• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates in talks with AA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I understand what trolling is. I just don't see how an EK pilot posting about a possible AA tie up is offensive or provocative? This board is designed for airline news, speculation, and rumors.

Qantas has already been helped immensely by the EK agreement. It might be just what AA needs to compete effectively against UAL/DAL. EK would provide AA with service to India, Africa and could fill in your pacific gap by eventually operating Japan, Thailand, and Phil to the USA.

So why are you angry again?

Wow, you assume a lot. Why would the Japanese, Thai, and Philippine Govts allow unrestricted access or open sky's to EK when it could hurt their own national airlines? And again, AA uses BA for connections to Africa. Going all the way to DXB and then back tracking to Africa takes longer. If someone wants to go to somewhere way out there, like to Conakry, then maybe. But to big cities like Nairobi or Joberg, not a chance.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Uhhhhhh, has anyone EVER thought BOS to Birmingham would work? Can you come up with a reason? Why wouldn't BA start that route? Google says Birmingham to London is 118 miles, or 2 hours 40 min by car. Are you sure it is more convenient? Not for people living in London. Only UAL flies from Birmingham to the US. AA tried it to JFK, and it failed. But, that great brand will obviously make it a hit..... We'll see about that, but to BOS? Whaaaaat?

Emirates used to do more 40 min legs, especially between other cities within the region, like Bahrain and Kuwait City. Lately, they cut that way back, adding FlyDubai 737-800s to do many of them. They figured it out, big planes cost a lot to do shorthaul. Both Qatari and Etihad have A320s doing those same type routes.

Maybe they need a consult. You obviously do, and you're welcome.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Apparently nobody has thought of it until now.

I certainly don't claim to know everything and I might have been wrong once or twice but this is what I think the EK commercial department has been looking at.

The Boston area has one of the largest Indian populations in the US. A quick online search shows that about 20% of Birmingham's population identifies as Asian descent (Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, or 'other') and according to Wikipedia Boston has the tenth largest Indian population in the US. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Emirates flies more indians and those of Indian descent than any other carrier. The brand has huge value in india and the UK. So I bet if they open the route it will fill up quickly. Sort of a "build it and they will come."

I just checked EK timetables. Six flights per day to Doha, five to Kuwait, and three to Bah. I think the fall off in Bahrain is largely due to that city becoming a conflict zone. Traffic inevitably falls off. I'm not sure if that constitutes a major pullback. I can't remember what Kuwait used to have but 5 wide bodies per day is high frequency. EK is struggling from a lack of planes. Often they shift planes and reduce frequency to free up aircraft for new routes.

Do you ever get tired of running your mouth on things you don't really understand? I would love to watch you have a sit down with an EK executive and listen to you explain how they are doing it all wrong.

Huh? You fly for a "loco"--- a "Low Cost" airline. That is the term everyone uses on PPRUNE and in Europe (you don't go there).
I see. I do go to Europe, but on my own accord and to whichever cities I please. My last time around was a Frankfurt/Zurich/Paris trip.

Anyway, your friends in the Sandpit may love it there, but that place does not have the protections that our Constitution has, and in most countries rape victims don't go to jail for adultery. Sorry, but hearing that made me sick. Hope nothing ever goes wrong for your friends, but that whole area "ain't fair." Nope. No thanks. You go out there and enjoy Pakistan turns at night

Our constitution is being violated by the corrupt politicians as is. Stop and frisk = direct violation of the 4th amendment. The NSA spying on just about everything we do, phone calls, internet, you name it. Keeping illegal recordings and records without warrants! Most of our freedoms have been farmed out since 9/11 under the guise of safety in the so called Patriot Act. I just call it the consitution shredder. Two kid run amok in Boston with homemade bombs, and the entire city goes under a lockdown. The city of Watertown had the 4th amendment trampeled as police drew out families from their homes without warrants, house by house in 2 neighborhoods. I'm far more worried about our constitutional rights being violated and shredded here at home than some "moral" based law in Dubai.

it may be your only chance to ever fly a widebody. Good luck!
Why do you assume everyone wants to fly a widebody? I really don't care. In fact, with an infant anything more than 3 days is too much for me. Currently I do 2 day trips and therefore get to see my infant every day. A 14 day 747 trip out of DTW to NRT and beyond? No thanks. I want to see my child grow especially in this critical stage. These days I do one trans con leg to a layover, and then one leg back the next day and days off. Sometimes 2 legs if it goes through LAX, but the concept is the same.

Wow, you assume a lot. Why would the Japanese, Thai, and Philippine Govts allow unrestricted access or open sky's to EK when it could hurt their own national airlines? And again, AA uses BA for connections to Africa. Going all the way to DXB and then back tracking to Africa takes longer. If someone wants to go to somewhere way out there, like to Conakry, then maybe. But to big cities like Nairobi or Joberg, not a chance.

Bye Bye---General Lee

“The open skies arrangement that the U.A.E. has with the U.S. allows us to take passengers on a fifth-freedom basis from the west coast and central points in the U.S. to points in Asia,” he said. “On the other side of the equation we have open skies with Singapore, Thailand and certain points in Japan.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...premacy-with-a380s-flying-asia-us-routes.html

I think you worked hard to get yourself to Delta and things didn't turned out as you planned. Instead of the glorious career you were expecting you ended up with more than 10 years of stagnation, struggle, and bankruptcy wages. Now Delta is finally pulling itself out of the rut and you find yourself past your prime without the golden pension and flying around a cattle car. You're not as rich or happy as you should have been given your employment with Delta.

