• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eagle Pilot Sues Boeing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
:rolleyes: Gold wings - yah... whatever.

You're entitled to your opinion but at least form it with actual facts.

The unit converted to C-models about 3 years ago and the jet lived most of "her" life on active duty. That means it's got plenty of Saudi sand in the nooks and crannies and boocoo hours in the 1990's capathon over Iraq. So your BFM theory is out.

It wasn't simple airframe fatigue. A major structural member was improperly fabricated during the initial construction of the jet. "Routine inspection" schedules are established using the specs of the aircraft. If it ain't built to those specs, how can you be so sure it would have gone the full distance between inspection cycles and have been discovered? Not to mention, the failure point is not at the "normal" high stress areas typically scrutinized during "routine inspections".

Good point about drilling holes in the sky over Saudi. I guess the mighty Eagle wasn't built for the rigors of CAP. If this was a fault that was covered up by MD almost three decades ago, then he may have a valid case in a court of law. Ever been on an aircraft carrier? A REAL dangerous place with a lot of moving parts and people. Do we get more insurance than your typical airman? Please don't retort.

Please don't retort? Why, 'cuz you know you're spouting a fair about of BS along with some relevant points the the actual discussion?

I guess the mighty Eagle wasn't built for the rigors of CAP.

??WTF does that mean. This particular one (and close to 160 others) weren't built properly - BFM, CAP or whatever - really doesn't matter.

If this was a fault that was covered up by MD almost three decades ago, then he may have a valid case in a court of law.
I agree.

Ever been on an aircraft carrier? A REAL dangerous place with a lot of moving parts and people. Do we get more insurance than your typical airman? Please don't retort.

As a matter of fact, I have. I stood under the wing of a hornet between the bow cats of the TR while it launched and practically got knocked on my a$$. I got the full nickel tour and it cemented everything I already knew about my Navy brothers. Very impressive, professional, dangerous, and the list goes on.

Your point on this matter is irrelevant, however. The military has plenty of dangerous jobs and the DOD has decided not to "pro-rate" insurance amounts based on the level of danger.

When you joined the Navy, you knew how they launched their aircraft off carriers. You chose to go that route in spite of that extra danger. An improperly constructed fighter and carrier ops are apples and oranges.

How would you feel if 40% of the breakaway links delivered to the Navy were substandard and it was just a matter of time until you had a cold cat shot? What if the manufacturer knew it and didn’t bother to inform the Navy? The inherent danger of carrier ops certainly doesn’t need to be enhanced with extra problems created by poorly constructed fighters, cables, breakaway links or whatever. The same holds true for an AF fighter flying BFM even if it is supposed to land on a normal runway when the mission’s over.

An Appeal will bury any outcome

It was awhile back..I believe in the 80's when I was on a UDP to iwakuni. But, didn't a AF F16 Wife sue the govt or Lockheed Martin when it was discovered that there was a wiring issue that may have caused the crash and death of her husband. I believe LM appealed the verdict and never paid a cent. Please forgive my lack of intel on the situation. Could someone bring me up to speed on the outcome of that situation.

It was awhile back..I believe in the 80's when I was on a UDP to iwakuni. But, didn't a AF F16 Wife sue the govt or Lockheed Martin when it was discovered that there was a wiring issue that may have caused the crash and death of her husband. I believe LM appealed the verdict and never paid a cent. Please forgive my lack of intel on the situation. Could someone bring me up to speed on the outcome of that situation.

http://cases.justia.com/us-court-of-appeals/F2/878/1311/

We conclude that plaintiff's claims are subject to the government contractor defense, and that the record before us establishes the conditions of the defense. Accordingly, we reverse the judgment of the district court and remand for entry of judgment in favor of General Dynamics.

Became the basis of an HBO movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103626/

I also remember the widow being interviewed on "60 Minutes".

Google on "Ted Harduvel" or "Janet Harduvel" for more info.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back