• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eagle Desperate now?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Compass is having lots of trouble filling ours as well. The problem we have is all new hires must meet atp mins! Just think this is how it will be everywhere when the new rules kick in.

I think the hotel being paid for during new-hire school would change a lot right there.

Not to mention simply making first year pay start at the second year rate.

I think the hotel being paid for during new-hire school would change a lot right there.

Not to mention simply making first year pay start at the second year rate.
yea kinda like JUS full pay first day, plus 10 days in the hotel to fine a crash pad

I was called 2 weeks ago and offered a job without an interview. I turned down the Job offer. I don't remember applying to them, must have been one of those drunken nights after getting furloughed.

A week after turning the job offer down, they sent me another email asking me to interview with them.

Like the 2008 hiring boom you predicted in 2003?

Let's hope you're right this time!!!
no it was the 2007 boom, and you have to admit is was a hot hiring time

no it was the 2007 boom, and you have to admit is was a hot hiring time

it was and would have continued had age 65 not happened. Even with the down turn in the economy. Fedex from what I understand has over 400 guys over 65. American has more guys over 60 than under 40. The next 20 years are gonna be crazy. Even during hard times the airlines should be able to get away with retirements taking care of pull down rather than furloughs.

it was and would have continued had age 65 not happened. Even with the down turn in the economy. Fedex from what I understand has over 400 guys over 65. American has more guys over 60 than under 40. The next 20 years are gonna be crazy. Even during hard times the airlines should be able to get away with retirements taking care of pull down rather than furloughs.
age 65 accelerated the slow down, but the economy was starting to slow down by Mar 08, we saw a pretty good drop off in on-demand, one of the leaning economic indicators. Then came $140/brl oil, which is like adding power in a descent. So their were a combination of events that lead to lots of hiring followed by lots of lay offs, to be followed by lots of hiring.

and as a 10,000 hour pilot with 4 type rating, I could not get an interview at AE in 1996 because I did not have 500 hours in the previous 12 months, I only had 370 in the TC-690

You are old enough and experienced enough to have lived through many of these cycles. When I started flight training in '90, hiring was gangbusters. Get your 1500/200 ATP and on to the regionals. When I completed my COMM/MULTI in Jan 91, hiring had stopped. Scraped around for years. I hired at AE 12/96. When I first got on property, there were FO's with 7 years, then it went nuts. In 12/97 I upgraded in the SF340 with 2000/1000 TPIC. Just after I upgraded, AE had so many low time pilots and the upgrades were coming so fast that AE had to institute a 4000 HR minimum for upgrade. 121 time counted 2 for 1. There were also programs with ND and ER for low time pilots. I forget what it was, but it was less than 1000/100.

History is doomed to repeat itself.

Someone was telling me that they were poking around on the FAA website, and something like only 500 or 5000 ( I can't remember which) commercial pilot certificates were issued last year. duh dun duh.

Latest resources

Back