Emirates Looks At Transpacific Operation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

8sugarsugar

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/awx_06_04_2013_p0-584853.xml

Uh Oh General Lee, what you say about this?

Originally Posted by General Lee
As long as unions, voters, and lobbyists can influence Congress members, it won't happen here. One Congressman from an airline hub city can throw a wrench in any foreign plan. Sorry Sugarsugar. Have fun in Dhaka.

Bye Bye---General Lee
^^^^^After G Lee tells the whole world that Emirates will Never EVER be granted 5th freedom rights; Emirates announces Milan-JFK 5th freedom the very next day

Last edited:
I read it, and think its a fantastic plan, until the local Gov'ts get an earful from their national airlines, complaining about EK. Also, I don't see it as much of a threat to local US traffic. When normal US travelers book long distance flights, most want the "miles", and EK isn't a part of an alliance. If they are going to buy tickets to go overseas, they want something in return, and if they don't live in a hub city that one of your 380s MAY eventually try service from, they don't want to connect on two different airlines, they'd rather make it easier with one.

So, if this is allowed eventually (local airlines will object), you may pick up some local INTL traffic, but doubtful on US frequent flyers looking for mileage awards. Good luck finding slots, gates, and places to put your 90 A380s. I hear Wichita, Kansas to Taipei may need some nonstop service. Go for it!

Bye Bye---General Lee

I read it, and think its a fantastic plan, until the local Gov'ts get an earful from their national airlines, complaining about EK. Also, I don't see it as much of a threat to local US traffic. When normal US travelers book long distance flights, most want the "miles", and EK isn't a part of an alliance. If they are going to buy tickets to go overseas, they want something in return, and if they don't live in a hub city that one of your 380s MAY eventually try service from, they don't want to connect on two different airlines, they'd rather make it easier with one.

So, if this is allowed eventually (local airlines will object), you may pick up some local INTL traffic, but doubtful on US frequent flyers looking for mileage awards. Good luck finding slots, gates, and places to put your 90 A380s. I hear Wichita, Kansas to Taipei may need some nonstop service. Go for it!

Bye Bye---General Lee

You do realize that Delta and other US airlines have created a seamless bag transfer experience for Emirates passengers. When you check in at Dubai you can tag your bag through on any carrier so you have no hassles when you arrive as far as having to re-check you own bag or even pay a stupid bag fee.

Only 35% of American's have passports and I think that the type of passengers Emirates is trying to attract from the above percentage really don't care about the mileage awards. They just want comfort and a good experience on such a long flight.

Apparently, Emirates has already quietly obtained 5th freedom rights from certain parts of the world including the US as is evident by the article in the #2 posting of this thread.

If Emirates can make money from Wichita to Taipei, they will. Much like in the past when certain pilot groups in the US were too proud to fly small jets, Emirates is not too proud to fly city pairs that you may laugh at when they know they can make money.

Last edited:
You do realize that Delta and other US airlines have created a seamless bag transfer experience for Emirates passengers. When you check in at Dubai you can tag your bag through on any carrier so you have no hassles when you arrive as far as having to re-check you own bag or even pay a stupid bag fee.

Only 35% of American's have passports and I think that the type of passengers Emirates is trying to attract from the above percentage really don't care about the mileage awards. They just want comfort and a good experience on such a long flight.

Apparently, Emirates has already quietly obtained 5th freedom rights from certain parts of the world including the US as is evident by the article in the #2 posting of this thread.

If Emirates can make money from Wichita to Taipei, they will. Much like in the past when certain pilot groups in the US were too proud to fly small jets, Emirates is not too proud to fly city pairs that you may laugh at when they know they can make money.

Nah, most Americans don't want to fly on a ME airline. Really, they don't. Who cares if there are bag transfers. Most business travelers want the miles, so they can next take the family somewhere fun for free. Your airline doesn't even belong to a major alliance. They will stick with the big 3. You may syphon some International pax, until those local Gov'ts get an earful from their own National airlines, and then you will get restricted, just like what just happened in Austria. Not only will they not allow you to fly A380s into Vienna, but they will not accept any pax via your QF partnership, and they won't give you additional frequencies on your current 777 flights. As you grow and encroach more on their (European and Asian) airlines profit centers, expect more backlash.

