Embraer Performance Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CHQ Pilot said:
Would you still apply a penalty if a ENG A/I valve was secured opened due to an MEL? I've seen several instances where one valve was secured open since there is no limitation to temperature on the lip (hence it fail safes open).

Eng A/I Valve secured open has its own penalty which can be found in the MEL. It only applies if it was otherwise an non-icing penalty. I.E. the other valve is closed. If both are open, the normal A/I penalty applies.

All you guys are right about the engine bleed taking prioroty over APU bleed, and about the wing anti-ice valves opening if the override switch is in ENG past 25 KTS. However, the original question was regarding what to do if there is no icing in fligt, only contaminated runway. I belive he wants to know what to enter in the MFD and wheater or not to take the weight penalty.
I think the best would be to take the penalty and enter OFF in the MFD so you don't get an EICAS message, however, talk to the people inn training, or Greg Wooley, that way we all do the same for a change.
Let us know if you find out what they want.

i can tell you right now you need to take the penalty. its either considered on or its off. if any bleed source is being used you take the penalty...the engine is not producing the same amount of thrust. it really has nothing to do with whether your picking up ice or not. when they are open(the lips) and on auto you assume worse case scenerio, like everything else in aviation. im not the training dept but i can almost guarantee thats what they are going to say. but then again i may be wrong, i havnt looked at that stuff in a while so go easy on me.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

please read the airplane manual:

you have to take penalty for anti ice on in the FADEC, you will need to swith the selector to eng before taxi unless you want the caution message and maybe pick up some ice on the engines inlets due to contamination of the taxiways/runways. After TO if no ice encounter you might want to swith the knob to auto, no rush needed. If you forget to do so, you will get a caution msg: NO ICE ANTI ICE ON. No big deal.

Anti ice on for FADEC = ice dect on eng, bleeds on and no reason wathsoever to turn the packs off. If there is any perf need to switch the (one or both) packs off the system logic will do so. That usually happen when temp is above certain values...

If you have bleeds off and enter ice condition you will get MASTER WARNING msg: Ice cond/wing and stab anti-ice INOP.

cheers

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back