Dump Duane Worth ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bendover

Duane worth is up for reelection to another 5 year term . Why isn't there a ground swell movement to get rid of this guy. He has led alpa while we have seen the profession decimated by mgmt . salaries have fallen move than in any other time in aviation history. retirements have eliminated or drastically reduced. work rules have been trashed. Multiple bankruptsys of alpa carriers. NWA. Delta. United. Usair. ATA. America West. TWA.aloha, Comair,Mesaba, all have one thing in common ALL represented by ALPA!!!!!!!!!!
American,UPS, Jetblue ,Southwest, Airtran, Continental. also have something in common, NO ALPA independant unions and all seem to be healthy and profitable is the a relationship here?
Alpa needs new leadership and direction. its lost its focus it doesn't represent the pilots anymore it represents its self its become a beauracracy. how come duane worth hasn't taken a 40% pay cut on his salary just like all the carriers pilots he supposively represents?

bendover said:
Duane worth is up for reelection to another 5 year term . Why isn't there a ground swell movement to get rid of this guy. He has led alpa while we have seen the profession decimated by mgmt . salaries have fallen move than in any other time in aviation history. retirements have eliminated or drastically reduced. work rules have been trashed. Multiple bankruptsys of alpa carriers. NWA. Delta. United. Usair. ATA. America West. TWA.aloha, Comair,Mesaba, all have one thing in common ALL represented by ALPA!!!!!!!!!!
American,UPS, Jetblue ,Southwest, Airtran, Continental. also have something in common, NO ALPA independant unions and all seem to be healthy and profitable is the a relationship here?
Alpa needs new leadership and direction. its lost its focus it doesn't represent the pilots anymore it represents its self its become a beauracracy. how come duane worth hasn't taken a 40% pay cut on his salary just like all the carriers pilots he supposively represents?

Continental is now represented by ALPA not the IACP. I believe that the current contract was ratified by CALPA. I think some of the issues you have brought up have contributed to the rise of independant unions. The APA is an example of a pilot group taking issue with ALPA policy and electing to go it alone.

Last edited:
I'm constantly amazed that people continue to refer to ALPA like it is some sort of holy diety or something. Guess what? Every pilot flying for an ALPA-represented carrier *is* ALPA. ALPA isn't Duane, ALPA isn't everybody else in Herndon, ALPA is you and me and everybody else that constantly bitches about whats wrong but won't ever offer any solutions to the problems facing us.

You talk about NWA, DAL, UAL, ATA, AWA, Airways like ALPA took them to the woodshed and spanked them. The national union cannot control company greed industrywide, and if the pilots (remember, they make up ALPA) are not united with their local leadership, neither can they. Every concessionary contract that is in place right now is because the pilot group ratified it.

Want to blame ALPA? Blame yourself. Blame everybody who didn't vote, didn't go to road shows, didn't educate & inform themselves. Hindsight is always 20/20 when you make a decision looking down the barrel of a furlough gun.

rant off.

bendover said:
Duane worth is up for reelection to another 5 year term . Why isn't there a ground swell movement to get rid of this guy.

Actually, there is a ground swell movement to get rid of him....unfortunately, it is all on message boards like this one...and not where it needs to be.

Sadly, too many ALPA members refuse ( for whatever reason) to take ownership in their own organization. Most aren't even aware of how to get the ball rolling to get rid of Duane.

Right now you are looking at the ALPA BOD coming up next month. The last LEC meetings before this BOD have probably already occured. But how many resolutions have been brought forward by the rank and file membership at those LEC meetings calling for the removal of Duane? I would venture to say...very few, if any.

Some guys have said that they talked to their reps in the crew rooms about getting rid of Duane, uhhh, OK. Some have said that they e-mailed their reps with the same message....again, uhhhhh, OK....that gets it off your chest, but it doesn't get it done the way that the ALPA by-laws are set up.

See, the ALPA by-laws call for involvement by the rank and file if there is to be any change. Yes, I-N-V-O-L-V-E-M-E-N-T. Resolutions are the way to make change in the ALPA structure, not calling or e-mailing or talking to your reps in the crew rooms.

Next time you hear a pilot complaining about ALPA, ask him if he has introduced a resolution to get some change started....I'll bet the answer won't surprise you. Just like I won't be surprised when Duane gets re-elected next month.

