Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Electronic Logbooks: How do you bind them?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DrewBlows

Go Tigers!
I've filled up my original "big boy" logbook and have decided that it's time to go all electronic. I have been backing up my logbook electronically for a long time, so the only issue is how to print and bind it. My electronic logbook is an Excel spreadsheet that is easy to format. I have been considering binding a legal size printout, but have discovered that there are few options (that I'm aware of).

So, my question is how are others binding their electronic logbooks? What size paper do you use? Normal, legal, other? What kind of binding do you use? Coil, comb, other? Do you bind it at the top or side? Is the binding in the middle of the page (like a book)? What kind of cover do you use? Any links or leads would be appreciated.

Also, for those of you that have taken your printed out logbook to an interview, how was the reception?

I didn't realize that it was going to be such a pain in the butt, but I think it's worth it because it looks nicer, is more precise, is easier to correct, and over the long run will be much easier.

I say just don't do it. Sounds to dang complicated, kinda like Rays life.

Look at Staples.com

I bought this one. Only 8 bucks.

GBC ProClick Do-It-Yourself Kit

Create professional looking reports without the expense of a binding machine
  • Includes two sets of pre-punched covers and spines
  • 50 sheets of pre-punched paper
  • 1 5/16" spine diameter
  • Comes with editing tool to assemble and dis-assemble reports

What format did you use? Did you use "landscape" with the binding at the top or did you put the binding in the middle and print on both sides of the page? Or something else?

I used a very nice leather brown comercial checkbook with gold rings. Many available online. Bought a ream of 8.5x11 60# green paper and took it to a kinko's. Asked them to drill holes to make it fit into the binder. I believe it is 7 rings. Used a laser printer and printed on both sides. I have about 300 sheets left.

I have only taken it to 2 interviews, but have only had positive comments. PM if you need more details

COOPERVANE,

I PMed you, but I think I see what you are talking about now. That Commercial Checkbook looks like its about the same size as a normal logbook, so I'm guessing that you printed your logbook like a book. That's what I have been looking for. Thanks.

Cheers,
DrewBlows

Last edited:
Okay, I've figured out that I need a 7-ring binder that will hold 8.5" x 11" paper in landscape format, but I can't find it on the internet. What are you guys using, and where can I find it. The "Logbook Pro" binders look cool, but holy cow are they expensive.

Print out the pages and take it to the nearest Kinko's and have it spirial bound. I have them put a heavy black page on the back and a clear page on the front. Total cost $5. I got compliments at every interview I attended.

Latest resources

Back