• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Easiest 737 rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why can't you just write a check to SWA for $6500?

What's the difference?
Because that would be pay for training :laugh: :laugh:

And besides that I think its against the law to say anything about SW or JB on these boards, just watch the reation that will most likely follow this.

Compare first year FO pay and bennies at SWA to that of most "non PFT" carriers (ie LEGACY).
It's kind of like giving SWA a $7000 check to hold on to at the beginning of your first year. Then finding out a year later they tore up that check, and instead, put an extra few thousand more bucks in your pocket just for letting them hold on to it.
I recently sat in the jumpseat of a NWA 757 where the FO told me that after being with NWA for 11 years, he made only $92,000 last year.
I've heard of SWA FOs breaking six figures in their 2nd year!
And was told by a SWA pilot rep, that you'ld have to try hard not to break 100k in your 3rd year.
You can call it PFT, I call it one he!! of a return on your investment.

How much you make after you get there has absolutely no bearing on whether or not it is pay for training.

That being said, it is NOT pay for training.

The type is simply a requirement for employment, just like the ATP and PIC requirements. Did you pay for those or did you get them along the way? Lots of guys pay for the type, I'm sure others get it elsewhere. Either way, the type requirement is not pay for training.

Paul: No offense meant, I'm sure the question was well intentioned. You just don't know who might be reading these boards and I doubt you want to be identified as somebody looking for a shortcut or rubber stamp to get hired at SW.

I also don't think too many type operators would want to be identified on a public forum as a place where they offer a rubber stamp type rating. The feds might want to look into such claims don't you think?

FJ

Compare first year FO pay and bennies at SWA to that of most "non PFT" carriers (ie LEGACY).
It's kind of like giving SWA a $7000 check to hold on to at the beginning of your first year. Then finding out a year later they tore up that check, and instead, put an extra few thousand more bucks in your pocket just for letting them hold on to it.
I recently sat in the jumpseat of a NWA 757 where the FO told me that after being with NWA for 11 years, he made only $92,000 last year.
I've heard of SWA FOs breaking six figures in their 2nd year!
And was told by a SWA pilot rep, that you'ld have to try hard not to break 100k in your 3rd year.
You can call it PFT, I call it one he!! of a return on your investment.

To gross 100k as a 2nd year SWA FO you'd need to fly 107.5 trips for pay per month, not counting per diem.

The average line pays around 97tfp. Picking up 10tfp a month is not very tough at all.

The $ is certainly there if you want it. The majority of 2nd year FOs I know pick up 10 to 20tfp a month.

Making 100k as a 2nd year FO is the norm not the exception IMO

To gross 100k as a 2nd year SWA FO you'd need to fly 107.5 trips for pay per month, not counting per diem.

The average line pays around 97tfp. Picking up 10tfp a month is not very tough at all.

The $ is certainly there if you want it. The majority of 2nd year FOs I know pick up 10 to 20tfp a month.

Making 100k as a 2nd year FO is the norm not the exception IMO

I hate you.

Just kidding, good for you guys, at least somebody is making decent money these days.

You just don't know who might be reading these boards and I doubt you want to be identified as somebody looking for a shortcut or rubber stamp to get hired at SW.

I also don't think too many type operators would want to be identified on a public forum as a place where they offer a rubber stamp type rating. The feds might want to look into such claims don't you think?

FJ

Like HP is not pretty much a rubber stamp....yeah ok. :rolleyes: I know plenty of people that went to HP and other places. It's like the weekend ATP or FE written courses....same thing.

Anyone going to these places is looking for the quickest, easiest and cheapest way to get whatever they need....that's kind of a no brainer.

Also, the entire "you just don't know who might be reading this board" is a little conspiracy theorish don't you think?

How much you make after you get there has absolutely no bearing on whether or not it is pay for training.

That being said, it is NOT pay for training.

The type is simply a requirement for employment, just like the ATP and PIC requirements. Did you pay for those or did you get them along the way? Lots of guys pay for the type, I'm sure others get it elsewhere. Either way, the type requirement is not pay for training.

Paul: No offense meant, I'm sure the question was well intentioned. You just don't know who might be reading these boards and I doubt you want to be identified as somebody looking for a shortcut or rubber stamp to get hired at SW.

FJ

FJ:

Sorry, my purple bro, but I have to disagree with you on this one. The PIC and ATP requirements ensure that you meet certain flying experience "gates" before a company decides to interview/hire you.

Paying $7k for a useless type rating in an aircraft that most applicants have zero time in is, pure and simple, PFT.

It is the first test LUV puts you through to see what kind of loyal employee you'll be.

And no, I never applied or was turned down by SWA.

Hag

FJ:

The PIC and ATP requirements ensure that you meet certain flying experience "gates" before a company decides to interview/hire you.

Paying $7k for a useless type rating in an aircraft that most applicants have zero time in is, pure and simple, PFT.

It is the first test LUV puts you through to see what kind of loyal employee you'll be.

Hag

Hag,

Thanks for setting the record straight here, where were you BEFORE I made the mistake of applying to and getting hired by SWA?

I'm off to the FSDO to turn in my type rating and then on to Dallas to quit my job, all thanks to Hag for exposing the truth about SWA and it's hiring practices/requirements.

Dang fine reporting Hag! Ever work for the New York Times?

That boy is as sharp as a double-edged meatball I tell you.

Hag,

Thanks for setting the record straight here, where were you BEFORE I made the mistake of applying to and getting hired by SWA?

I'm off to the FSDO to turn in my type rating and then on to Dallas to quit my job, all thanks to Hag for exposing the truth about SWA and it's hiring practices/requirements.

Dang fine reporting Hag! Ever work for the New York Times?

That boy is as sharp as a double-edged meatball I tell you.

SWA GUY:

I'm not saying you made a mistake by working for SWA or that you should quit your job. SWA ia a fine, money-making company with employees that seem to get the big picture about customer service.

I'm just saying I feel the requirement for the 737 type is an outdated practice and a form of PFT.

You chose to go that direction and I'm sure you're glad you did it. I hope you have a fine career.

No, I never worked for the NY Times, but thanks for asking.

The meatball comment was hilarious. Oh, my sides.

Hag

It seems like the whole interview/newhire process at SWA is a whole lot more about personality than technical flying skill. I guess getting the type is proof for the company that you're willing to drink the Kool-Aid when the time comes (just kidding, the guys over there are great). Of course, getting on the seniority list ASAP will probably more than cover that $5000 investment in the long run. Every company has their own quirks about who they'll hire. SWA's are different in that they're clearly outlined and almost universally possible to satisfy given sufficient time and money. Ever try to get the straight dope out of UAL back when they hired?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back