Dynamic Stability and Short-period oscillations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RJPilott

The feds say that short period oscillations need to be dampened immediately on any airplane tested or it can contribute to pilot induced oscillation and loss of control.

Im wondering, are a few short periods acceptable as long as its dampened to die out over time? Or is an aircraft not allowed to have any oscillations at short period and have to be dampened to at the very least a longer period (phugoid). Thanks!

Please provide references if its not too much trouble...

I know.. stability questions... ugh! Sorry... hopefuly someone can help...

RJPilott said:
The feds say that short period oscillations need to be dampened immediately on any airplane tested or it can contribute to pilot induced oscillation and loss of control.

Im wondering, are a few short periods acceptable as long as its dampened to die out over time? Or is an aircraft not allowed to have any oscillations at short period and have to be dampened to at the very least a longer period (phugoid). Thanks!

Please provide references if its not too much trouble...

I know.. stability questions... ugh! Sorry... hopefuly someone can help...

I would say it really depends on the aircraft category and its known history of usage in the industry IE... A Cessna 172 is used a lot for training purposes so I would say its going to exhibit good positive static stability (it re-corrects itself to level flight)

What aircraft are you referring to? If I got in it personally I would try and correct it myself using very slow and cautious movements. If you are referring to a BE-76 than that thing gets Dutch Roll like no other, then again I would try and correct it myself using very slow and cautious movements though.

Latest resources

Back