Did you see what happened in Congress today with regards to the Abu Dahbi US customs clearance? They added an amendment to prevent taxpayer funding. Now, that may not sound like much, but it could lead to more, and it also means Congress does listen to large unions and local groups, who actually re-elect those congressmen. That's how it works.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Nah, most Americans don't want to fly on a ME airline. Really, they don't. Who cares if there are bag transfers. Most business travelers want the miles, so they can next take the family somewhere fun for free. Your airline doesn't even belong to a major alliance. They will stick with the big 3. You may syphon some International pax, until those local Gov'ts get an earful from their own National airlines, and then you will get restricted, just like what just happened in Austria. Not only will they not allow you to fly A380s into Vienna, but they will not accept any pax via your QF partnership, and they won't give you additional frequencies on your current 777 flights. As you grow and encroach more on their (European and Asian) airlines profit centers, expect more backlash.

Did you see what happened in Congress today with regards to the Abu Dahbi US customs clearance? They added an amendment to prevent taxpayer funding. Now, that may not sound like much, but it could lead to more, and it also means Congress does listen to large unions and local groups, who actually re-elect those congressmen. That's how it works.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Couple points

I don't think brand loyalty in regards to airline miles is as strong as you think. Delta doesn't even give miles for tickets bought at bulk rate anymore for business travelers. Also, the Emirates Skywards programs is in partnership with JetBlue and Alaska. Its not that hard to cash in your Delta miles and start a new program. With the Qantas deal, it has the 3 alliances scared stupid because it erodes it. Just last year, Emirates was in similar talks with AA, but that is on hold.

G Lee, why don't "americans" want to fly on a ME Airline? I don't quite understand the logic. I have only heard praise from countless first time Emirates customers complaining how painful flying international on Delta and how they will never ever fly Delta again.

In fact, Emirates also takes flying away from of Fortune 100 corporate flight departments. Was just talking to a G-V driver who said his boss prefers to be dropped on in JFK, shuttled to the Emirates first class lounge and First class suite to Dubai and beyond for a cool $25,000.

I don't know that Emirates "takes flying away" from top-tier corporate departments. It could be that the math doesn't make sense when you look at flying one individual to multiple international destinations when compared to using an airline for the same trip. It's not an uncommon practice in the industry to do what your G-driver friend mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple points

I don't think brand loyalty in regards to airline miles is as strong as you think. Delta doesn't even give miles for tickets bought at bulk rate anymore for business travelers. Also, the Emirates Skywards programs is in partnership with JetBlue and Alaska. Its not that hard to cash in your Delta miles and start a new program. With the Qantas deal, it has the 3 alliances scared stupid because it erodes it. Just last year, Emirates was in similar talks with AA, but that is on hold.

G Lee, why don't "americans" want to fly on a ME Airline? I don't quite understand the logic. I have only heard praise from countless first time Emirates customers complaining how painful flying international on Delta and how they will never ever fly Delta again.

In fact, Emirates also takes flying away from of Fortune 100 corporate flight departments. Was just talking to a G-V driver who said his boss prefers to be dropped on in JFK, shuttled to the Emirates first class lounge and First class suite to Dubai and beyond for a cool $25,000.

Well, I think people want miles if they are going to travel across the globe, primarily because those points might give their family a free trip to Hawaii. It is important here in the States, but maybe not to businessmen in Lahore or Bangalaru. They don't care there, they are among the top in their countries to even fly anywhere, and they may not care. But here in the States, everyone wants something for free, and if their business buys them a business class ticket to Narita from LA, they will use those points later on. Also, the more the fly, the higher their "status" on that airline. Didn't you see that George Clooney film about being a top customer at AA? It was very important to him, and that is the same at the other 2 legacies. All 3 have invested in lounges, even DL picks up pax at the gates in ATL and JFK I believe in Porsche SUVs and takes them to their next connecting gate. Top flyers get top treatment, and everyone strives to hit the top here. Going on EK does nothing for their "status" at the big 3 here. As I said, maybe people in Pakistan and India don't care.

Also, if someone has a GV, they will take the GV to DXB. If a company has one, middle managers might not go on one, but those guys still want the points. Now the rich oil Barron from Kenya ? He probably doesn't care, and will fly on you to DXB and then onward, also because the big 3 American Airlines don't go to Kenya. You can have it!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Sorry General, having flown international on both Emirates and Delta (and most other Legacy carriers), and flying international many times a year - I would pick Emirates over Delta any time. Using the miles is becoming to restrictive, and the passenger experience just cannot be compared. Until Delta and others learn to treat their customers the way Emirates does - they will not have my business when I have a choice. All my colleagues would gladly forsake the miles to avoid an American Legacy on long flights.

Latest resources

Back