Dumb Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nightmare67 said:
If the hight temp today is 0 degrees F, and the forecast for tomorrow is for it to be twice as cold, what will the temp be???
Absent a defined point of reference, I suppose we can make up anything we want. Using the Kelvin scale would yield a differnt answer than using the Centigrade or Celsius scale, and using the Farenheit scale would yield yet another answer. Given that the only scale mentioned in this question is Farenheit, one might be safe to assume the answer can be given in reference to the same scale. In that case, twice zero is zero, so the answer could be 0 degrees F.

Frankly, though, I'm still trying to determine the meaning of the word "hight" - - perhaps the trick to the question lies within it's definition. :eek: :rolleyes: :p ;) :)

Twice as cold does not vary upon the scale, it varies on the amount of heat present. Actually there is a definied point of reference, you actually almost touched upon it.

Just like if it is 5F..If it is 10F the next day, is it twice as hot? Of course not.

Last edited:
414Flyer said:
Just like if it is 5F..If it is 10F the next day, is it twice as hot? Of course not.
I submit that it's impossible to be as definitive as you propose absent an agreed-upon standard of reference. If the reference in your example is 0 degrees F, then 10 is twice 5. If the reference is the freezing point of water, 10 F is not twice 5 F. If the reference point is 0 degrees Kelvin, it's not twice the value.

You, I believe, are assuming that "twice as cold" is equivalent to "half as much heat" (and "twice as hot" is equivalent to "half as cold") referencing the Kelvin scale. While you might be right, I don't see any way to PROVE such an assumption based solely on the facts and question presented.

I would say we do have a reference point in terms of heat and that is absolute zero, just like if you say you are going twice as fast as a given speed, your reference is also zero.

Scales that have zero somewhere above the zero point of heat are useless and have to be converted into something that have zero at zero heat.

Its only the Kelvins scale, where zero actually does equal absolute zero. If it doesnt give zero as a start point, doubling the number doesnt mean twice as hot.

0F = 255.4 degrees K

We can divide that by half, since 0K is absolute zero

Which is 127.7K converted back to F = -229.8 .

Whoa! Easy there fellas. This was supposed to be a 'dumb questions" thread. Now, I know you guys are answering, not asking, but this is getting way too cerebral for the rest of us to come up with good, dumb questions. So, if you don't mind, I'm sure there's some NASA message board you guys could go to and debate quantum physics and whatnot, the rest of us are working on 'dumb' here. Thanks. ;)

why did someone deciede to start a airline that would compete against the routes I was hired for so my class date is delayed???

Its the nature of the business. I kind of wonder if it will actually work for them. 9 seat PC-12s huh? They are cheap to operate though!

IP076 said:
Its the nature of the business. I kind of wonder if it will actually work for them. 9 seat PC-12s huh? They are cheap to operate though!

Also; they are getting around security because the PC 12 will only carry nine people and the rule says ten or more...

They will be picking up and droping off at FBO's

This won't last long

Mooser

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back