Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

greedypilot

Obama-nation
I'd like to work for CAL, SWA, DAL, et al in the future, but I have an issue in my past that might make it difficult. I was fired by my employer (part 91) 4 years ago. I had an employment contract and left 2 months prior to its full term. I resigned, but the company refused to accept it and fired me on the spot. I am sure they will tell my would be employer that I was fired and not eligible for rehire.

Since then I have worked for a different company (part 121) without incident.

Is this mistake in my past going to prevent me from getting on at CAL, SWA, DAL, ??

Last edited:
I really don't think so. The fact that you are employed by that company again I think will help. If you are currently working there and are in good standing why don't you ask them to change that history for you?

Otherwise, as long as you are honest I don't think that will prohibit you from getting the job you want.

Nope.

Too many shady operators out there doing similar stuff.

As long as you weren't discharged for refusing/failing a drug/alcohol test, or busting a checkride... or something along those lines, I wouldn't sweat it.

Initial post is a little misleading, I meant that I have worked for a different company for the past 4 years without incident. The first post has been edited for clarity.

You would not have an issue, as long as it can be verified by someone. I know of at least two people that have been hired this time around with the same stuff. The majors realize what can happen. They realize that no one is perfect. Many would prefer to hire the devil they know versus the one they do not.

I'd like to work for CAL, SWA, DAL, et al in the future, but I have an issue in my past that might make it difficult. I was fired by my employer (part 91) 4 years ago. I had an employment contract and left 2 months prior to its full term. I resigned, but the company refused to accept it and fired me on the spot. I am sure they will tell my would be employer that I was fired and not eligible for rehire. Since then I have worked for a different company (part 121) without incident.
Is this mistake in my past going to prevent me from getting on at CAL, SWA, DAL, ??
Greedy - you shouldn't have any trouble at all. (Unless “Greedy” as your real last name...;))

In the past I used to help out with recruiting at a small regional and we saw similar situations to your ordeal quite often. All recruiters know that pilots are at the mercy of the owner at most part 91 companies in particular; many times the owner happens to be the chief pilot, director of training, etc.
Anyways, all you need is a written statement from someone who was there at the time and where he/she basically concurs with your description of the events. At my regional we only requested training records from part 121 and 135 operators so they might only want to know when you were hired and when you resigned (were terminated).

Good luck to you!

Btw, don't forget to apply with FedEx and UPS!

It might not even come up.... from what I understand some carriers want to know if you stole candy from 7-11 as a kid. Others want to know who you are in the past five years....

Did the dirt bag Part 91 carrier provide a notice of termination? Or was it all verbal? If it was verbal, then I'd worry even less.

Before 9/11 I heard of a couple Part 91 or 135 carriers with insecurity issues actually tell a major airline that the applicant was fired. It opens up allot questions and most companies are smart enough to say. "Yes he worked here and these are the dates."

And in reality... you decided to leave your employer. Is that so bad? Don't we live in a free market capitalisitc economy? Don't we live in the land of the free?

Obligating a pilot to stick around with these indentured servant contracts can be called coersion...it is quite unethical...

Continue to tell your part 91 operater to stick it. Focus on the future....

As others have said most places understand. Times have changed and the hard @sses on most
panels have retired. Most of the guys doing the interviews had the same drama or knew buddies that dealt with the BS side of the time building process. If you tell your story honestly and they don't hire you because of it, then you probably don't want to work at that company.

Latest resources

Back