EK housing question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

linecheck

Gotta couple of questions for the EK guy's if you don't mind. I just submitted my app, so we'll see if I get called. I hope so, as EK and Dubai seem like exciting places.

1) From what I've read EK puts you in temporary housing for 6 months or more while you wait for a permanent house. How are the living conditions? I've got a wife and a newborn coming in a few months and was wondering how the conditions are to raising a family. Is this common, or is it more of a "singles" atmosphere at EK?

2) I own a house here in the states. Do most guys keep owning their home, or do they sell and pick up completely? I'd like to keep the house (not that it would sell anytime soon anyway) if I could, and use the extra income at EK to pay things off early, if possible.

3) Speaking of budgets, is the cost of living in Dubai(considering a new family) such that you can live on FO pay and still pay a mortgage back home?

4) When I'm away on a trip, how do spouses acclimate to the new environment in Dubai. I know its fairly westernized over there, but is it such that a mother with a new child will feel (more less) comfortable in the new surroundings?

I know these are long questions, but I want to make sure I don't get "airplane itis." I want take in all the facts before making this big of a committment.

Many thanks-

LC

Paying your mortgage back home depends on how much your payments are and how much you're making now. I can tell you as a new F/O you'll make about $6000-6500 per month once online.!! Out goings in Dubai are Cell phone, internet, food, drinks,car payments and gasoline etc. Accomodation including cooking gas and electric taken care of by the company.

Last edited:
Gotta couple of questions for the EK guy's if you don't mind. I just submitted my app, so we'll see if I get called. I hope so, as EK and Dubai seem like exciting places.

1) From what I've read EK puts you in temporary housing for 6 months or more while you wait for a permanent house. How are the living conditions? I've got a wife and a newborn coming in a few months and was wondering how the conditions are to raising a family. Is this common, or is it more of a "singles" atmosphere at EK?

I've got two young kids and they are doing well. School here however is getting more and more expensive each year. Our bus fees alone this year went up 85% for next year. Still haven't heard how EK's new benefit package will be for allowances this year. My oldest son has a better social life than my wife and I (meaning, there all always birthday parties and get togethers going on for the kids). For us, the conditions are fine for raising the kids and with what our U.S. carrier's health insurance did, the insurance here is MUCH better than our last. I can't speak to the temporary accomodation. I've spoken to a few guys that are in tempo apartments and are getting by. Our villa is in a great community location and we like it.

2) I own a house here in the states. Do most guys keep owning their home, or do they sell and pick up completely? I'd like to keep the house (not that it would sell anytime soon anyway) if I could, and use the extra income at EK to pay things off early, if possible.

I kept mine and am renting out. It's about 50/50 from the Americans that I speak with. With housing market the way it is, you could probably rent quicker than selling. We use a property manager and takes all the headaches out.

3) Speaking of budgets, is the cost of living in Dubai(considering a new family) such that you can live on FO pay and still pay a mortgage back home?
They just up'd the starting pay to around 22,400 dhms/month. That's roughly 6070 U.S. a month take home. Once you start flying, it can go up from there depending on how much you are flying. Depends on how many bills you have back in the states. I've budgeted everything for us on base salary, anything above that is gravy for us.

4) When I'm away on a trip, how do spouses acclimate to the new environment in Dubai. I know its fairly westernized over there, but is it such that a mother with a new child will feel (more less) comfortable in the new surroundings?
Depends on your wife and how quickly she can make friends and if she is outgoing. There is definitely a good support group here as everyone is in the same boat. Once my wife started making friends, she adjusted just fine. Plus, if you have skype, she can call you wherever you are on a trip. There's so many expats, that alot of the cultural "taboos" that you hear about simply aren't true. For example, neither my wife nor I dress any different than we did in the states. I really can't remember the last time I wore a pair of jeans here, always in shorts. Same for my wife, shorts and tank top.

I know these are long questions, but I want to make sure I don't get "airplane itis." I want take in all the facts before making this big of a committment.

Make sure that you take all the advice that comes your way. There's definitely a lot of positives here (more so than I've listed), especially if you are coming from a US based carrier. You can't believe how much less stress there is if you aren't worrying about your next paycheck. However, there are negatives here too and you need to way those into your decision (that decision VERY MUCH needs to include your wife, if she's not happy, you won't be happy, as, in my opinion, it's very much a joint decision to make). You are a long ways from home, and that makes it tough, especially if you are family oriented. All in all, my wife and I are happy here and have adjusted pretty well.

Hope that helps.

Many thanks-

LC

Good luck!

I've got a wife and a newborn coming in a few months

This may be a non-issue, but if I understood correctly at the roadshow and my interview, pregnancy is considered a pre-existing condition and WILL NOT be covered by Emirates insurance. If you aren't planning on going over until after the blessed date, then it should be ok. I just don't want to see you get blindsided by what would seem to be something which would be included.

Good luck!

This may be a non-issue, but if I understood correctly at the roadshow and my interview, pregnancy is considered a pre-existing condition and WILL NOT be covered by Emirates insurance. If you aren't planning on going over until after the blessed date, then it should be ok. I just don't want to see you get blindsided by what would seem to be something which would be included.

Good luck!

This is true...if your wife goes to Dubai pregnant, you will NOT be covered. Also, don't get pregnant in the first 6 months that you are there as that won't be covered either.

Thank you everyone for the great replies!

I especially appreciate the intel on the pre existing condition. That will have a big impact on the timing of things.

Again, thanks.

Before you lose your flight benefits, take a week and come out to Dubai on your own. Get a hotel, rent a car, check it all out. Visit the schools, the villas, go grocery shopping, do the kind of lifestyle stuff your wife will do everyday. Let her drive even. I'm serious. We even stopped by the American Hospital, just to check out the what if's.

This will put both her and your mind at ease. I've met too many people who have mentioned "I wish she knew about this..."

TP said it before in another post I read somewhere...we get to leave half the month. They stay there! Happy wife, happy life.

Before you lose your flight benefits, take a week and come out to Dubai on your own. Get a hotel, rent a car, check it all out. Visit the schools, the villas, go grocery shopping, do the kind of lifestyle stuff your wife will do everyday. Let her drive even. I'm serious. We even stopped by the American Hospital, just to check out the what if's.

This will put both her and your mind at ease. I've met too many people who have mentioned "I wish she knew about this..."

TP said it before in another post I read somewhere...we get to leave half the month. They stay there! Happy wife, happy life.

That's a really good idea that I'm thinking about. Just found out today that I will be furloughed from LCC (AWA), so there's a new sense of urgency to pursue EK before the clock runs out.

Thankfully just yesterday, EK emailed me to say that my app has been put on the 'short list.'

Any idea how long it will take to get called for an interview now that I'm on the short list?

Thanks.

it was about 2 or 3 weeks for me once i was on the short list...i have gouge if you need it

I talked to recruitment yesterday and because of the high number of applications, actually they said they had record number of apps, it would take a bit longer (4-6 months, depending on your experience). Hopefully it won't be that long. Classes are filled through the end of Sept. They said very high percentage is going to the Airbus.

Latest resources

Back