Ejm To Be A Union

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A plant by the IBT? Funny.

Now, the original poster is looking out for his family, and his fellow pilots at EJM. What's wrong with that? He just wants union protection that is afforded by practically ALL organized, higher paid large pilot forces. He's got alot of work ahead, and maybe he's just getting started, but he's taking the initiative. He has my respect and my support.

I must assume that GVFlyer, while I enjoy reading your fantastic posts, you are coming from a perspective of a smaller outfit in a managerial role, and looking to discount the effectiveness of or need for an organized pilot force.

TAG, your name says it all, I must assume you are working for TAG, a company that is in direct competition with EJA/M/I and non union to boot. Not much I can say about that.

Without a union at EJA this job would be far less secure than it is now. The flying is fantastic, and decisions on the road are left to those in the cockpit, not behind a desk. With union protection, we are secure in that ideal. Sure our pay is laughable. We are working on that. BUT, we ALWAYS know that for the most part, WE are in charge, and it would take a pretty good screw up to get canned. We know what is expected of us, and what is expected of managment.

Our futures are secure at EJA. I am going to let my wife quit working, because after this next contract we'll be better paid than ever, and it's only going up from there.

THANKS, TEAMSTERS LOCAL 284!

Toploader

EJM

TAG2

If you do work for TAG, good for you, I think it's a fine organization. I know Jim Christiansen, who unfortunately, is no longer with you. I was a guest at the TAG Standards meeting last month in Dallas. The program is impressive. There is no little airplane complex, the small airplane pilots are given as much presidence as the 757 drivers. Safety is the first consideration. Larry Edeal is as good a standards guy as you'll find anywhere...

I have a friend in TAG at Seattle who's flying both the GX and the GV who is always good for an update on the Bombardier program and is a terrific source of "A-B" comparisons between the two jets. I know Mansour and Aziz Ojjeh peripherally. I have flown with Aziz whose first interest is being a pilot. It can't hurt when the guy at the top loves flying.

Everything about your company seems to be very professional. I recently had to find a charter for a GV. TAG was able to respond within an hour, it took Gulfstream Charter Services 3 days to get back to me.

Back when Rick Schwartz was at Columbus, before he blessed Ford with his leadership, he took me on a tour of EJA. They also are very impressive in every aspect of their operation. I think that there is probably room for two good organizations to prosper in the industry and it benefits pilots by allowing them options in the workplace when they select the company for which they will work.

gunfyter said:
TEAMSTER MAGAZINE December 2000
Message from the general president
re: organizing drives.

"...There are many people who balk at the fight. They hide and place their confidence in the hands of employers. Management preys on this weakness by distributing promises like candy during organizing drives and quickly reneging if the workers lose the election. But management must be held accountable."

"As TEAMSTERS we stand up and tackle the challenges that imperil working families."

--James P Hoffa--

"Workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains."

Karl Marx
"The Manefesto of the Communist Party"

By the way, have they found James P's dad yet?

Last edited:
By the way, have they found James P's dad jet?

Would've been a great post, except for the typo in the last sentence. What are you getting at, anyway?

Do you know what happened to Hoffa, Sr.? Speculation is that the Mob didn't want him around any longer.

Do you support Mob activities? Is it funny that a man who, while not perfect, gave so many the will to fight for themselves and for a greater cause?

The Marx quote was germane, but as for the Hoffa comment, stay on the sidelines with your unfounded remarks.

Toploader

Don't know about the latest effort, but every year we get at least 2 or 3 calls from EJM, and YES, EJI pilots wanting info on how to get unionized. They call our local, they call our MEC. Maybe this time they plan to do it. Maybe the guy is a management type, wanting prople who are pro union to expose themself! Just as plausible as a Union guy. Also, when "talking" to people "on the road" about Union forming, don't believe every answer you get, they may be telling you what you want to hear, with either answer.

It is kind of like the other fractional pilots who sometimes come up to us on the road and explain why they don't want a Union and how bad they are. Then, inevitably, the question: "When are you guys gonna get your new contract, my pay raise depends on it" OK, I get it now.

Would've been a great post, except for the typo in the last sentence.

Toploader-

Thanks for the secretarial support - if I could type, I'd make a 100 grand a year less.

