/future 650 orders on the ramp faster. This decision was due to the high # of 6000's coming out of warranty in the next 2 years. Not sure if the NJA order will help or ultimitely hurt them in the long run.

A few months go, I got lucky and Delta upgraded me on a flight from SAV to ATL. Who should sit next to me but a senior Gulfstream VP who told me the G650 production goal for 2013 is north of 30 units and somewhere around 50 units in 2014. That's more than five BILLION dollars worth of airplanes in only 2 years. They have people standing in line to buy that airplane. I don't think they are too worried about Bombardier.

I think it is safe to ask... "What would Santulli have done? Who would he have ordered from?" And I think everyone knows the answer to that. The Godfather of fractional knew what he was doing sales/customer wise..

I'm sure the Globals are fine a/c, but a Gulfstream is a Gulfstream... They are the cream of the crop, it doesn't get any better...

IMO Netjets will get some quality Global sales.. But I'm almost positive they would have done better with Gulfstream and a possible 650 order...

Leave it to the bell hop to pick the wrong $50 million dollar a/c

Is not just about the Globals, I'm sure Bombardier offered Sokol a deal he couldn't pass on.

If you're Sokol and Bombardier approaches you and says " Globals at this price, CL300/605s at this price, plus we'll take some old Junkers off your hands".

What would you do? Hell he paid Gulfstream $40 mil just to cancel future deliveries. That tells me he got a heck of deal from Bombardier

Is not just about the Globals, I'm sure Bombardier offered Sokol a deal he couldn't pass on.

If you're Sokol and Bombardier approaches you and says " Globals at this price, CL300/605s at this price, plus we'll take some old Junkers off your hands".

What would you do? Hell he paid Gulfstream $40 mil just to cancel future deliveries. That tells me he got a heck of deal from Bombardier

Exactamundo.

Gulfstream wouldn't deal. Not on the 280. Not on more 450's or 550's. And certainly not on 650's. Gulfstream wants list price on everything. Why wouldn't they? People are throwing money at them.

I had to laugh when Uncle Warren was on TV answering a question about why NJ picked the Global. He said he was just ordering what his customers wanted. Uh-huh. The huuuuuge discounts and sweet exchange deal from Bombardier had NOTHING to do with it, right?

BTW, list price on a 650 is around $65 million with paint and interior.

Let's impress our customer by sending a tire they need by ship to Hawaii.

Ocean ship.

Yes. The Billion(s) Dollar Tire debacle... And all that was needed to make a final decision on how to spend billions I'm sure.

A fun and "feel good" emotional response which resulted in a business decision to go the other way.

Let's impress our customer by sending a tire they need by ship to Hawaii.

Ocean ship.

Yes. The Billion(s) Dollar Tire debacle... And all that was needed to make a final decision on how to spend billions I'm sure.

A fun and "feel good" emotional response which resulted in a business decision to go the other way.

If NJ is making billion(s) dollar decisions based on a mistake made by a $50K/yr expediter in SAV/LGB/wherever, then I would be REALLY worried about any of their business decisions going forward.

Great story, though.

He said he was just ordering what his customers wanted. Uh-huh. The huuuuuge discounts and sweet exchange deal from Bombardier had NOTHING to do with it, right?

BTW, list price on a 650 is around $65 million with paint and interior.

Most customers want price point. Gulfstream still has a very loyal following, but at $65 million each, I bet the mood changes. Some very insistant G owners are finding the Global is a real surprise. Word is it's so quiet on board you can here the crew speak from the back of the cabin. A long flight with far less noise is a huge difference. It's fast, extremely long range, and a lot cheaper. Gulfstream is no longer the only kid in town in their market, and they will suffer if they don't learn how to compete.

Most customers want price point. Gulfstream still has a very loyal following, but at $65 million each, I bet the mood changes. Some very insistant G owners are finding the Global is a real surprise. Word is it's so quiet on board you can here the crew speak from the back of the cabin. A long flight with far less noise is a huge difference. It's fast, extremely long range, and a lot cheaper. Gulfstream is no longer the only kid in town in their market, and they will suffer if they don't learn how to compete.

It's quiet alright. Especially when you are sitting in Outer Mongolia with a RAT CAS message that you cant get extinguished. Great airplane, but im a firm believer that you get what you pay for. The Batch III upgrades will be nice in another year. Hopefully.

Last edited:
Gulfstreams break too, and location really doesn't seem to matter to them either. In fact fleet availability for all four of our G models is on the low side today compared to nearly all the other fleets, and I'm not talking about scheduled mx.

The 'get what you pay for' doesn't really apply when you're discussing high end products. When the G650 goes for $65 million each and Globals go for the low $50s, all else considered, I'll save the millions.

Last edited:
Gulfstreams break too, and location really doesn't seem to matter to them either. In fact fleet availability for all four of our G models is on the low side today compared to nearly all the other fleets, and I'm not talking about scheduled mx.

The 'get what you pay for' doesn't really apply when you're discussing high end products. When the G650 goes for $65 million each and Globals go for the low $50s, all else considered, I'll save the millions.

To my surprise, being a "Guffstream" guy, I tend to agree with Pervis about how the Global will do at NJA.

Latest resources

Back