It sucks and it's not fair. I agree. Total BS what's happened to the profession in the US.

Then you see a SWA CA making 300k+/year or a 35 year old Emirates 777CA heading to Mauritius for a layover with 17 international cabin crew in their 20's and it drives you crazy. That should have been you since you work for Delta dammit. So you have to go on and on about lubbock (sp?) layovers or how bad dubai is to make yourself feel better.

But as you said in another thread at least you get to enjoy your sundae as you fly across the Atlantic. Does granny put nuts on top for you and tell you about the Convair days? I'm sure everyone is burning with envy.

Last edited:
Green,

Seriously, read the first two posts. You don't think they were written specifically to 'push buttons'. Maybe aimed at a specific user? How do you think AA pilots would feel if a significant portion of their widebody flying was 'operated by Emirates'. I honestly think this is wild speculation. The legacies are very profitable right now. I think many 'yanks' are hitting the 7-8 year mark at EK and would like to leave the sandpit. However, they don't want to start from scratch at a legacy. So instead, they dream of US domiciles at EK or EK taking over a portion of a US legacy's widebody international flying. It is wishful thinking...

Furloughed80

I guess I read it differently. I was thinking they were envisioning AA codesharing with EK on the DXB-DFW, DxB-JFK, DXB-ORD(future), DXB-MIA(future), etc. Then Emirates can bring Indians in to the states and AA would move them where they need to go. Of course the reverse would apply as well. AA would be able to offer flights from anywhere in the states to Hyderabad for example. Potentially there would be some Pacific tie up as well. I don't think anybody expects EK to takeover Americans' current route structure or offer pilot bases in DFW. It would be a growth thing for both sides.

I have flown with quite a few Americans. I think the majority are sticking around. Not much to go back to these days. But I have flown with a few guys who are looking for a job back home. They have some money saved up and want to go relax stateside.

I think you worked hard to get yourself to Delta and things didn't turned out as you planned. Instead of the glorious career you were expecting you ended up with more than 10 years of stagnation, struggle, and bankruptcy wages. Now Delta is finally pulling itself out of the rut and you find yourself past your prime without the golden pension and flying around a cattle car. You're not as rich or happy as you should have been given your employment with Delta.

It sucks and it's not fair. I agree. Total BS what's happened to the profession in the US.

Then you see a SWA CA making 300k+/year or a 35 year old Emirates 777CA heading to Mauritius for a layover with 17 international cabin crew in their 20's and it drives you crazy. That should have been you since you work for Delta dammit. So you have to go on and on about lubbock (sp?) layovers or how bad dubai is to make yourself feel better.

But as you said in another thread at least you get to enjoy your sundae as you fly across the Atlantic. Does granny put nuts on top for you and tell you about the Convair days? I'm sure everyone is burning with envy.

the best psychological profile of General Lee to date.

“The open skies arrangement that the U.A.E. has with the U.S. allows us to take passengers on a fifth-freedom basis from the west coast and central points in the U.S. to points in Asia,” he said. “On the other side of the equation we have open skies with Singapore, Thailand and certain points in Japan.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...premacy-with-a380s-flying-asia-us-routes.html

Funny stuff Green. I see it differently. Emirates may have openskies with those countries, but larger cities like Tokyo, and London on the European side, will not grant slots to EK, due to protectionism of their own national airlines. So, what will your airline do? Pick far flung city pairs (BOS to Birmingham??) and hope it sticks. BOS would probably love to have your business, even it is not full. What about Asia to the US? Unless it is a 3am arrival into LAX, good luck getting gates at popular arrival times. Gate space and landing slots will keep your expansion small at the largest airports, around the World.

Not a accurate profile about me or Delta. Delta has done great since the merge with NWA. Profits are way up,(including profit sharing)the integration went well, new contract with higher pay, upgrades are starting again with new planes coming, etc. Not nearly as bad as you state. How about Emirates? People on PPRUNE seem to disagree with you. Direct Entry Captains stifle FO upgrades. Housing contracts not the same as before. I could easily post a thread from there and list all of the complaints, but that would take up too much space. To top it off, the traffic is horrible including the drivers over there, and those pesky laws are always there to bite you. Throw in unbelievable heat and humidity most of the year, and it honestly sounds terrible. Expats from all over are waiting for better opportunities back home, and 15,000 retirements in the States over the next decade won't help you. But, you will have an influx of Indian pilots from Jet Airways and Spicejet who will gladly throw gear for you to Conakry. Enjoy that Green!

Bye Bye---General Lee

How's the economy currently in India? Not great. How about the instability in the ME itself? Not good. Does AA currently fly JFK to Milan MXP? I think your thought process leaves out big gaps. What did AC do with Etihad, again? Did Canada allow extra flights? Nope. They will codeshare through LHR, and a lot of the AC traffic from Canada to LHR has O&D traffic, not as many onward connections to Abu Dhabi and onward. What you also don't want to see is the European Airlines dislike of your Sandpit hub, and it's affect on their own profits. I see that as a hindrance to your global reach. They will do what they have to make sure they protect their marketshare, and using political influence from their elected leaders has already helped in some countries. It won't get easier. Buy up Indian airlines if you can, but infrastructure problems at those major Indian airports may last for another decade. You should know that fv, you do night turns to India and Pakistan all the time.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Personally, I hope no one hooks up with islamists. But current economic conditions aren't going to be a hindrance. When the economy is in the tank, you can get in cheaper. Someone will hook up with them...unfortunately...?

Latest resources

Back