Emirates Road Show May 2008

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey TP,

Thanks for all of the great info you provide on EK. It is good to see a number of Americans getting hired at EK. I have a few questions for you:

1. What is the estimated total number of newhires expected at EK through 2008?

2. Of those newhires, what proportion would be American, European, South American, Asian, Middle Eastern, Australian, etc.?

3. Any estimate on how many newhires (proportion) would get 777 vs. Airbus this year?

4 Will EK use its own pilots for the 747-800Fs or will they outsource entirely to Atlas and others? When are the first copies expected to arrive?

5. Lastly, will EK eventually hire directly onto the A380 or will those pilots move internally from other fleets?

Thanks for any insight.

TP,
Been in touch with one of your HR Capt over the last few months. Can you clarify whether my family would be covered for medical health insurance if they decided to stay in the US. I can't move my family as my kids are in one of the best HS in the state. I would move my wife after they are in college. Thanks in advance.

Xtwapilot
They will only be covered for emergency treatment.

TP and Gillegan,
Thanks, that seems to be my biggest hold up. The medical insurance is a big sticking point for me and my family.
I was told that if they initially got the imigration stamp into Dubai, then they would be covered totally however, they would periodically have to return to ensure residency is established in Dubai, not in the U.S. Either way thats no way to life. Why can't they just put people that don't want to bring their families over on the same coverage as their employees in that particular country? I know, I know, it's their ball and they can choose to play with it anyway they want. But for me until that changes, Emirates is on hold. Thanks for the info guys.

Xtwapilot

TP and Gillegan,
Thanks, that seems to be my biggest hold up. The medical insurance is a big sticking point for me and my family.
I was told that if they initially got the imigration stamp into Dubai, then they would be covered totally however, they would periodically have to return to ensure residency is established in Dubai, not in the U.S. Either way thats no way to life. Why can't they just put people that don't want to bring their families over on the same coverage as their employees in that particular country? I know, I know, it's their ball and they can choose to play with it anyway they want. But for me until that changes, Emirates is on hold. Thanks for the info guys.

Xtwapilot

Apply to Netjets. You won't find a more comprehensive health care package than the one at Netjets.

Hey TP,

Thanks for all of the great info you provide on EK. It is good to see a number of Americans getting hired at EK. I have a few questions for you:

1. What is the estimated total number of newhires expected at EK through 2008? = The revised figure is somewhere in the low 300s.

2. Of those newhires, what proportion would be American, European, South American, Asian, Middle Eastern, Australian, etc.? = No way to know the answer to that. They periodically publish percentages of the total current pilot fleet by nationality. There are a lot of new hires from the USA right now. Also a lot from South America, South Africa, as well as Europe, Australia, etc.

3. Any estimate on how many newhires (proportion) would get 777 vs. Airbus this year? = Guessing here, but it is going to move closer to an equal distribution between Airbus and Boeing. For the last two years it's been primarily Boeing. Two years from now it will be primarily Airbus.

4 Will EK use its own pilots for the 747-800Fs or will they outsource entirely to Atlas and others? When are the first copies expected to arrive? = The $10,000 question.

5. Lastly, will EK eventually hire directly onto the A380 or will those pilots move internally from other fleets? = Yes, but the rules as currently written will only see pilots with experience on the A330/340 hired directly onto the A380.

Thanks for any insight.

Typhoonpilot

With everything going on here in the US, I am pretty much ready to pack my bags.

How many new hires this year?

What is competitive as far as flight time?

How often and what is the average class size?

It seems that for the most part people are pretty happy there, would be a nice change,

I am planning on attending one of the info sessions this month.
Thanks for the info.

I heard they told eveyone today if your total time isn't atleast 5,000 you are not competative.

It seems that for the most part people are pretty happy there, would be a nice change,.

While I am relatively satisfied, many are not. I'm not suggesting that you won't be but I strongly suggest that you do a bit of research and educate yourself on some of the negatives of joining. Many of the newer people who are not happy did not acquaint themselves with some of the more negative aspects of this job (Factored flight time, limited days off, outsourced training and NO COMMUTING). Unfortunately, spending the night with them somewhere over the Indian Ocean can be tedious.

I can't tell you how many times in the last few months that I've sat across from someone in the bar while doing their line training, explaining some of this stuff and watched their jaws drop.

As I said, I'm pretty happy at the moment and I'm not saying that you won't be but in my experience, the guys who cope best over the long term are the ones who do their research and come with a balanced view of both the positives and negatives of this job. If the job makes sense for you and your family after weighing this stuff up, you will probably be happier in the long run.

A little off topic but didn't want to start a new thread.

Can anybody who joined EK with a spouse from the US tell me the procedure to get the marriage certificate authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign affairs?

Thanks!

Latest resources

Back