Dump Duane Worth ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BoilerUP said:
I'm constantly amazed that people continue to refer to ALPA like it is some sort of holy diety or something. Guess what? Every pilot flying for an ALPA-represented carrier *is* ALPA. ALPA isn't Duane, ALPA isn't everybody else in Herndon, ALPA is you and me and everybody else that constantly bitches about whats wrong but won't ever offer any solutions to the problems facing us.

Hallelujah!!! Somebody actually gets it!

bendover said:
Duane worth is up for reelection to another 5 year term .

Sigh...

This comment at the very beginning of your post indicates our real problem. The problem isn't Duane, the problem is that 95% of the membership doesn't have a clue how ALPA works. Five year term you say? Not exactly. Maybe you should go actually read the Bylaws and find out what it really is. In fact, read the Bylaws, read Flying The Line Vols. 1 & 2, read your MEC and LEC newsletters, go to the Local Council meetings, volunteer for a committee, etc.... Do something and get informed instead of whining and blaming Duane for all of your problems.

Tejas-Jet said:
Since the late 1980's when then Secretary of Transportation started all employees to go through the metal detectors, the rule has been that you only have to go through the detectors ONLY if you are in the public view.

Same rules apply today. Let me just say that this is not the case at every airport. Just find a way to get there while not in the public view, and you won't have any problems.

"Stripped searched and sodomized"? Can't say I've ever had that happen to me. I know they have a job to do. Having said that, do they get overzealoous on the job? Sure they do, but heck, I do too. Got a problem with their over-zealousness? Call your chief pilot and let him/her know what the problem is.

Don't like the present system? Write to your congressman/senator and tell them what your gripe is.

Tejas

Thanks Tejas for the history lesson, really. My comments in regards to being stripped and sodomized may have been too dramatic :) And I do realize they have a job to do, sometimes thankless no doubt but so do we right?

I guess my main rant being how we have a two tier security system. One for us and another for them. Maybe from my vantage point, THEY pose a greater security risk then the working crewdogs sloggin it out day in day out. And should get the full meal deal as far as security and not just me if were going to play this one out for the public.

I disagree with your last point though, ALPA is my voice to our electorate and has much more clout then any individual. By the way it's there job, and yes this issue has been brought up at the local lec level at least at my carrier.

Anyhoo thanks for the comments.

Peace

koko

Last edited:
PCL,

Correct. What really matters is whatever your local is. I am pretty sure Boilerup is AWAC, and although our group has had it's issues, we have a good, strong ALPA group and an involved membership, relatively speaking. These are the factors that make the union work for the group as a whole.

The only place I disagree with you on is that although the local groups are responsible for themselves, the leadership starts at the top. Is ALPA evil or wrong? No, but it could be led better. And I do believe that DW has done the profession a disservice by advocating the raping of our contracts. He should definitely be replaced, and I have made such a motion at the LEC level before.

We'll all have to see what happens on Oct.

Peace.

Rekks

Worth SUCKS, whens the last time the Top Management of ALPA (Worthless) was on the news screaming about the pilots getting bashed to death, until we submit, or leave the industry,. Ya, It's all of our faults for him being so useless? NO He is a Weasel hiding in his ALPA paid apt. in Herndon. He should be on the news At least monthly. That's managing, not cowering. WORTHLESS IS OUT. PIECE OF SH!T !!!!!!

The MEC's give in to demands for concessions because they know that no other ALPA carrier will stand with them if they are threatened. It is, and has been for the past 40 years, 'every man for himself' when it comes to resisting concessions.

If there had been a SOS when drug screening was introduced--AND the threat had been maintained thereafter the management would have thought twice about coming after concessions.

Hank Duffy could have pulled the trigger on the SOS. Yes, he would have done some jail time. Excuse the F*** outta me! You're the head of one of the most powerful unions in the WORLD and you are afraid to go to jail? Well step aside, Hank, we'll find someone who understands the job.

John L. Lewis is spinning in his grave. No, actually, he's probably saying "you get what you pay for".

ALPA members have paid for nothing. They've made no sacrifices (other than the long-forgotten CAL or EAL assessments which they grumbled and bitched about) and taken no risks.

But, all of us are at fault. What MEC would vote to sympathy strike (yes I know it's in violation of the RLA--we play by the rules while management changes the rules to fit their needs) to support someone else? They were/are too afraid to gamble THEIR careers as their "brothers" are losing theirs.

THAT'S how we got where we are.

How do we fix it? I don't think it can be fixed at this point. Rez made my point on another thread discussing the challenger to Woerth when he complained that this guy had no experience at ALPA National. When you keep electing your leadership from the same inbred pool of individuals that got you into this mess, how can you change the direction of the association?

