• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

East/West split up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Umm...you might want read a little history of Warren Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway....Buffet has said his two biggest mistakes he has ever made were taking an active management position in a company he invested in and the second was investing in an airline.

I don't believe this rumor for a second, but I would donate half my yearly wages to the reelection campaign of Nancy Pelosi if it were true, just to see the look on Fudgepackers face when it was announced.....

DOH!!! DOH!!! It's the only fair way!! Bwhahahhahahahah (gulping for air) Bwahhahahhahhhh!!!!

I thought that's what I said. He wont (in the future since you can't change the past) touch legacy airlines.

The Airline/worst mistake Buffet ever made investing was in fact Us Airways.

I attended one of BRK's annual shareholder meetings in the late 90s. While Buffett spun the 'woe is me' story about his US Air investment, Charlie Munger pointed out that the investment turned out to be profitable for Berkshire. A couple of articles affirming that it was profitable:
http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/news/feb03982.html
http://financialedge.investopedia.c.../Buffetts-Biggest-Missteps.aspx#axzz1bdtXitp4

Makes for a 'nice' story but doesn't pass the truth test. And at this point in time, I'd venture to guess that BRK's investment in the Vampire Squid (Goldman Sachs) is further underwater than his US Air investment.

Youall is danged crazy as my uncle fesuts an cuzin Carl Childers...

Da East n West aint a gonna split up it's the North and South a gonna call it a split. Charlotte has about had it with them Yankees. Ever since they done closed LGA and BOS an PIT they all done come down here.

What da hell I am a gonna do on my airplane with some guy who "parks his car in the yaad" and sez "there isn't any good chowder dawn hehr". What da hell is that kinda talk?

When you tries to talk NASCAR wit em there eyze done glaze over. They thinks they knows about football but they don't, the NewYorkers talk bout "Shelppen" their luggage and how you can't get good Chinese or I-talian.

This here is the south boys an we eats Grits, fired anything, collard greens ocra, an barbecue whatever.

We are gonna letl dem Westies in ifin they takes an oath to act Southern like. They gotta have a favorite NASCAR driver, lots a guns and fishing gear, a pickup truck, a dog or two (more is better), an they gotta like rastlin, football, an the huntin an fishin channel. We gives extra points if they gots a bass board or an RTV.

If they are cool I might even let date my sister... er cousin..er relative whatever....

I really enjoy reading your posts and I'm from Boston...wtf are collard greens? I eat a very delicious boiled dinner consisting of a cheaper chunk of meat boiled with a potato and maybe a carrot...and the spice is a quick shake of a salt shaker. I forgot to add I drink a can of light beer with it if the wife lets me.

Keep drinking the USAPA kool aid! I love these stories of split ups all the time. The only bigger joke is what USAPA has delivered in 3 and a half years.... ZERO!!!!!

Whtach yer mean you don't know what collard greens is..They is, er...Um..

We I done looked it up and it sez:

Collard greens are various loose-leafed cultivars of Brassica oleracea (Acephala Group), the same species as cabbage and broccoli.

So it's a vegi-table like cabbage er broccoli. If'n yer from Boston don't they sumtimez eat Corned beef an cabbage? Well yall come on down an you can have Collard greens an grits, er barbeque meat. We don't much call fer corned beef at the Piggly Wiggly.

Last month we don loaded up the truck an went up to West Virginia fer the annual Road Kill Cook-off. It's great.

I am particularly fond of Possum ala "Michelian" with gravy n grits.....Yum Yum.

http://www.pccocwv.com/~pccocwv/roadkillschedule.html

Ridiculous...Ain't gonna happen. It's one operating certificate with everybody as one company (dispatchers, gate agents, etc)-- except the pilots and flight attendants.

Ridiculous...Ain't gonna happen. It's one operating certificate with everybody as one company (dispatchers, gate agents, etc)-- except the pilots and flight attendants.

Keep telling your selves this. Fragmentation is possible and irrelevant to certificate status. Remember certain portions of PanAm that were sold off to Delta? If a spinoff of the west will make the deal fit, then it shall be done..

I heard an interesting rumor from an Easty in my JS a couple of days ago. Apparently a group of investor types includeing Waren Buffet are working on trying to figure out how to split Airways back into East and West. This is being done to for two reasons. One is to make the companies profitable and viable again. The other is the East would then be merged with Alaska. The West would then be merged with JB. This was just a rumor of course and we all know how rediculous this process would be. However a JB and West merger would actually make a little sense regarding route structure, fleet type, orders, etc.

This rumor was alive and well 6-8 months ago.

Actually it was more detailed with the exact date it would be announced, but as usual the date came and went with nothing announced.

I doubt Warren Buffett will ever touch US Airways again.

Probably eventually merge with a third party such as AA, and find a loophole that would negate the Nic award.

Doubt that JB would be a part of it.

Latest resources

Back