• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eclipse 500

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I personally have little faith in the Eclipse...I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of owner operator accidents and these cahrter companies (the one in Boston and Day Jet) are going to have problems with the areas they operate out of. Boston area- NYC Or washington will be tough since the controllers aren't going to allow high altitudes to be achieved. I also think customers will be dissapointed when their golf clubs can't fit in the jet. I suppose the average business folk going to NYC or DC wont have much of a problem but the speed isnt that impressive for the costs of operating and what not...I do however totally oppose that new Jet Eclipse came out with, with the V-tail...Didn't beechcraft prove that the V-Tail wasn't safe in cross winds...why did they come up with a concept for a jet powered v-tail? Its gotta be bad in crosswinds...I expect to see a lot of problems with that...and doctors are gonna love them! bad mix!!! uggg....oh well.

I've thought all along that this will end up being the NetJets regional jet. DayJet shoulders the expense and risk of getting the thing into the air in a large quantity. It will take time for maintenance and parts networks to get up an humming. Then, I think we all know DayJet will be a failure. Once the network and all other things are in place AND it's losing lots of money (hey it's aviation, and no weekend or night flying?, it'll never work), Uncle Warren sees an undervalued asset and buys the whole thing for 25 cents on the dollar. He makes it an entirely separate company to avoid union scope issues. I know that is another ball of wax completely and can be argued forever.

Condensed version

1. It's gonna fail
2. Someones going to buy it.
3. NetJets lite the fractional for wannabes

4. B scale wages.
5. A new flight school "direct hire to jet" if you just take the eclipse course for 50K.
6. Starting pay 18k
7. The dreaded flow through carrot.
8. A stack of SJS resumes a mile deep.

I'm reminded of a similar thing with cars - years ago in NY a taxi cab company converted all their cabs over to the new (at the time) diesel VW Rabbits which got around 50mpg. The company launched a marketing blitz about how they "hopped to it" for customer service. When they actually went into service they discovered there was no place for luggage except on the roof - in less than a year they were back to full size sedans.

I think the Eclipse will be not only too small but too many pax will show up with too many and too heavy suit cases - I just don't see it working.

A couple of other odd things have happen with Eclipse:

1. Just prior to FAA certification they suddenly dropped United Airlines as their offical training school and went with another company. Has anyone heard why? I can't help but wonder if they signed up early to go with UAL to help make sales with customers knowing they were going to get "airline" level training and then pull the plug late in the game and go with a cheaper school.

2. Again, just prior to certification they suddenly decided to change EFIS manufacturers - has anyone heard why they did this?

Latest resources

Back