• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Embraer Performance Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do what your company SOP says. If you have to take a weight hit and leave revenue behind, it's not your problem. And don't let anybody tell you different.

Flechas said:
Your gear.

Again, WHAT PERFORMANCE? or LACK OF!

The bicycle chain for "Your gear" has been stloen by those short people at Embraer to power the Whistling Sh!tcan of Death.

voteno said:
Again, WHAT PERFORMANCE? or LACK OF!

The bicycle chain for "Your gear" has been stloen by those short people at Embraer to power the Whistling Sh!tcan of Death.

I know what you were refering to, I was just trying to make a joke here, but I guess you are too dense for that.

if im not mistaken with all three valves open the apu valve automatically closes...you cannot put three bleed sources into the system at one time.

I'm pretty sure that is correct as well. Open the #1 Engine bleed (with the engine running of course) or the #2 with the crossbleed open, and the APU bleed closes. System logic.

Yeah, engine bleeds have priority anytime they are turned on. I'm not sure that really has anything to do with what was being discussed here though. The question was, is it okay to takeoff with the engine bleeds closed, APU bleed open, packs on, FADEC Ref Anti-Ice ON, have the ice detection in ENG, and not apply a performance penalty. Yes, the lips will remain heated, but that heat is still coming from engine bleed that is taken out prior to the bleed valve. Whoever told you this probably thought the lip heat would come from APU bleed in this configuration, which isn't accurate. Anytime engine bleed is being used for anti-ice, the performance penalties should be applied. Also, if the FADEC Takeoff Data was selected for Anti Ice On, its going to calculate the reduce thrust setting during takeoff, obviously resulting in a longer takeoff roll and reduced climb performance. So the performance hit is a must regardless. Then, as someone else mentioned, if you enter icing conditions just after takeoff prior to getting the engine bleeds on you're setting yourself up for a master caution and some messages during a critical phase of flight. Finally, its just not the right way to do it. I agree with what someone else said though, Chicaga, talk to the training department about it. Thats what they are there for.

Last edited:
Would you still apply a penalty if a ENG A/I valve was secured opened due to an MEL? I've seen several instances where one valve was secured open since there is no limitation to temperature on the lip (hence it fail safes open).

Also, when you set the A/I on the TO page, isn't that just preprogramming the FADEC to assure performance in the event of an engine failure? I may be wrong, but I thought it was to make sure before you left the ground that if you lost an engine and encountered icing conditions you would still have enough power available to meet the required climb gradient. If you didn't have enough reserve with the information entered on the TO page you would receive the ATTCS NO MARGIN warning. Like I said I may be wrong though.

Latest resources

Back