Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FSI = Berkshire Hathaway
EJA = Berkshire Hathaway

Odds of Berkshire Hathaway starting an indoc program at FSI Academy to create profits with the promise of moving low time pilots to EJA where they can do type ratings at FSI training centers all over the country owned by Berkshire Hathaway?

You do the math. (Hint: Identity property.)

I love...

Warren Buffet has been a hero of mine for a long time...the fact that he owns the finest flight training organization AND the finest fractional corporation is by no means an accident!

Any guy that names his Gulfstream, "The Indefensible".....

Cheers,

Chunk

Dude, Berkshire also owns Dairy Queen, but we don't serve it on the airplane. We also are not issued footwear from Berkshire owned Dexter or HH Brown.

As far as making money for a sister company...That's like stealing money from yourself. The idea is to make money from OUTSIDE the company, not swap money from one branch to the other. EJA is going to use the same number of sim slots around the country, regardless of where the pilots come from. As far as "doing the math," which do you think is more profitable to type, a low time person that they will spend more time (spelled m-o-n-e-y) with in training or a high time person that will require less (pardon the term) hand holding, which they can type quicker and ship out the door?

PS...

COLUMBUS, OH March 15, 2001 -- Executive Jet, Inc., the world leader in private and business jet aviation, today announced that it has entered into a significant educational partnership with The Ohio State University in several areas of mutual interest, including increasing the number of aeronautics graduates, research and product development.
Under terms of the broad partnership, Executive Jet and Ohio State‚s College of Engineering will explore creating an accelerated fight training program to serve Ohio State aviation students, Executive Jet scholarship recipients, and experienced industry pilots seeking advanced pilot training.

Thank you all very much for your information. It is very appreciated and hopefully one day I can join the crew at EJA, but for now I'll post if anything with the program changes here at FSI. Thanks again. Take Care

agree with EJAcapt and Diesel, you need to get real time outside of the controlled & sheltered world of a flight school then start to think about it.
FRUIT OF THE LOOM another new member of the Berkshire famliy I think i have a pair or two!

All,

In an attempt to make this thread three pages long, I have another question about lifestyle at EJA.

As far as the schedules go, it looks like basically, you are on 7/7 or a more typical 3, 4, 5 or 6 on, then any number of days off, for a total of 17 days of duty. So, is there any way, without vacation, to every get more than 13 or 14 days off a month?

Second, do you get per diem once on the line, or is it all considered "company paid" via reimbursement of your credit card. If it is the latter, does this work out like clockwork or is there tedium involved?

Lastly, when you start a run of duty days, do you always get assigned on day one? I imagine not, but have there ever, historically, been lulls in the middle of a trip?

Thanks so much for your replies in advance. I really am starting to salivate over this company.

As for the hiring of low-time pilots scenario: that, if I were at a company where upgrades were happening at such a rapid pace, would greatly concern me. It is one thing if you know a pilot was going to sit in the right seat for at least two years, but another to think they might be forced in to situations for which they really don't have the flight experience to make judiciuos decisions. Perhaps there would be a built-in "no upgrade until . . ." clause built in, but, then I don't see how that would benefit a company with such explosive growth in its future. But, logic usually never prevails.

charley varrick

Last edited:
O.K., I'll give it a try....

charley varrick said:
All,

In an attempt to make this thread three pages long, I have another question about lifestyle at EJA.

As far as the schedules go, it looks like basically, you are on 7/7 or a more typical 3, 4, 5 or 6 on, then any number of days off, for a total of 17 days of duty. So, is there any way, without vacation, to every get more than 13 or 14 days off a month?

<Bid a "low work load aircraft" like the VII, Falcon, or BBJ.
You will spend some tours at home in the bullpen.
Also, stay away from CMH or major eastern city gateway bases.
West Coasties work much less. The X and the Ultra are
the hardest workers here. The Excel is picking up, too.>

Second, do you get per diem once on the line, or is it all considered "company paid" via reimbursement of your credit card. If it is the latter, does this work out like clockwork or is there tedium involved?

< You make 38.40 per day while on the road. While flying the
company buys your food (usually) so it's yours to keep.
You are reimbursed each pay day. Expense reports take about
2 weeks to clear. Some people have had problems, but in
four years I never had. Just be logical and clear on your
expense report and mail it in the day your tour ends.>

Lastly, when you start a run of duty days, do you always get assigned on day one? I imagine not, but have there ever, historically, been lulls in the middle of a trip?

< Usually, once out, you stay out. If you have a lull, you're waiting
in a hotel on per diem, or at the FBO. CMH crews sometimes
return mid-tour to swap a/c, but it's rare.>

Thanks so much for your replies in advance. I really am starting to salivate over this company.

As for the hiring of low-time pilots scenario: that, if I were at a company where upgrades were happening at such a rapid pace, would greatly concern me. It is one thing if you know a pilot was going to sit in the right seat for at least two years, but another to think they might be forced in to situations for which they really don't have the flight experience to make judiciuos decisions. Perhaps there would be a built-in "no upgrade until . . ." clause built in, but, then I don't see how that would benefit a company with such explosive growth in its future. But, logic usually never prevails.

charley varrick

Just heard down the pipeline.

EJA has so many pilots in the pool for new hires that the EJA/FSI deal is put so far on the back burner it's cold.

oh well

I've been at EJA for about 2 years now and have heard rumors of this. However, the pilot group is not to thrilled about it. One of the biggest selling points to clients is the 2500 hour requirement and ATP rated plus type rating in aircraft for both crewmembers. Course the temporary influx of pilots in the pool is only temporary till the airlines start recalling so perhaps in a couple of years down the road a ab intio program might happen. Right now there are so many resumes at EJA that there isn't a real need

Ok before you guys jump on my coolaid read before you react. I have nothing against low time pilots, like every pilot out there I was one of them. As a captain I don't particularly like the idea of having a 500 hour pilot riding in the right seat. I think the commuters are better outfitted for this sort of program then EJA. Plus how many low time pilots want to wait 3 to 4 years to upgrade? Good luck

Latest resources

Back