• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates hub busting. UK-US

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yay! Another nail in the coffin of this once-great profession. And American pilots on this site are happily cheering on its demise.

Wow, I don't think any US Major thinks those city pairings could be profitable, or they would have tried it. I think you guys should also try Newcastle to St. Louis, and Southampton to Pensacola. Go for it! Yes!

Bye Bye---General Lee

I'd be careful with those generalizations. Didn't people say that about SWA in the early 80's.

GL

Agreed on some of the city pairs mentioned - don't make sense.

But if you were to take CDG-LAX for example, this is one of the higher yielding routes for AF. From what I can gather on a thread on Airliners.net, EK has the rights and it is only operated by AF.

fv

Hub busting is the whole reason to launch out of Birmingham and Manchester. Heathrow is full. I think it will be very successful. G.L. seems to be the only one laughing at the concept while B.A., Virgin, and some US Majors are crapping their trousers.

Gotta love the Sheik's cheerleaders....go team! Allahu Akbar,......and a sim sala bid shout out to the Sahib.

Oh so it's okay for NWA (Delta now) and United to fly form Tokyo NRT to just about every major city in Asia (Singapore, Hong Kong, Manila, Shanghai, Bangkok, list goes on) because Japan lost the war, but Emirates wanting to fly from Europe to the USA would be wrong? How about we pull our pilots out from the Japan to Asian markets before we start going off on Emirates pilots that are soon going to fly from Europe to the USA.

You mean the fifth freedom routes won after WWII? Japan didn't have airlines immediately after WWII, and allowed NW and Pan Am to have the rights while they built up their own. NWA actually had rights out of Haneda airport in downtown Tokyo, but were moved to Narita in the 70's I believe. DL actually had a Frankfurt hub also, bought through the Pan Am asset buy. (Which was later given up unfortunately). Pan Am kept the air bridge open between Frankfurt and West Berlin. What again has EK done for the US, and where could they set up a hub big enough with available gate space? I think Flyer 1015 you are just aiming for something, and totally missing.

Bye Bye---General Lee

GL

Agreed on some of the city pairs mentioned - don't make sense.

But if you were to take CDG-LAX for example, this is one of the higher yielding routes for AF. From what I can gather on a thread on Airliners.net, EK has the rights and it is only operated by AF.

fv

Air Tahiti Nui also flies a daily A340, btw. But, most of the AF flights contain connections through CDG, as well as locals. If EK does add CDG to LAX, I am sure AF and maybe other Skyteam airlines will add flights, and clog the route. Gate space is also very limited at most major US airports, and EK adding Birmingham to Boston and Manchester to Miami shows other larger cities (in both the US and England) may be full. Those routes just seem like darts were thrown blindfolded. Even Milan to JFK is interesting, since 3 other airlines with connectability in the US already fly it. Hmmmmm.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
The primary reason EK is pushing for Europe-N.A. trans-atlantic routes and Asia-N.A. trans-pac routes is because Dubai is almost maxed out as a connection point. Not in terms of capacity, but because there are a finite number of destinations in the world that you can connect through Dubai. This next step in the 'evolution' of EK will be much more challenging for them and is far from a sure thing. Their growth rate in the near future will be drastically slower than it was in the 2000's. What does this mean for your typical EK pilot? Probably a reduction in T&Cs and more abuse from EK management. As EK's need for pilots abates and while there is a long line of pilots from the world willing to accept a position at EK, there is no reason to offer a very competitive 'package' anymore.

GL

You ask the question: "What has EK done for the US?"

It is the single largest customer for the B777 in the world. Boeing employs 175,000 with another 50,000 related.

Great for American jobs

fv

Latest resources

Back