Tejas

bendover said:

The term is 4 years not 5.

I think his next term will be 10 to 20 at Leavenworth federal penitentiary. His new wife will be called Rasheed and he will have his new husband, Duane, be the camel!

BoilerUP said:
I'm constantly amazed that people continue to refer to ALPA like it is some sort of holy diety or something. Guess what? Every pilot flying for an ALPA-represented carrier *is* ALPA. ALPA isn't Duane, ALPA isn't everybody else in Herndon, ALPA is you and me and everybody else that constantly bitches about whats wrong but won't ever offer any solutions to the problems facing us.

You talk about NWA, DAL, UAL, ATA, AWA, Airways like ALPA took them to the woodshed and spanked them. The national union cannot control company greed industrywide, and if the pilots (remember, they make up ALPA) are not united with their local leadership, neither can they. Every concessionary contract that is in place right now is because the pilot group ratified it.

Want to blame ALPA? Blame yourself. Blame everybody who didn't vote, didn't go to road shows, didn't educate & inform themselves. Hindsight is always 20/20 when you make a decision looking down the barrel of a furlough gun.

rant off.

I see your point, however I think what makes people upset is that when the carrier comes to the employees and askes for concessions ALPA is not yelling from the roof tops to try and stop it. It's gone on long enough and someone needs to stand up to the companies continued degradation of our work rules and pay.

BoilerUP said:

rant off.

Spot on,
I'm NO fan of Duane and I do believe that national was impotent at best in the leadership category during the last five years. But the heart of the problem and solutions lie's at the local level where it should be.

One particular issue that national should be headbuttin is the onerous security check in were forced to endure while rakeesh and his buddies cleaning your aircraft swipes his card downstairs and has easy access to YOUR A/C while your being stripped searched and sodomized for the benifit of showing the travelling public how TSA's on the ball while the majority of pax have no freakin clue as to what goes on the bowels of your aircraft and who's allowed access to it. That's ONE huge issue National has had on it's plate for over 5 years with NO results.

Rant over.

Peace

Koko

Captain Overs said:
I see your point, however I think what makes people upset is that when the carrier comes to the employees and askes for concessions ALPA is not yelling from the roof tops to try and stop it. It's gone on long enough and someone needs to stand up to the companies continued degradation of our work rules and pay.

And I think what really should make people upset is when the carrier comes to the employees and asks for concessions and immediately, a large part of the pilot group starts telling their union reps to give in...even to the point of calling management directly and telling them that they'll do anything to keep their jobs and get the concessions passed.

With 60+% of the votes in favor of concessionary contracts ...what exactly do you expect your union reps to do? Duane can't lead if he has nobody standing behind him.

We've seen some ALPA reps on local TV, admonishing their fellow MEC reps for not giving in to the company's requests....And you want ALPA yelling from the rooftops??? Can we get real here ?!?!

Oh...and by the way...the aforementioned ALPA rep on local TV? Still on the LEC....not even the hint of a recall at that council....and you still want somebody yelling.....Ahhhh-kayyyyy <eyes rolling>

Tejas

koko nw said:
One particular issue that national should be headbuttin is the onerous security check in were forced to endure while rakeesh and his buddies cleaning your aircraft swipes his card downstairs and has easy access to YOUR A/C while your being stripped searched and sodomized for the benifit of showing the travelling public how TSA's on the ball while the majority of pax have no freakin clue as to what goes on the bowels of your aircraft and who's allowed access to it. That's ONE huge issue National has had on it's plate for over 5 years with NO results.

Since the late 1980's when then Secretary of Transportation started all employees to go through the metal detectors, the rule has been that you only have to go through the detectors ONLY if you are in the public view.

Same rules apply today. Let me just say that this is not the case at every airport. Just find a way to get there while not in the public view, and you won't have any problems.

"Stripped searched and sodomized"? Can't say I've ever had that happen to me. I know they have a job to do. Having said that, do they get overzealoous on the job? Sure they do, but heck, I do too. Got a problem with their over-zealousness? Call your chief pilot and let him/her know what the problem is.

Don't like the present system? Write to your congressman/senator and tell them what your gripe is.

Tejas

Latest resources

Back