Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

usna91

EMB Guy

Re. your post 12/05/2002 in thread “US rejects United Bid for Loan Guarantee Post.”

In reference to your not-so-subtle dig towards military pilots (“Actually a fairly large percentage have little or no civilian flying experience which becomes rather evident during IOE. I of course refer to the grads of the taxpayer funded flight schools of USN and USAF”):

One reason you have the freedom and liberty to have a job is because of military pilots. And yes, you also have the right to free speech which in our society gives you the right to make ignorant comments about things you know little about. Why do you have a chip on your shoulder? Why do you feel it necessary to generalize and in fact make a generalization with no merit in truth?

There are good civilian pilots and good military pilots. What do you know about military aviation?

Here are a few things for you to think about what it takes to be a military aviator:

Every pilot in my squadron had a four-year degree. The vast majority had Master’s degrees. We had an ivy-league grad, an MIT grad, and 10 Annapolis grads. To get to the boat you had to go through incredibly rigorous flying training with high pressure stakes; it was tough and many did not make it through training.

What’s my point? Darwin. Lots of people were weeded out in the process of winning their wings. The ones who made it were probably:
a) High school scholar-athletes who finished at the top of their class
b) Graduates of prestigious 4-year universities
c) Selected for flight school through competitive screening
d) Over-achievers in demanding flying training
e) Combat vets who served this great nation under hostile enemy fire (those who didn’t serve in combat still did the Lord’s work in a dangerous environment so you could be free)

My former squadron mates were all high-caliber people who would have been successful in any profession. But more than just their intrinsic talent is the integrity and grit they possess. It should not be a surprise to you or anyone else when a Major airline (or any other smart corporation) harvests this talent first. Yes, they are first (not with all but with many including hiring now). I am making no comparisons to any other gene pools here. Just let the facts speak for themselves. What company wouldn’t want to hire folks who have been through the experiences and training found in a typical military pilot?

Our training was paid for by Uncle Sam, and yes you the taxpayer. It was great training too. It’s the best. In return we were obligated to serve (a minimum of 7 years pay back) for flight training. It was well worth it and personally there are no regrets but the cost of service was six month cruises to exotic far away places. After a few of those you start to yearn for mama and the kids. You realize the “cost” of the training was pretty expensive (even though it looks “free” to the uninformed layperson). You decide to make life decisions and changes.

When we military guys and gals make the decision to trade in our military uniforms for new civilian ones most of us realize we still have a lot to learn about flying. There are probably a few “know-it-alls” or bad attitudes but I doubt this is the norm. I doubt it because from day one in an American squadron it’s not tolerated; you learn that even the high-time guys need to treat every flight as a learning experience and we debrief to a high standard of constructive criticism on every flight (to everyone in the flight including the flight lead). Don’t judge a group based on an experience you may have had with one person. This type of prejudicial thinking will get you in trouble. Or, maybe it’s just jealousy (an ugly emotion indeed)?

Those of us who took the plunge to transition from military to civilian life did so for a variety of reasons. Most of us just want a better family lifestyle more than anything. To that end we are willing to work hard and excel for our new employers because doing well and succeeding in what we do is part of our fabric. Sloth isn’t something you find in a boat squadron. Neither is failure. A few of us don’t suffer fools very well either.

Former Military Pilots who’ve done all right:
President George Herbert Walker Bush
President George Walker Bush
Senator John McCain
Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld

Let the flames begin.

Last edited:
flameless.....

Well put & put well usna-

Many "opinions" posted here are done so with much emotion, and little thought. Nice to see a well written, concious response to a post.

Happy Holidays!

Tred

Flameless #2

Great post. You must remember that EMB guy hasn't seen the big picture. He's only been at one airline. I am civilian but have flown with many fine military pilots. I also have had the pleasure to do Union work with ex-military personell. They bring a valuable card to the table. EMB guy seems knowledgable but he/she definetely carries a "chip" on the shoulder. I'm sure he/she is tons of fun on the road.

Fly Safe,

Quite frankly, Emb Guy's posts have been quite intelligent, thought provoking and educating. Most of what he says is right on.

He DOES see the big picture. Perhaps, it IS because he doesn't work for a major. Sometimes its a lot easier seeing the picture outside looking in!

emb...

