• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Emirates is a dream flying job and the type of flying they do is exactly what I have always wanted. BUT after being in DXB I can say I could not handle living there. The internet is restricted, TV sucks, not much to do without spending money, and you HAVE to have a hobby. Do not get me wrong some people get along over there but to me it was not just an adjustment to living in a new area but a change in lifestyle.

Emirates is a dream flying job and the type of flying they do is exactly what I have always wanted. BUT after being in DXB I can say I could not handle living there. The internet is restricted, TV sucks, not much to do without spending money, and you HAVE to have a hobby. Do not get me wrong some people get along over there but to me it was not just an adjustment to living in a new area but a change in lifestyle.

Wait a second... I thought you said this:

You gotta get some stamp or a letter from your current employer who will certify flight times or get a Notary to stamp it.I listen to other people and tried to explain that my company and the FAA refused to certify the logbook. Not having that stamp is one reason I was rejected.

So which is it... did you choose not to go or were you rejected?

I'm guessing rejected.... sour grapes, dude.

Originally Posted by bailey3083

Having been there quite a few times, I enjoy it. Others do not.

I will say this, many of the people I know who have worked there or the region last about seven to ten years and then return home. Not all but the majority.

Originally Posted by bailey3083
You gotta get some stamp or a letter from your current employer who will certify flight times or get a Notary to stamp it.I listen to other people and tried to explain that my company and the FAA refused to certify the logbook. Not having that stamp is one reason I was rejected.

This I do not understand. Usually if your paperwork is not in order on the first day you are sent home.

DoubtingThomasQuote:

Not necessarily so, could be, but he does raise some valid points.

I know of a family who moved (non-aviation) there 18 months ago. The wife and the children have since returned leaving the husband to finish his commitment. It works for some people and not for others.

Wait a second... I thought you said this:

So which is it... did you choose not to go or were you rejected?

That's a bit harsh. I would say rejection and then backwards rationalization - which is natural. I think living there could definitely be difficult for some people. Inflation is incredible. Still, if offered a right seat in a 777, most people would find a way to make it work (at least for the short term or until living in Dubai drove them NUTS).

No sour grapes here. Yes I was rejected by Emirates which honestly made it easier. My main reason, I should say my belief, is I really screwed the pooch in the sims because I have never had flyby wire so I was over controlling and I could not understand the "ATC" instructions. I was also dinged for not having my logbooks stamped, signed, etc.
If you want to go to Emirates go as it is a good company who does take very good care of you BUT make sure you check out if you can handle living in DXB. Better then Half of the people who leave in the first 3 years do so because of living in DXB not because of the company.

EK would be smart to open foreign bases like CX if they want to attract and retain the best pilots. That won't happen because they always want to have FULL CONTROL.

I have an interview in June. I know emirates will fly me out there.....but do they fly my wife (pay for her ticket on the same flight Im on?) She really wants to go. Any help will be great.

Latest resources

Back