• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eagle Escapees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I left and came back. I had the honor of finding a job with worse benefits than Eagle.

I know, take a deep breath and read that again.

I am 3 numbers junior to JP11 when he left Eagle. (How's it going, Pipes? I know a Captain at Sky West with 2 years seniority that makes 10% more than I do flying a EMB-120, and he's upgrading to the CRJ this month.

I doubt I'll see EMJ captain for another year, but that is all at the mercy of the negotiations underway between APA and AMR. Who knows what result awaits the Eagle pilots after those negotiations. To think I turned down a CRJ captain slot at Express One last year...

Too many of my peers are looking at Eagle as a career. I did when I got hired because I (use your favorite adjective here) believed the line "We'll all be part of American in five years..."

It's five years later. (insert pregnant pause here...) I'm refining my resume and sending it out. I even got my F/E written test completed.

As soon as I get a good place to go, I'm gone.

??

For those who left....

Why does it suck? I know you guys had a ridiculously long contract, and I heard that upgrades take forever....what were the main beefs?

Chunk

PS--I've been to Puerto Rico before....that alone would make me want to look elsewhere.

I have been stuck down here in SJU for the last two years. I am at my wits end! Been sending resumes out with no luck! ASA has stoped hiring there pilot pool is fat and Comair is taking forever! Then our MEC was down here for the last few days and he told us that sale of Executive was a done deal!What a poor beat up Eagle fo to do??? HELP!!!!!!!

Feduppilot,

Hang in there. I spent some time based in SJU and have a pretty good idea about the things that can drive you bonkers down there. Look on the bright side. If they do sell off Exec., you could get a new contract and fight hard to make it much better than the current POS. There is no excuse for the dismal FO salaries that they pay for flying the ATR. That thing is a money hound, especially with the price of those tickets to the islands. Keep sending out those resumes. At least you are getting more experience and flying. Something will break!

Chunk,
While I am still here, I am on the verge of leaving. I can tell you why friends of mine have left and why more will be leaving. Each person has their own reasons, but many of the factors are:
You could go to another regional and upgrade in a few years vs. many years here. You can be a jet captain elsewhere 2 or 3 times faster than here.
A second year FO at some of the better regionals (ASA, ACA, Comair, etc) makes almost as a new Saab captain here, which is not even a factor because upgrades are at a screeching halt here.
Our 16 year contract has killed morale.
The flow was'nt working and surely won't work now. It is essentially over for good.
The latest deal with "American Connection" has really made lots angry here. For years, we have run under the premise that "at least we have stability here at the largest regional". While the industry is in flux and no one is secure, including "American Connection" into our ASM cap and transferring aircraft in that direction surely does not help the Eagle pilot. It's only a matter of time until AMR has them flying our routes since they get paid a bit less.
AMR will likely sell off Executive (SJU and MIA) soon and thus, limit our upgrades and futures ever farther.
We are shrinking and others are growing.

The people (crews) here are great. I've learned a lot and I have had fun. I feel that there is more out there in the terms of advancement and my personal future. I think most everyone else who has had the courage to leave has felt the same.

Sale of Executive? Does that include MIA? Do you know where I can get more info on the sale? Like who bought them and what will become of the pilots. Thanks

Mike

Executive used to be only the SJU operation. In the last few months, MIA was made part of Exectutive since those two bases are the only ones left with ATR's.
As far as info. on who the potential buyer will be, I am not sure. I've heard it's a consortium involving Carnival cruise lines.
The pilots would have 5 years, per our contract, to bid back to the "mainline" American Eagle system. That might be hard if we do not grow in that time frame.

JetTexas

Thanks for the kind words. I just hope for the best. Once again thanks. I guess I should be grateful I have a job.

Hey Fedup,

You might want to try Air Wisconsin: hiring 140 between now and the end of the year and 400 or so next year. Right now there are 625 on the list, so that'll make a big difference. There are plenty of former Eagle folks flying for us now. And, our domiciles aren't too bad, either!

Thanks for the advice. I sent my resume to them the other day via email. Still have not heard anything. I would love to work for Air Willy.I have heard nothing but good things! Thanks!

Latest resources

Back