• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DUI and the FAA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
your 'friend' is stupid, I would not want him flying me or my family around.

Statements like this do nothing to address the problem drinker. Are you sure have not been drinking yourself?
I have been drinking actually, the difference is that I am not driving anywhere!

Several issues are at work here. A legal issue is at the heart of the question, but perhaps the real answer shouldn't be the best defense, but the best treatment.

The "friend" has been picked up more than once for making the poor, dangerous, and criminal decision to drive with diminished capacity. For one who is paid to operate aircraft, the judgement exercised in operating a motor vehicle while not fully in control shows a dangerous trend; it speaks to overall judgement.

Alcoholism is definitely a disease; or those who think a disease only involves a living pathogen involving a body, do a little research and eduate yourself. An addiction is a disease. Many mental issues are diseases of the mind, and often of the body, too. Alcoholism is both.

Regardless of what it is, we have a trend. This isn't a mistake made long ago; this is a repeat trend, an makes one ask how many times the "friend" has operated intoxicated and not been caught. There is no excuse, and there is never an excuse. That it holds wide public acceptance is a tragedy of epic proportions, but does not make it excusable.

One who undertakes to fire a rifle down mainstreet on a quiet winter night wouldn't have any public sympathy, but one who undertakes to become intoxicated and operate a motor vehicle weighing thousands of times that of the rifle bullet and posessing the potential to do significantly more damage is given a pass...unacceptable.

Tell your "friend" to seek an attorney and seek help; he needs both. AA isn't for losers; it's for those seeking to gain control again. He needs to wake up and admit he has a problem, and seek to fix it. Alcoholism is never "fixed;" it doesn't go away, nor is one ever "cured." Seeking to fix it is a lifetime effort that requires unending effort and vigiliance, but there's no alternative and no excuse for doing otherwise. Hopefully he or she gets the help needed.

AvBug,

I would say some type of evaluation by a doctor would be in order. I don't think that any of us are doctor's which makes none of us capable of diagnosing a disease.

I'm not evaluating a disease. Alcoholism, however, is a valid, recognized disease.

Doctor or not, this brightspark has a history of dangerous, criminal activity, acquital or otherwise, and has shown that he or she doesn't learn too well.

But didn't Bob Sacramento say "Alcoholism is petty selfishness, and immaturity, nothing more."

Now I'm really confused

I'm not evaluating a disease. Alcoholism, however, is a valid, recognized disease.

Doctor or not, this brightspark has a history of dangerous, criminal activity, acquital or otherwise, and has shown that he or she doesn't learn too well.

Wow, I agree with avbug on somthing :) other then that it's a disease! It's an "addiction" and with strength along with will power and self control it can be beat just like smoking or any other "addiction".

When I drink I don't drive or ride with anyone that's been drinking. If I cannot afford a Taxi, Tow, or Motel/Hotel I stay home and drink or don't drink at all.

Last edited:

I agree that alcoholism is a disease. All I am saying is let a doctor diagnose the disease. It is possible to abuse alcohol without being a alcohilic. Let trained professionals be the judge.

Last edited:
Wow, I agree with avbug on somthing :) other then that it's a disease! It's an "addiction" and with strength along with will power and self control it can be beat just like smoking or any other "addiction".

Your opinion would not be inline with science, with medicine, or even with an any professional who treats "addictions." Educate yourself a little, and you'll learn you're wrong. You'll also learn you're wrong about "beating it." Spoken in the same vein as an alcoholic...who hasn't yet admitted to alcholoism. You never beat it. But you spend the rest of your life trying to be sober. Being sober doesn't mean you've "beaten" it, and you will never cure the "addiction."

It's a disease. It's classified as a disease. Any medical expert will tell you as much. Any medical journal, text, paper, or treatise will recognize it as such. Certainly any recovering alcoholic will tell you the same. Visit an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting some time; you may find it educational.

Latest resources

Back