• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eagle Pilot Sues Boeing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well said...and I have had the same talk with my wife.

There will be something learned from this but I think putting Boeing on the defensive is counter productive.

Metal forgives but it does not forget.

I have heard Crow is a good guy. I am shocked by this.

I had this discussion with my wife many times. We were friends with the widow of a German gal married to an American who was killed in a tragic mishap in Germany in 1995...one that later made a lot of National media. I knew the pilot...and we of course grieved for his wife's loss. She was (and as far as I know still is...) a wonderful lady. However--I asked my wife if that ever happened to me, to chunk me in the ground, throw a party, take the SGLI, and leave it at that. Our job is to prevent the NEXT mishap, not sue over the last one. These kinds of cases hurt safety and our ability to move forward with the most capable and tactical equipment.

But...its been a while since I chatted with anyone from St Louis, and maybe there is more to the story. On the surface, however, I am agahst...

it all sounds like lawyer jive to me. . probably approached and told he would make out like a bandit and there would not be reprisal. I cant imagine any red-blooded fighter pilot conjurring up something like this without serious influence. . who knows though. .

Another perspective

I think some of the opinions expressed so far were formulated with less than accurate info.

First, we're not talking about taking a SAM up the tailpipe, a GLOC or a mx error of mis-connected hydraulic lines. Apples and oranges. Crow would have no problem getting back in any Eagle that was built properly. This isn’t an “inherent” flaw in the design. That jet would have been just fine if Boeing(McDonnel Douglas, actually) had built it with the proper parts in accordance with that design.

The day that the mishap aircraft rolled off the production line in STL, it had longerons that were not built to specifications. It was a loaded gun that took about 30 years to go off. If they were the proper thickness from the start, this mishap would not have happened. It seems pretty cut and dry to me. We're talking about one of the main structural members of the F-15C. If you were going to mess up and get something wrong, THAT one ain't it. If every single aircraft had this problem, I might be less inclined to support Crow on this. However, MacAir got it right with most of the Eagles and somehow they porked it away with this one and the others that got grounded. A little better quality control isn't asking too much for $35 million, IMO.

BTW SIG, He wasn’t hurt during the actual ejection. His shoulder was already dislocated and his upper arm shattered when the aircraft broke up around him. The canopy bow/frame had already broken in 3 places with one of the pieces slamming his arm/shoulder on its way by. Witness marks in the headrest of the seat show that it’s likely that canopy piece would have decapitated him if he had been upright. Then by the grace of God, he was able to reach behind him (because he was pinned forward by the tumbling) and pull one handle with his good arm. Crow can't raise his left arm above his shoulder and is looking at a year of physical therapy to possibly achieve that goal. Daily pain limits his activity. His FAA medical is pulled and may be gone forever. Obviously he's not flying in the military with his physical condition. So, how about we leave out the “red-blooded fighter pilot” BS and cut the guy a little slack.

I respect Adler, and I feel for Crow. I don't like the precedent, however. I think helping the plantiff if this "good" case would only open Pandora's box for a host of future lawsuits that will not serve the best interests of the nation or the folks defending it.

Service members suing the goverment, or the DoD contractors that provide them equipment, is a road that has a lot of potential potholes.

All that said...the bro is in my prayers and I wish him the best in his career and his recovery.

I can't say I'm a big fan of law suits in general. I think our society overdoes it in that department. Unfortunately, sometimes the threat is the only thing that keeps corporations feet to the fire when it comes to safety improvements, proper construction techniques, etc.

......a host of future lawsuits that will not serve the best interests of the nation or the folks defending it.

Service members suing the goverment, or the DoD contractors that provide them equipment, is a road that has a lot of potential potholes.

???? So, not only do those folks get to attempt to defend said nation with equipment supplied by the lowest bidder, now they don't even have the same recourse a civilian has to pursue damages if the equipment is defective? How is that in their "best interest"? How can we ask young men and women to join the armed forces and do those jobs if they can’t even be confident that the equipment they’re provided with has at least been built properly?

Would you feel better if the USAF did the lawsuit? Why does the USAF have to accept over 150 F-15C/D aircraft that were delivered with sub-standard airframes? There’s no accountability for this? The USAF should be the one’s going after MD – then make things right with Crow.

Do we, as military members, just have to accept being supplied with a sub-standard product and deal with it? I would think the tolerance for screw-ups in DoD contractor operations would be lower BECAUSE of the nature of their business – not higher because they know they can get a way with it.

My solution would be for Congress and the AF to take up this case...not individual lawyers. A Congressional hearing (closed door) could probably get the same effect, while at the same time preventing a host of frivolous claims in the future.

I've got 2300 hours in the jet...of course I want them to do it right. I'm on your side on that one...

nor was I stating that said eagle driver wasn't a "red blooded american" my point was that he must have had reason to file suit against the manufacturer of his steed (aside from ejection being dangerous in and of itself). . .If the plane was bought off substandard than absolutely someone should be held accountable. .

Last edited:
There are a lot of guys in Viet Nam whose families should have a pretty good case against Colt (Armalite)for the poor design of the original M-16.

I too feel for the guy and pray for a full recovery. I too think this will open up a host of other potential suits.

What if this were a commercial airliner? What would the FAA do? Maybe the answer should be to park them all...indefinitely.

Latest resources

Back