The people who work in Herndon have gotten there the same way for decades--a career of grunt work performed in the hopes of moving up to higher and higher office until one day being plucked from the purgatory of line flying to a cushy job at National. From there, you go along to get along and maybe knife a couple of people to get further up the food chain before you retire (often with your last line qualification being on an aircraft your airline doesn't operate anymore).

Until airline pilots realize that they are blue collar labor and ACT LIKE IT, it will be every man for himself and "Compass" will be the status quo. TC

Tejas-Jet said:
how many resolutions have been brought forward

Uh.... wha? Did someone call me?

The only place I disagree with you on is that although the local groups are responsible for themselves, the leadership starts at the top. Is ALPA evil or wrong? No, but it could be led better. Rekks

You are kidding right? Please tell me you are trying out your ideas and not pushing this as reality. I went to an LEC meeting the other day...... THREE pilots showed up!

I'll say it again! THREE pilots showed up. Lead what? Leadership starts at the top of what? How can you lead a membership that does not exist! Trying to blame the leadership for not being able to lead and guide THREE pilots is rediculous. In order to have leadership you have GOT TO HAVE FOLLWERSHIP!!!

I am asking you to re-think your post. Or provide a better arguement how it is the leaderships fault and it starts with them... when only THREE pilots show up.

THREE!!!

Last edited:
The MEC's give in to demands for concessions because they know that no other ALPA carrier will stand with them if they are threatened. It is, and has been for the past 40 years, 'every man for himself' when it comes to resisting concessions.

And fear crept into enough pilots to ratify the concessions at the membership level.

If there had been a SOS when drug screening was introduced--AND the threat had been maintained thereafter the management would have thought twice about coming after concessions.

An SOS for drug screening? I'm cleaning my coffee of the screen...

Hank Duffy could have pulled the trigger on the SOS. Yes, he would have done some jail time. Excuse the F*** outta me! You're the head of one of the most powerful unions in the WORLD and you are afraid to go to jail? Well step aside, Hank, we'll find someone who understands the job.

OK Dan Brannan. If you have read Flying the Line, it is quite clear that Duffy Did not want an SOS. An SOS is a nuclear hand grenade. Quit calling for it cause it only gives a woodie to the radicals and ignorant.

John L. Lewis is spinning in his grave. No, actually, he's probably saying "you get what you pay for".

You speak for the dead?

ALPA members have paid for nothing. They've made no sacrifices (other than the long-forgotten CAL or EAL assessments which they grumbled and bitched about) and taken no risks.

Right.. that is the whole point of this career.. Days off and money. Why should ALPA pilots do any thing else... like fight for their rights when they can demand thier entitlements...

But, all of us are at fault. What MEC would vote to sympathy strike (yes I know it's in violation of the RLA--we play by the rules while management changes the rules to fit their needs) to support someone else? They were/are too afraid to gamble THEIR careers as their "brothers" are losing theirs.

THAT'S how we got where we are.

Because we are professionals... Do you see doctors striking.... If you want to go PATCO, then create the Ignorant Militant Pilots Association. (IMPA) Go kill your career and job... I'd like to keep mine thank you...

How do we fix it? I don't think it can be fixed at this point. Rez made my point on another thread discussing the challenger to Woerth when he complained that this guy had no experience at ALPA National. When you keep electing your leadership from the same inbred pool of individuals that got you into this mess, how can you change the direction of the association?

Kinda like politics in general. Same thing goes on, on CapHill. the reason why the same guys stay in office... is beucase they know how to play the game. My sources tell me that one of the ALPA Presidential candidates just shot himself politically case he tried to manuever in a way.. that doesn't work!!

And guys like you that call of action that doesn't work just causes us to regress....

Get it? No? I didn't think so.....

The people who work in Herndon have gotten there the same way for decades--a career of grunt work performed in the hopes of moving up to higher and higher office until one day being plucked from the purgatory of line flying to a cushy job at National. From there, you go along to get along and maybe knife a couple of people to get further up the food chain before you retire (often with your last line qualification being on an aircraft your airline doesn't operate anymore).

Its called democacy..... maybe you've a beeter idea for the placement of our leaders.

Until airline pilots realize that they are blue collar labor and ACT LIKE IT, it will be every man for himself and "Compass" will be the status quo. TC

I thought your issue was with ALPA national..? You mean it does begin with airline pilots....

Look in the mirror... all the solutions to our problems are there....

You forgot your "Bitter TWA pilot-I hate ALPA" disclaimer.... :beer:

ALPA is totally incapable of protecting you from the company, in fact they come to us for how to handle situations. ALPA purpose is to protect you the pilot from other pilots trying to bid into your work. Could you imagine pilots bidding their own contracts, the only positions that would pay anything are the jobs nobody wants to do; i.e. Flight instruction.

Latest resources

Back