Embraer only a/c Mfg of ethanol powered A/C

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lowecur

Interesting article. I didn't think you could use ethanol in a turbine, but it sounds like Embraer is going to do it. I hope AWA doesn't buy any, otherwise you may have the pilots using straws to siphon a high.:)

The Next Petroleum With oil prices going through the roof, so-called biofuels are at last becoming a viable alternative to gasoline and diesel.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]By Stefan Theil[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Newsweek International[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Aug. 8, 2005 issue - A couple of years ago, when the cost of oil started to soar, Joel Rosado didn't think twice. The owner of an air-taxi service in Mineiros, Brazil, with a fleet of 12 planes, he needed to do what he could to contain fuel costs—he spends 20 percent of his revenues each year on 300,000 or so liters of fuel. So he rang up aircraft-maker Embraer, put in an order for the latest-model single-propeller Ipanema plane and tanked up—with alcohol. Flying on ethanol (a form of alcohol) distilled from sugar cane slashed the fuel bill for his Ipanema by 40 percent, at no cost to performance. Now Rosado is buying another brand-new Ipanema and plans to convert his 11 other planes to alcohol, too. The only problem: Embraer, the world's first manufacturer of ethanol-fueled planes, now has so many customers that there's a two-year wait list to convert gasoline engines to alcohol. Embraer is now looking into converting the T25, a military-training turbojet, to alcohol. "At this rate," says Embraer executive Acir Padilha, "the gasoline motor is headed for extinction."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Its demise is not restricted to the air in Brazil. The country's sugar-cane fields now feed a network of 320 ethanol plants, with 50 more planned in the next five years. Most of Brazil's 20 million drivers still tank up with fuel that is cut with 25 percent ethanol, but a growing fleet of new-generation (flex-fuel) cars can run on straight ethanol, which goes for as little as half the cost of gas at every service station from downtown Rio to the remote Amazon outback. To keep up with demand, local sugar barons and giant multinationals will invest some $6 billion in new plantations and distilleries over the next five years. And Brazilian ethanol tankers are plying the seven seas, supplying fuel-hungry countries like South Korea and Japan as they begin to diversify away from oil. No wonder there's talk of Brazil's fast becoming "the Saudi Arabia of ethanol."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Unlike oil, however, no one country dominates the market for ethanol and other so-called biofuels. In the United States, the use of ethanol made from corn has surged, thanks to new clean-air man—dates and a fat federal tax credit. Production is almost as high as Brazil's, doubling since 2001 and already replacing 3 percent of all transport fuel. The energy bill passed by the U.S. Congress last week will double ethanol production again. In Europe, Germany has become the world's biggest producer of "biodiesel," a high-performing, high-octane fuel—the German variety is made from rapeseed—that is cutting into sales of regular diesel at the nation's pumps. In more than 30 countries from Thailand to India, Australia to Malawi, crops as diverse as oil palms, soybeans and coconuts are being grown for fuel. Venezuela, Indonesia and Fiji announced biofuel initiatives just last week. They hope to emulate Brazil, which is revolutionizing both the countryside and the auto industry.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Has the inevitable transition from petroleum to next-generation fuels begun, right under our very eyes? Certainly no one expects oil to disappear overnight—or even in the next one or two decades. Even after the recent surge, farm-grown biofuels like ethanol and biodiesel still account for only a small fraction of fossil-fuel use, as do other renewables such as wind and solar power. But thanks to skyrocketing oil prices, worries about climate change and growing anxiety over the future security of the world's supply of crude, the prospects for ethanol and other biofuels to make major inroads in oil use are bright. Even as much of the world has focused on hydrogen cars, which may still be decades away, biofuels have, in the words of a Canadian report, begun to pose "the first serious challenge to petroleum-based fuel in a century."[/font]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8769619/site/newsweek/

I read an article in the Wall Street Journal a couple of years ago about a jet fuel that the US Navy and the airlines are looking at made out of a mixture of petroleum and coal oils. If we can diversify the supply then we should alright whether or not you believe all of the 'chicken littles' running around crying about how the sky is falling.

Is that a picture of the infamous Dave "Sonny" Barger? I see the book "Hells Angels" is making a comeback. :D

Are you sure these planes are turbines? I'm guessing they are piston powered. . .
After reading the rest of the article, we may have finally found a use for Kudzu!!

Last edited:
Yeah Lowecur,
that is the imfamous Sonny Barger, thought I'd use something a little different for avtar. Esp. since I just bought a 2005 Harley Springer. Of course I got run over on the Interstate less than three weeks later. I'm ok, too mean to die(just ask my ex) but the bike is in the hospital till the end of Aug. Oh well, what does not kill us only makes us stronger.

It says only one reference to Turbine engines:

Embraer is now looking into converting the T25, a military-training turbojet, to alcohol. "At this rate," says Embraer executive Acir Padilha, "the gasoline motor is headed for extinction."

Let's hope ALL turbine engines can be changed. If not the old piston pwered Diesel-engined planes might make a comback! DC-3 hopping cross-country powered by vegetable oil:)

BRAZIL is the leader in Bio-diesel production, so it doesn't surprise me that EMBRAER is trying to make ETHANOL and bio-powered engines. I think they are doing a great thing. Let's hope they achieve success with Turbine engines. THIS would be a wonderful thing.

One bad thing, but our economies and energy security, I believe are the top priority: Bye-Bye Rainforests of Brazil, we need that land for our biofuels! Oh well, they were great why they lasted:( We'll have to worry about global warming after the current energy crunch.

Jet

As far as liquid fuel from coal goes, we have had that for 20+ years. My father made the worst mistake a scientist can make then. He found what he was paid to look for, a liquid fuel from bituminious coal so they werem all laid off. Who knows when it will be cost effective/viable.

The Nazis liquified coal during WWII when their petroleum began to run low to fuel their war machine. It's been done for a long, long time.

From http://www.reportonenergy.com/endofoil/
Deffeyes suggests that coal will make a comeback and that Fischer-Tropsch conversion-the process by which the Nazi regime turned coal into gasoline to keep its Panzers running during WWII-might become commonplace.

Jet

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back