Hoffa disappeared on his way to meet with mafioso Anthony Giacalone and New Jersey Teamster boss and underworld associate Anthony Provenzano. You're right, maybe the mob was tired of their boy. All this is in the news again, the feds are trying to bail out and give the case to Michigan.

You remember that Hoffa was sentenced to 13 years for jury tampering and screwing with the pension fund, right? He stayed in the slam 5 years until Nixon pardoned him.

Last edited:
Ref to BBJPILOT: No... we are not from management trying to expose Union supporters. It is much simpler than that. We are a small group of pilots that are very dissatisfied about the procedures for promoting, hiring and firing pilots within EJM.

Great point about being on the road and what is being said and heard. We have absolutely no protection at EJM. Would you expect anything less than answers to questions based on what we think is the motive for the question being asked. Thanks for the support.

Ref to Tag 2: From IBT....definitely No

Ref to TOPLOADER: Thank You..We are underpaid, we do have families, we are team players, and we are just getting started. Have we had formal meetings?...of course not. Do we talk amongst ourselves? Yes we do! Thanks for the Support.

Ref to GVFLYER: Do you really think we would call anyone in EJM management and inform them. The word "Union" in a non union company is suicide. Do you really believe any crew or pilot would even say the word "Union" in a non-union environment other than in the vicinity of people he or she knew and trusted...let alone protest support in public....while on tour...in uniform!

Great Quotes to all of you Historians

gunfyter said:
Marx is irrelevant. Workers can unite but that does not mean they accept a bankrupt philosophy.

Let's see, you can walk the walk and talk the talk, but it don't mean nothin'... I get it, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it ain't necessarily a duck. It could be a team player.

I see you have flown tactical aircraft. Which usually go out in section, division or larger flights. Every individual the member of a TEAM (Together Everyone Achieves More). Providing MUTUAL SUPPORT to each other.

Yeah, we went out in sections, but we still reported to the Commander, and we didn't collectively bargain to figure out which orders we were going to follow. When I played ball in college we still listened to the coach and where I work now the management is part of the team and I figure I owe them something for giving me a job. I thought you Marines knew about loyalty.

in other words:

" We must all hang together, or we most assuredly will all HANG separately!"

-- Benjamin Franklin--

Franklin and his band of colonials were at war - are you at war with the guy who signs your paycheck?

With Teamwork and mutual support we will all achieve more....

A team includes all the players to include the guy calling the plays. I have not seen good things from unions. For example, ALPA wanted to get rid of Lorenzo, so they let Charlie Bryant and the IAM run Eastern out of business. There's a few less pilot jobs for you. The Teamsters, when they had a flight department, wouldn't let their own pilots even join the union. What was that about?

Usually what I see is from unions is a bunch of guys squalling to get paid more for doing less and to hell with the company.

Last edited:
EJMPILOT

If you don't like where you work, why don't you vote with you're feet? You knew EJM wasn't union when you signed up, but back then you were just mighty greatful they gave you a job.

Last edited:
Powerful stuff

I think that I understand EJMPILOTS desire to have his and his peers voices heard. The need to have some check and balances installed in the system.

You can take all the labor/management classes you want...it still is a dangerous decision. Let me explain my view...

I work for the 2nd largest regional carrier in the country. We within the last year voted in ALPA to represent us (formerly in-house union). We of course had our concerns about many issues ranging from proper representation as a pilot group to individual benefits. In this last year I have lost much faith in the ability of ALPA to represent myself and my peers. Why? Well I don't believe there is some conspiracy. I don't believe there is any ill-will. I simply believe that just like any other BUSINESS they want to make money. Many of our voices go unheard. Why? Well imho I believe it is because we are considered small in the grand scheme of things. And when your "small" your concerns with the industry and your concerns about how the company is treating you are of little consequence to ALPA when Delta or United have some major crisis going on. Yet they are still quite happy to collect that 1.95% of my gross wages every paycheck. If I sound rather bitter that is not my intention. I'm trying to share my reality with you. ALPA is not a 'bad" union. They are big business. They "sold" us their product. Now that I have it I'm not so sure I like it.

Unions are a necessary evil. They can be a great protection and a great burden. I suppose you'll ultimately decide which will serve you best. Remember though just because you have a union on property does not mean that YOUR voice will be heard or that YOUR job will be saved. And that my friend is the reality of it...

Latest resources

Back