Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OState597

Hello to all...

I've been reading quite a bit here about EK from A-Z. Quite a lot of good info in regards to hiring, pay, housing, trip scheds etc. I'm a young 30's single guy, former 121 U.S. regional on the RJ 2/7/9 and jumped ship for a corporate captain offer. Long story short, I'm better served in airline life and seriously eyeing the worldwide flying experience.

I've seen the cautions about Dubai, that if you're not flexible, adaptable and adventurous then don't come. I happen to be all of those, and would love to hear some opinions with day-to-day pro's and con's about living in Dubai as a single expat. In other words...lets pretend I just landed a trip, got a few days off...wake up at home, what do people do for enjoyment? Is the heat a major factor in daily life there? Do pilots end up bidding long schedules away from base to avoid Dubai and live life on the road? I suppose I could ask a thousand hypothetical questions. Anything and everything helps...thanks!

Hello to all...

I've been reading quite a bit here about EK from A-Z. Quite a lot of good info in regards to hiring, pay, housing, trip scheds etc. I'm a young 30's single guy, former 121 U.S. regional on the RJ 2/7/9 and jumped ship for a corporate captain offer. Long story short, I'm better served in airline life and seriously eyeing the worldwide flying experience.

I've seen the cautions about Dubai, that if you're not flexible, adaptable and adventurous then don't come. I happen to be all of those, and would love to hear some opinions with day-to-day pro's and con's about living in Dubai as a single expat. In other words...lets pretend I just landed a trip, got a few days off...wake up at home, what do people do for enjoyment? Is the heat a major factor in daily life there? Do pilots end up bidding long schedules away from base to avoid Dubai and live life on the road? I suppose I could ask a thousand hypothetical questions. Anything and everything helps...thanks!

Pro's - 14,000 very attractive cabin crew, good trips to 6 continents, a decent nightlife although expensive, the beach, great food, nice malls, scuba diving, boating, rock climbing in the area, camping, sand duning, motor biking, skiing, golfing. I am sure there are more.

Con's - jet lag, expensive for alcohol and going out, long distance from home and support if you need it, heat in the summer but you just do more indoor things, more strict laws on certain issues some bendable and some not.

We have a variety of trips from turn arounds up to 9 days away. Some people like the turns and some people like to stay away it just depends on you. On the Boeing the variety is there but the trips tend to be longer where the Airbus does more of the turn around flights. Personally, I am quite happy working here....despite the moaning of some about no unions.....and the benefits are far better than those offered in the US right now.

My best advice would be to go to a roadshow and snag an interview. Come a few days early and explore the city. Plenty of us will be happy to provide recommendations as to where to go/what to do and see if you don't have any friends already working over here that can help you out.

Exactly the kind of input I'm looking for, thank you! Do you know how aircraft assignment is treated for new hires? Obviously excluding the 380 demand, is the 777 a tough jet to hire into because of the sought after trips it does?

Exactly the kind of input I'm looking for, thank you! Do you know how aircraft assignment is treated for new hires? Obviously excluding the 380 demand, is the 777 a tough jet to hire into because of the sought after trips it does?

Anytime. Aircraft assignment is strictly dependent on company need. I met an A-330 guy from S. America recently who was put on the Boeing course here. Currently, the majority of new hires are being placed on the 777 but that changes at the drop of a hat. You can request an aircraft type during the interview but if you really want to get hired and not take the chance of playing hard-ball for a certain aircraft, then I would suggest just telling them you will be happy with whatever aircraft is assigned.....flexibility and an open mind is key to being happy here. Currently, more guys are being hired onto the 777 than Airbus.

Anytime. Aircraft assignment is strictly dependent on company need. I met an A-330 guy from S. America recently who was put on the Boeing course here. Currently, the majority of new hires are being placed on the 777 but that changes at the drop of a hat. You can request an aircraft type during the interview but if you really want to get hired and not take the chance of playing hard-ball for a certain aircraft, then I would suggest just telling them you will be happy with whatever aircraft is assigned.....flexibility and an open mind is key to being happy here. Currently, more guys are being hired onto the 777 than Airbus.

Not sure if it was true, but I read on Pprune (yes, take everything with a big grain of salt on Pprune) that a French guy insisted on the 777 despite having Airbus experience and his offer was later rescinded (he stuck to his guns for the 777 and was denied). He seemed quite bummed about it... Then again, it could have been because he was French. :(

Better to take what they offer if you really want to work there...

Last edited:
Not sure if it was true, but I read on Pprune (yes, take everything with a big grain of salt on Pprune) that a French guy insisted on the 777 despite having Airbus experience and his offer was later rescinded (he stuck to his guns for the 777 and was denied). He seemed quite bummed about it... Then again, it could have been because he was French. :(

Better to take what they offer if you really want to work there...

100% agree. It is probably a true story. You are on your best behavior on the interview and in the beginning stages of hiring. Why would the company take someone on who is being stubborn and not flexible early on, it will just get worse with time.

pprune.org, airlinepilotcentral and propilotworld all have more info on EK. Typhoonpilot, who is on ***************orld for sure is the best source of info. Warning: Pprune has a LOT of VERY negative views...

cliff
RMS
PS-I have heard a LOT of good stuff about EK, most recently from two pilots at my airlines who visited EK guys in Dubai.

Hey everyone. How does Emirates view candidates with no prior 121 experience? I am a corporate 91/135 guy looking to branch out. Emirates would be great as me and the wife are looking for a major change in scenery and life.

Any input is appreciated.

Avrat

Hey everyone. How does Emirates view candidates with no prior 121 experience? I am a corporate 91/135 guy looking to branch out. Emirates would be great as me and the wife are looking for a major change in scenery and life.

Any input is appreciated.

Avrat

Bluntly....they won't currently even look at you. However, if they get hard up for pilots the requirements tend to change in a flash so it is not a bad idea to submit an application and just update it once or twice a year....just in case. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Varmint,

Blunt is good. I appreciate it. Im just trying to change direction in aviation and get into the airline world and out of corporate.

Does anyone else have anything to add?

Many thanks,

Avrat

Latest resources

Back