• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eliminate age 60 rule petition

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There have been many "old timers" on this board blasting the younger pilots over the past few months for many different reasons. Why should any of the "youngins" help you fly longer?

Chperplt,

I myself have got 21 years left under the present rule and hope that I won't have to fly for a wage after 60. If at that time I want to continue in the profession or am forced to due so because of this ever changing industry, I don't want the government forcing my retirement if I can still pass a class I and a checkride.
Us "old timers" will be able to continue sharing our experience with you "youngins" that care to learn.....

Us "old timers" will be able to continue sharing our experience with you "youngins" that care to learn.....

I have 30 years to go. That wasn't the point of my question though.

Many topics on this board in the past have been about the young guy screwing the old guy. Albeit the RJ issue or young guys working for peanuts at the regional level.. My question was after all that, why should the young guy help to change this now??

I guess in a very poor way I'm trying to say that we can all help each other and should do so rather than pointing fingers all the time.

Brownshoe said:
Chperplt,

I myself have got 21 years left under the present rule and hope that I won't have to fly for a wage after 60. If at that time I want to continue in the profession or am forced to due so because of this ever changing industry, I don't want the government forcing my retirement if I can still pass a class I and a checkride.

Is there a possibliity that if the age is extened upward, you would now have to work for 30 years to get a full retirement? There are a lot of pilots who go out on medical well before their 60th birthday. I can olny hope they qualified for a full retirement.

The airline I am furloughed from requires 25 years for a full retirement. I am sure they would love to extend it out a few years. Thus disqualifying many pilots.

And before you start attacking me............I will have 33 years with my company before I retire> ()

Just some thoughts, nothing more.

Last edited:
Is there a petition to keep the 60 rule? If so I'll sign that one. I'll be more than happy to take adivse from all of the oldtimers sitting in a rockingchair sucking down a cold one.:D

I don't think there's going to be a lot of sympethy for the old coggers out there that had the rule work for them and know they want to do away with it. No sorry, no support from me. There's going to be a lot of retirements coming up, and I, and a lot of young guys are looking forword to them. I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot!

Last edited:
Why the HE!! would anyone want to work after they are 60 anyway? You hear of so many stories about how the guy retires today at 65 and then is dead tomorrow. He enjoyed his retirement, NOT! Life is to short to be working after that anyway. I don't feel a bit sorry for anyone getting the boot at 60. For one it makes room for the younger guys and there are jobs out there that can keep the old guys flying like contract stuff. Get out at 60 and enjoy what time you have left in life. Plus counting the money you made while working all those years at the airlines. I know you surely wouldn't need the pay check anymore. If you made some smart choices along the way.

chperplt- I agree completely ! !- ( don't forget we are the ones that "lack" knowledge due to our age-l o l )-

It is sad because the "finger pointing", opinions, and politics seem to outweigh the positive's in many cases in this industry-

C H E E R S

3 5 0

(only 37 more to go )

dang...

...there was no nerve hit here, was there ;)

Latest resources

Back