DW is mad at Jetblue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
B6Guy said:
As for the Autoland, maybe you haven't seen what the Bus can do, it is amazing how well it can autoland. Maybe you need to check it out. If the wx is so bad that the autoland is not allowed, then make a 'command decision' and go to another airport!

And if you are a G4/G5 guy, you know how easy a turn with a downloaded flight plan is. Piece of cake. You know the workload in a full glass cockpit, what do you do that wears you out so? Memorize the flight manual? Study for a class?? Are you nervous being a pilot. ??
QUOTE]

So let me get this straight. You come back to JFK into that snowstorm everyone is talking about. Airplanes are getting in, but you can't autoland because of let's say the crosswind component. However, the current braking action report / crosswind component appears to be in check in this quickly changing environment. Since you are tired, you will make that "command decision" to divert after a transcontinental flight to one of the other areas of delightful weather that is sure to be just a short hop away from JFK right? When the company asked why you diverted, you will tell them that you were tired and could not autoland even though the weather conditions both did not require and would not permit an autoland. That sounds plausible.

Yeah the Bus autoland is something else. Ever see it screw one up below 50 feet? It isn't a crutch for tired pilots.

General Lee said:
How about less pilots needed? Ever think of that? Oh, that's right, you guys are hiring.....

How about knowing that you WILL BE EVEN MORE TIRED UPON ARRIVAL AND ANY BAD WEATHER WILL MAKE IT WORSE? Can you deny that one? Change is bad....

I am sure every day will be perfect, with no delays, no bad weather, no surprises......

Bye bye--General Lee

GL

First...

The number of pilots remain the same. No change to 30/seven or 100/mo or 1000/year. The company will still need the same number of pilot to fly the same number of hours. Each pilot just gets his hours in less day.

Second....

I'm sure you've been on some of the 3 or 4 leg 7+45 hour days, where everything goes wrong with delays, ground holds, diverts, etc. (well, maybe at delta you don't get over 7 hours a day). But I would much rather plan to do 10-12 hours of flying in 12-14 hour work days than to be surprised by it. That way I can plan my sleep as needed to be rested. Companies now can make you work 16 hours a day for min hours, but a reduction to say a 12 or 14 hour work days with the ability to fly more hours is less stressful and less demanding on you. Then you get the benefits of being home more days per month. (unless you don't want to be home more?)

Third.....
Change is bad? I don't think so. Doing exactly the same thing day after day leads to boredom and inattention to detail. Change helps keep you alert and on your toes.

FNG

FNG320 said:
GL

Third.....
Change is bad? I don't think so. Doing exactly the same thing day after day leads to boredom and inattention to detail. Change helps keep you alert and on your toes.

FNG

Uh.... What do you think doing transcon turns will be. Sheer excitement?? I think not. Our JFK SEA legs are a killer! Then to turn around and do it again, no way. If you want to do that, knock yourself out, but not me.

If productivity is an issue at JB (or B6, or whatever monicker you want to give them), how about adding an RFO to the transcon pairings? Probably not, 'cause that costs money. Why keep the rules the way they are? 'Cause that costs money. But the problem is, if you give pilots a BLG (bid line guarantee) and they only have to fly a certain number of block hours per month, and you load them up with 9+ hour block days, you effectively reduce the number of pilots on hand. Requiring either more pilots (costly) or fewer pairings (not gonna happen if business is available).
So how does this save the company money, UNLESS they change other rules allowing (read between the lines) more hours per line, more days worked per month, etc. We can see where this is going, all in the interest of "scientific research".
In a former life I flew 13 hours at a time (albeit with 3 pilots) for a total duty day sometimes well in excess of 18 hours. It sucked BIG TIME. And I did it sometimes all day, followed by all night the next time. Thankfully that didn't happen EVERY month, like an airline pilot's schedule would necessitate.
It is understandable that pilots of most airlines would fear this study as an attempt to erode very sacred safety measures instilled to protect them and the passengers they carry.

P.S. - "dave griffen" AKA wannabe Navy Seal AKA wannabe Part 121 Operator AKA wannabe noticed: Do us all a favor and shut the F##K UP until you grow a conscience and change that avatar (and gain some experience and insight)!!

737 Pylt said:
Uh.... What do you think doing transcon turns will be. Sheer excitement?? I think not. Our JFK SEA legs are a killer! Then to turn around and do it again, no way. If you want to do that, knock yourself out, but not me.

Riiiiighttttttt. You'll never take concessions, you'll never furlough, bla bla, bla...Times are a changin' It'll start with retirement at 65, 10 flight hours per day , soon to be 12, followed by 120 seaters dominating the industry. ALPA will soon be the NHL.

FWIW, the Japanese Battleship Yamamoto was sunk by the US Navy, 60 years ago today. For all you doobie smoking, non-serving ingrates, this historical event will mean less than the day ALPA caved on the 8 hour duty day. "But the weather is bad and I am tired and I don't feel like flying." 65 year retirement, 10 hour duty day, 2 legacy carriers by 2015. Duane Woerth's legacy.

miles otoole said:
FWIW, the Japanese Battleship Yamamoto was sunk by the US Navy, 60 years ago today. For all you doobie smoking, non-serving ingrates, this historical event will mean less than the day ALPA caved on the 8 hour duty day. "But the weather is bad and I am tired and I don't feel like flying." 65 year retirement, 10 hour duty day, 2 legacy carriers by 2015. Duane Woerth's legacy.

Quite the cynic.

Are you suggesting that we are at war carrying paying passengers and should do whatever it takes to accomplish the "mission." Didn't you hear lieutenant that this cause was already lost at the Battle of Little Rock?

How would you like to end up at a public hearing like that AA F/O did trying to explain your failed actions at the end of a long, nasty duty day? I read the transcript, it wasn't fun and the "fog of war" argument would have gone no where.

Counting on being able to sleep thru the autoland on the return leg is just plain moronic.
I'll say it again - you guys are idiots. . . .

After flying from JFK to LAX in headwinds, I am ready for a nap. (And I am only 40 years young) Going back to JFK would $uck. The scariest thing for me after returning to ATL after close to 8 hours of flying (maybe a FLL---LGA---FLL---ATL day) is just driving home without getting into an accident. It is dangerous. Throw some bad weather into the mix after a 10 hour combination of flights, and you are asking for trouble. But, maybe you JB guys can handle it with those super advanced A320s.....?

Bye Bye--General Lee

How about knowing that you WILL BE EVEN MORE TIRED UPON ARRIVAL AND ANY BAD WEATHER WILL MAKE IT WORSE? Can you deny that one? Change is bad

How about the crew in the SF340 on leg 7 and hour 12 duty in bad wx? I don't see any crusade to change this. 2 legs vs 6+ legs - I think the two leg crew is less tired = safer. We begin to tire the moment we wake up. Which is more of a factor, flight time or duty time?

Where did 8 hours come from? Maybe it is too restrictive or not restrictive enough. Where is the evidence that 8 hours is the right number? If research supports changing it, up or down, I have no problem. Let us decide based upon fact and not emotion.

Latest resources

Back