Emirates 'Inundated' - cancels roadshows

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FWIW...

A good buddy of mine has been at Emirates for 2.6 yrs. He should be upgrading to capt on the A330 (and I think the A340, as its the same type..?). Anyway, he has 1 goal.....get out of there. He wants to get his 500 PIC then apply at Cathay Pacific. (He says that CP hires captains, with the required time, based in the states). As far as fuel prices go, they basically fly out of Dubai with $1/gallon fuel. And pay lots more for the return flight.

In a nutshell, he does not like living there, and cant wait to get back to the states.

FWIW...

A good buddy of mine has been at Emirates for 2.6 yrs. He should be upgrading to capt on the A330 (and I think the A340, as its the same type..?). Anyway, he has 1 goal.....get out of there. He wants to get his 500 PIC then apply at Cathay Pacific. (He says that CP hires captains, with the required time, based in the states). As far as fuel prices go, they basically fly out of Dubai with $1/gallon fuel. And pay lots more for the return flight.

In a nutshell, he does not like living there, and cant wait to get back to the states.

To clarify some of your points:
-On the Airbus you upgrade on the 330, then after 6 months you do your CCQ on the 340.
-We do not fly out of Dubai on 1$/gallon fuel, we pay the market value.

The sharpest captains are usually the easiest to fly with!

Ain't that the truth.....

As for Emirates: They may be the only game in town pretty soon.
Heard the hireing in India is slowing down and some walking papers are being served?

Here at AA we are still waiting for numbers and when they finally come I am sure the stack of CV,s in Dubai will grow taller.:rolleyes:

To clarify some of your points:
-On the Airbus you upgrade on the 330, then after 6 months you do your CCQ on the 340.
-We do not fly out of Dubai on 1$/gallon fuel, we pay the market value.

Fair enough, I am just repeating what he told me.

So, if you are flying for Emirates and living there, what is your thoughts about it? Long term career plan, or waiting it out till you can get back to the states?

The PLAN is long term (You never know though...)
I am pretty new here, so I am not the best person to tell you.
While it's not perfect, I personally think Dubai is a good place to live. (Almost) no crime and permanent accomodations are generally very good. The driving issue that everybody talks about is there but looking at the OVERALL package, I don't see where else I could get a "better" deal. I have friend who has been here for over 15 yrs and still likes it while others are looking to get out. I guess it depends on your priorities.
So far I love it, and hope the honeymoon lasts long!

I've been at EK for 3 and a bit years now and am glad I'm here. I used to view EK as a stepping stone but I'm now here for the long haul. Just goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Cathay does not hire DECA in U.S.A. He has to apply as DEFO and wait for his time. Cargo side about 3 years and PAX I think 8 to 10 years. But Cathay is much better company than EK as you could be based anywhere you want U.S. or Canada.

Cathay does not hire DECA in U.S.A. He has to apply as DEFO and wait for his time. Cargo side about 3 years and PAX I think 8 to 10 years. But Cathay is much better company than EK as you could be based anywhere you want U.S. or Canada.

Thats interesting I know several people that went to Cathay and couldnt wait to leave some didnt even make 1 year.
That just goes to prove the point of one man's trash is another man's treasure...or sumthin like that. Good luck to everyone looking for a job, hopefully we will get some good news in aviation one of these days.

Latest resources

Back