Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
Actually I wanted to entitle this "Encounters With A*shole Celebrity Pilots" but didn't figure the moderators would let that slide.

One of the bigger ones I've heard is Harrison Ford.

I was once up in Flagstaff, AZ doing a preflight and he was up their in his twin (I believe a Baron) Anyways, he and his wife boarded the airplane and started both engines, before the lineman had time to take the chocks out from the front and main wheel. The lineman motions to him that the chocks were still on, and to shut down one of the engines so he could remove them. Harrison then refusing to shut down the engine, motions for the lineman to take them off. The lineman politely gestured again to shut down the engine that had the chocks under it but he refused again, and by now Harrison was growing impatient.

So the poor lineman had no other choice but to crawl underneath the wing with the engine and prop going and remove the chock from the wheel. Same with having to crawl forward to the front to get the one of the nose gear.

I just thought it was another a*shole pilot until the lineman walked past me on the way back inside and made a few choice-words on who it was. And how he had refueled the airplane, stocked it with some items, and provided a courtesy cart for him and Harrison hadn't tipped him a dollar.

Interesting enough, although I can't remember them now, it seems like everytime I tell another pilot that story, they all have a similar Harrison story to tell!

Anyone have any experiences with other celebs like this?

Last edited:
How about the time Harrison volunteered himself and his helicopter to search for some missing hikers?

I'm sure all of us have been rude with FBO employees at one time or another. Based on everything I've heard about Harrison Ford, he's OK in my book.

I've encountered several a$$hole celebrities, but they've all been my passengers. Not many celebrities I can think of are pilots anyway. Let's see, Ford, Patrick Swayze, Christopher Reeve, John Travolta, Cliff Robertson, Kurt Russell, Charlton Heston- anyone else?

I met Han Solo up at OSH this year at the Hilton Breakfast buffet. He seemed OK, but not a guy I would hang out with. Then it was pointed out by one of my CoEx buddies that was with us the guys like him used to be the "drama club" douche bags back in high school. I've never looked at an actor seriously since then, since those kids were really big friggin losers. But it'd be sweet to have a little cash and some toys out back.

I think Shooter McGavin is working on his instrument somewhere out in LA. Morgan Freeman (currently grounded for fukking up in TEB), Angelina BigTitties, Arnold Palmer. Didnt Patrick Swayze crash or some $hit? I thought I heard a story he was drunk and smoking reds and passed out or something to that effect? Anyone know for sure?

Here is the accident brief on Patrick Swayze's accident. What is not noted, and I had seen on his A&E Biography, is that after he landed, he tried getting a couple guys that had come out to help him to take some empty beer cans and a case of beer that he had onboard the airplane at the time. They refused, but I can't remember exactly how that part of the story turned out.

http://www.airsafe.com/events/celebs/swayze.htm

My question after reading that is this. If he lost pressurization at 13,000 feet, why would he immediately be looking for a suitable landing site? Couldn't you just descent to a lower altitude (wouldn't have to descend far in this case) and continue on your way until you could find a suitable airport to land at?

EagleRJ said:
How about the time Harrison volunteered himself and his helicopter to search for some missing hikers?
Probably to make up for the Bad Karma he received by doing that to the lineman in FLG! Just kidding, point taken.

What I forgot to mention in that story was that the lineman had said Harrison frequently stops in FLG, and everytime that lineman had to deal with him he treated the lineman like he's beneath him, and is always rude to him.

That's all I'm trying to say, it seems to be more then just an isolated incident.

Ed Norton (a la Fight Club) also holds a private license, I have talked to him several times while working as a CFI in Teterboro, where he would rent our 182. Real nice guy, totally down to earth.

~wheelsup

Gov. Taft (ohio) that man can lick the dog **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** off the bottoms of my shoes...he's the most pompus prick i've ever met...i don't know if he's actually rated or not, i just know he will often ride up front in the state kingair...similar situation to the harison frod chalk story except i didn't get down on my belly and go after them, i "politely" gestured back (with the center finger on my right hand) that he was SOL till him or the other guy shut down an engine...my boss wasn't real thrilled since our paychecks came from a state institution of higher learning...

deez_nutz2000 said:
I met Han Solo up at OSH this year at the Hilton Breakfast buffet. He seemed OK, but not a guy I would hang out with. Then it was pointed out by one of my CoEx buddies that was with us the guys like him used to be the "drama club" douche bags back in high school. I've never looked at an actor seriously since then, since those kids were really big friggin losers. But it'd be sweet to have a little cash and some toys out back.

A brief comparison of lifetime earnings and worldwide recognition between Mr. Ford and yourself will probably give you a good idea of who the "really big friggin loser" is.
:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back