It would appear that EMB has just discovered that most of us jet-jockeys for Uncle Sam are "Passionate" about a few things. We do place Intergity and Grit way up there on the ladder, along with pride and loyalty. I have flown for Uncle Sam for over 20 years and to each and every Tax Payer I say thank you for the training. At the same time I ask for just a small amount of repsect not for me but for the group of folks I represent.

The people I am talking about our my "brother at arms". Playing War in training is far different than really being shot at. For those of us who have done it. We cherished two things: 1. We had been given the best training available and it paid off. 2. We had the support of a grateful nation. As we again appear to be on the brink of placing even more of our folks in harms way I would ask that EMB walk a mile in my boots. Most of us who do it for a living know that War is the ugliest thing mankind can do to himself.

As for why future employers like to hire us: The list is long but here are a few choice reasons:
Intergity-we test is daily...
Sacrifice-it is a way of life...
Loyalty-stay with the same employer 10, 20 or even 30 years...
Maturity-not quite the cowboys the media likes to portray us as...
Pride-we try our best every day or someone dies...
Fun-we are a gregarious bunch... just ask us...

EMB if you are still reading this don't take it as a slam. You and your peers may possess all of the same ingredients. You may even be twice the pilot I am. The key is you have not had an opporunity to demonstrate it and we do it daily...

Good Luck, God Speed, to all of you...

"Krunch"

There ain't noth'n worse than a mil guy being handed aviation on a silve platter, then p1ss'n it away. By that I mean leaving the cockpit to chase rank or deciciding that he didn't like it or was to insecurer to make the jump to the civilian side. Just remember even though ya'll are mil pilots, us civies are the only ones that have to meet standards to hold a license. Just incase ya'll are wonder ing I grew up an airforce brat, my ole man flew for twenty some years, and he was a stand eval pilot, and an IP. So I ain't blow'n smoke.

Country Wild said:
There ain't noth'n worse than a mil guy being handed aviation on a silve platter, then p1ss'n it away. By that I mean leaving the cockpit to chase rank or deciciding that he didn't like it or was to insecurer to make the jump to the civilian side. Just remember even though ya'll are mil pilots, us civies are the only ones that have to meet standards to hold a license. Just incase ya'll are wonder ing I grew up an airforce brat, my ole man flew for twenty some years, and he was a stand eval pilot, and an IP. So I ain't blow'n smoke.
First, it's Stan-Eval pilot, and if your "ole man" was one them, you should know that mil pilots take as many (and in many cases more) checkrides as civilian pilots. They have to meet standards to pass those checkrides just like the FAA checks. The easiest checkride I ever took was my FAA ATP check. Also nearly every mil pilot I know also holds at least a Commercial/Inst license as well. You "ain't blowing smoke," you are full of it!

<<<There ain't noth'n worse than a mil guy being handed aviation on a silve platter, then p1ss'n it away. By that I mean leaving the cockpit to chase rank or deciciding that he didn't like it or was to insecurer to make the jump to the civilian side. Just remember even though ya'll are mil pilots, us civies are the only ones that have to meet standards to hold a license. Just incase ya'll are wonder ing I grew up an airforce brat, my ole man flew for twenty some years, and he was a stand eval pilot, and an IP. So I ain't blow'n smoke.>>>

silve, deciciding, insecurer, incase, wonder ing

Sorry Country Wild, could you possibly define these words? Many of us are not as well educated as you and need a little help understanding this post.

dissed

I think USNA's point was that EMB guy made an offensive comment. No one here should want to get in a civ versus mil flame session. The point is EMB guy made a comment about a group of people that was rude and unnecessary. Not surprised USNA took offense. Anyone with bad "attitudes" about "groups" of people who wants a job in the majors should worry; they don't even deserve an interview. I've seen civ and mil falter in IOE. I've seen civ and mil do great too. Most fall somewhere in between. It's unfair to categorize individual performance based on a sweeping generality that isn't true. I think USNA was spot on to take a shot at EMB for making a bigoted and unfair post.

Imagine if a military guy said "regional civilian pilots are generally bozo the clowns."

All hell would break loose and more than a few civ guys would have a flame session spouting off about how "all mil guys are prima donnas....blah, blah, blah"

EMB should think twice before he/she hits send next time. More importantly EMB needs to adapt the mentality or don't bother applying here. Where do you work by the way EMB? I might be able to make some money shorting your company stock.

Latest resources

Back