Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Embarassing...but your opinion please...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jcaldwell

For those of you in the regional life I'd like your opinion on this....

Presently I am 4000 TT 3500 multi piston PIC (C402C) for a part 135 operation, ATP, age 29.

Now the embrassing part...

:D

just after turning 18 I got mixed up with a bad crowd, ended up charged with a whole bunch of drug and theft related charges. That was dropped after they realised they picked up the wrong person, but they slapped me on the wrist with a conspiracy to be a moron and ruin your life charge for which ajudication was witheld. This means that you are not convicted of anything and may check 'no' to have you ever been convicted of a felony, misdemeanor and so on....
The problem is that the charges they gave me (even though it was someone else) would make John Gotti blush. Unfortunate, but that is the situation.

So I put it to you, how would I fare in a regional interview if I aced the interview and sim ride and it came time for the background check. Do I plead my case to the regional's review board, even try at all or just see what happens. It was after all 11 years ago and of course I've been close to sainthood ever since (the Pope just missed me).

Your input is appreciated....safe flying and keep the speed up in the turns.

what was the charge?

most applications only ask if you have ever been convicted of something. check no and move on. If they ask you in the interview if you ever been arrested, you're going to have to tell them what you were arrested for and explain. We cant help you if we dont know the charge. Although if its bogus, (they really had the wrong guy) then its bogus and the records should reflect that in which case there isnt a problem.

Check your local and state records to see if it even shows up. If you weren't convicted then it won't show. The FBI background checks show felonies only, depending on what your state turns over to them. However it does show arrest(s) not convictions. In this case I would get the court records and have them as proof you weren't convicted.

Whatever you do, Don't lie. Even if you're pretty sure that there's no way anybody could find out, if you lie and they catch you at it. (even years later) You'll get canned.

RJPilott has good point. I don't know what the record looks like even if it is there. I'll look into it.
I agree with FlyinBrian, it is best to be upfront and straight forward.

To answer RJPilott the charge was conspiracy to committ theft. The real guy they wanted fled to the Dominican Republic with their money, so they threw everything at me even though I was a bystander.

I had a very similar situation. It actally cost me a job once. Take it from someone who knows.. be upfront and tell prospective employers about it. If they find it later and you didnt tell them first it could reflect poorly on you.

Just my .02

i would say that if you where never convicted then you dont have anything to hide. for the applications that ask have you ever been convicted of a crime then check no, but if its asks have you ever been arrested then you should check yes. one option you can do is get the case expunged. once it is expunged, it is like it never happened and there wont be anything in your background check.

Hmm, careful with that one. I know of someone who lost a job after a so-called "expunged" incident came back to bite him. Read the fine print. Thoroughly research the legal status of your case. And make sure you follow the directions to the letter.

I've heard airlines can find out even if you've had it expunged. Don't report it if it asks if you've been convicted. If in an interview situation and they ask you about arrests, be honest and explain it, including especially what you learned from it.

Granted it wasn't for a flight crewmember position, I interviewed with Delta for a Flight Ops intern position. They didn't ask, but I volunteered info about my arrest, explained it with sincerity, and took responsibility for it, even though those f*kkn a-hole cops screwed me to set an example to others.

never would've suspected how corrupt the system could get until I got pulled in...always thought those critics were just paranoid.

Latest resources

Back