EMB Guy's "Chip"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fredflyer,

What you are describing, sounds like a normal day at Atlas, Fine Arrow, Evergreen or any other global (roach) freight carrier (minus the flight planning). Don't understand what the big deal is since you get used to it after a while, but I'm sure you impressed couple domestic RJ drivers with all your bull$hit.

And of the "busiest" airports you listed FRA came in at 17th, and AMS at 21st on the "top 30 busiest airports in world list" (ACI Traffic Data: World airports ranking by total aircraft movement- 2001) At all those places they stick you on 15 mile final for an ILS, all you have to do is sit back and enjoy the ride, which you can't say for many airports in the US.

dieterly,
My point exactly, the dig on military pilots was that we didn't have the SAME experience, I just wanted to say (and as you pointed out above) that that was not necessarily the case.

Sorry about the mis-information about how busy the airports were, I didn't have the ACI traffic data on hand when I was ranting and raving.:rolleyes:

I hope I impressed somebody with all that stuff, it was a lot of typing to do :)

Last edited:
Here's some flame bait -
Are the Air Farce, Squids, and Army pukes really considered to be "in the military" I remember my Drill Instuctors at PI (Parris Island for you slimey civilians) tell us there are 2 types of people in the world Marines and those who wish they could be Marines.
From a Desert Shield/Storm Jarhead groundpounder - best of luck to all you non Marine hackers in this next go around - just remember when you get your butt in a bind just call us Marines and we'll bail you guys out AGAIN!!! heh, heh, heh
FLAME AWAY 9 go ahead and drop the nape!)

Military v. Civilian...

Okay gang... here's the deal. Some military pilots are total boneheads; however, most military pilots are great people who are a joy to fly with. Some civilian pilots are total boneheads; however, most civilian pilots are great people who are a joy to fly with. That being said, everyone needs to realize that this argument has been going on for a loooong time and will likely continue. Each background has its own set of challenges and difficulties.

Surviving is the common thread. Military guys have to survive: long deployments away from the family, potential of getting shot down (a biggie), long duty days. Civilian guys have to survive: years of low pay... eating rice and beans, working for unscrupulous operators who will tarnish your PRIA record at the drop of a hat and/or get you killed (a biggie), long duty days (ooohhh... did we find another common thread?)

This is what everyone needs to realize: What you did before you arrived at (fill in airline name here) is nice for conversation. Beyond that, once you arrive at (fill in airline name here) the only thing that REALLY matters is what YOU can do to contribute the success of said airline. History is great for the bar, but once everyone gets to where they are going, they are all in the same position on the airline totem pole.

Airlines generally hire people because ther are TRAINABLE. I would submit to the readers here that 99% of the military AND civilian pilots out there are trainable. That's probably why they got hired. Granted there are other factors such as networking, squadron buds, or the interview captain who was also in such-and-such organization/squadron... you can argue those points until you are blue in the face, but they don't change the fact that, once you are hired, what really matters is what you can do to make your company successful.

Aside from that little tirade, civilian pilots are still better looking!!
:D

right bettor

The point wasn't to get into an argument about civilian versus military. Suffice it to say it's apples and oranges. The thread started because one person (whose background doesn't matter) made a gross generalization about military pilots that isn't true. To make matters worse, that same person (who has negative preconceived notions about mil pilots) participates in the hiring process at his/her airline.

That should bother everyone who reads this.

I know the bad poetry is from another thread but here goes.........

Millitarys Swell
Civillian is Better
America Rocks

Thank You very much..... Goodnight!!!!

exagony,
I think marine pilots are also great guys, I've flown with a bunch of them. You just have to make sure you.....talk.....really.....slow......and.....use......small.......words.;)

rightbettor,
Civ guys are better looking, that's why mil guys get flight suits, it evens things out. Just out of curiosity (from your name) do you play craps?

Okey dokey

usna91,

I understand your position. Point well taken. My "rant" was for the numerous other guys who argue (on this thread and in the past) this ridiculous point of mil v. civ. and who is better. So no hard feelings, okay?

fredflyer,

Yes I like craps, but I do not play with money that I cannot afford to loose. As of late, I haven't been playing craps much.

exagony said:
Here's some flame bait -
just remember when you get your butt in a bind just call us Marines and we'll bail you guys out AGAIN!!! heh, heh, heh
FLAME AWAY 9 go ahead and drop the nape!)

What are the hardest 4 years of a Marine Aviators Life???

1st Grade

Wasn't napalm but I couldn't resist :D

Latest resources

Back