Eliminate age 60 rule petition

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
post age 60 employment

You are assuming that everyone retirng at age 60 is a major airlines pilot with a nice retirement. Most age 60 pilots I know do not fit in that category, and getting a job a age 60 if you have no little airplane experieince is tuff, and you can not get Social Security until age 62 or gov't medical coverage until age 62. I would love to retrie at age 55, but I have spent so much of my "between jobs" that I will have to work until I am 66. Flying DA-20's

Those wanting to raise the age limit should be supporting Senate Bill 361 which was favorably reported out of committee after being ammended to raise the limit to 63 (instead of the origianally proposed 65).

Re: post age 60 employment

pilotyip said:
You are assuming that everyone retirng at age 60 is a major airlines pilot with a nice retirement. Most age 60 pilots I know do not fit in that category, and getting a job a age 60 if you have no little airplane experieince is tuff, and you can not get Social Security until age 62 or gov't medical coverage until age 62. I would love to retrie at age 55, but I have spent so much of my "between jobs" that I will have to work until I am 66. Flying DA-20's

If you fly a DA-20 then you are not flying under part 121 rules I assume. Therefore the age 60 rule should not apply to you.

First, it is unlikely that any unionized carrier will be able to change the number of years required for a full pension.

Second, most of you "young uns" will need the three to five extra years that a rule change will give you. After all of the furloughs, and the difficulty getting hired, you will still be years away from the top pay you desire.

Last, you will be old guys sooner than you realize. For me, I was 21 YESTERDAY. Or, at least it seems that way. Now is the time for you to fix a rule that could very well bite you on the butt later on.

If you are going to hang back on this out of a spirit of comeuppance, you may find that you have hurt yourselves in the end, long after those who irked you so much have died.

Time waits for no man.

Nope, not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture.

Besides, the only people I know who are in support are the guys who couldn't seem to keep their pecker in their pants and are stuck supporting numerous wives. We've worked too long to get the retirement plans we currently have to change things for the few who had no self control or planned poorly for retirement.

Agree or disagree this "rule" has been debated and challenged many many times (more than I can remember) and each and every time it has been upheld- I cannot see how this rule is going to change since I cannot see how the majority of people against it can attempt to "justify" why we need to change this- "If it ain't broke then don't attempt to fix it"....... I truly feel that once again this rule may be "challenged" but in the end the same result as the previous time (s) will prevail-

I feel that this issue has very little to do with "age" and has alot more to do with giving others the opportunity to move in and earn a job that they have been working many many years in which to obtain and I feel that when one hits the "magic 60" they should gracefully step aside with their heads up relatively high and "allow" someone else the same opportunity that they were once given many many years ago (food for thought)- why challenge this- "IF" you want to continue to fly then 135 may work out well for you or some 91 flight department will probably be honored to welcome you aboard BUT why attempt to harm many others just for your own satisfaction of "prolonging" an already long, productive, and great career--

Once again I would be very surprised if this rule is changed any time in the near future however if it is then great news for some pilots and bad news for others.

C H E E R S

3 5 0

I guess I should be surprised that a lot of younger pilots will think that this retirement age will be just fine with them when they reach 60, and that this will be based on an indictment of bad behavior.

Consider this, When the rule was written, 60 was then like 80 is now. By the time you reach 60, it will be like 40 is now.

But go ahead. I won't have to live with you decision.

You will.

At some point in life some times the "mind" wants to carry on and never wants to "quit"- One can say that someone at 80 & in perfect health who can hold a medical should be able to "continue" as a 121 crew member-

where is the cut off point then and why??

C H E E R S

3 5 0

Time- the way you make it appear to sound is that their should be "no limit"??

Timebuilder wrote:

"Second, most of you "young uns" will need the three to five extra years that a rule change will give you. After all of the furloughs, and the difficulty getting hired, you will still be years away from the top pay you desire."

As far as "all the furloughs, and the difficulty getting hired,".......You think its hard now to get hired by a major......just wait and see what happens if this rule change passes.

I think most people can agree that no major airline (except SW, and I expect even their hiring would change if this rule passes) in this country is going to hire any new pilot for probably the next 3-5 years (or more) with the current furlough situation. Airways, forget about it; Delta, still furloughing; NWA still furloughing; AA just announced they expect more staffing cuts; etc. etc. etc..

Most of these airlines are retiring 200-300 pilots a year for the foreseeable future. So that was a small glimmer of hope. Now you extend the retirement age by another three years!!! We're now looking at the possibility of no new-hires for another 6 or 7 years........just food for thought for those trying to make it to a major......

For me personally, no way in heck I want to work past 60......full retirement or not. Besides, if these "old folk" at the majors can't make ends meet on an 80k a year pension versus a 90k per year....something is very wrong. (those financial figures were only used for illustration, your actual retirement figures may vary)

Good luck to all

P.S. Timbuilder, please don't take this as a personal attack against you, it was a "soundbite" that had an issue I wanted to address as far as hiring went.

I tend to agree with JD- With the way the industry is today as well as what it is expected to be in the near future I cannot see how a rule change will positively have a good outcome that is in the best interest of anyone other than the pilots nearing the "magic 60"- "money" is not happiness and will not make you a "better" person so money aside lets look at the big picture and realize that "IF" this rule does change it will cause far more damage than what it will do "good" for the industry as a whole-

C H E E R S

3 5 0

(leave the champagne on ice I guess)

Latest resources

Back