Employment, how bad is it?

DesertFalcon

Member since 1999
Total Time
8700+
Questions, for all of you out there?

What is the overall employment picture for Pilots, in aviation, at this time?

What are the employment v.s. unemployed pilot percentages?

I am looking forward to your answers.

Lindy

Total Time
Take a look at the post "How Many Are Still Out" on the majors board. Then think about if they are not hiring (and will not be for 3 to 5 years (except SWA, FedEx, perhaps AirTran, ATA, & Alaska), there is no movement from the regionals.

There are Corporate jobs available; however, those are always "right place at the right time" and "who you know" and you usually have time in type.

It's a tough market. I would suggest to just hang in where you are located and let things ride. Life isn't fair, and aviation sure proves that chosing a career in this business isn't fair.

alimaui

Total Time
150+
not av. related, but still interesting

The state of Oregon, if it can hold on for the end of July will set a new record for unemployment.

Currently the state of oregon has had the highest unemployment rate in the nation for the last 11 months. One more and it will claim a new title for the longest running highest unemployment rate.

This sitch partly due to the tech influence in the nw-ern corner. (This industry being hit hard in all locations around the nation)

I dont know how this reflects on the people or just my bounds of energy, but I currently hold two jobs. And neither were overly-difficult to acquire...

Ali

Clearsky

Total Time
Theres money in Starbucks! Actually, the flight school I train at was recently bought by a guy who sells beans to Starbucks (he likes aviation so he bought the school!).