• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DUI and FAA notification?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Both pilots that I know who got dui's beat the rap...go figure the odds.

Its been a long time for me, over 10 years, but I think you still have to report it whether you beat the rap or not. Because if memory serves me right, your drivers liscense is suspended right away, and then you go to court to fight it. So, you have to answer the question as to if you had an admisnistrative action.

Best thing is just don't drink and drive. Do you know where the line in the sand is? I didn't and was just over the line, I'm sure I had driven at much, much worse limits. Your career may be in that last beer.

Hung Start said:
Best thing is just don't drink and drive. Do you know where the line in the sand is? I didn't and was just over the line, I'm sure I had driven at much, much worse limits. Your career may be in that last beer.

That's the thing, you don't know where the line in the sand is. Even if you're below the limit you can get a DUI. A guy I work with was driving somewhere and came upon a group of kids that were standing next to the curb. As he approached, one kid pushed another in front of his car. He had zero time to react and hit the kid. He died. When the police showed up, they gave him a breathalyzer. In this case, my co-worker did nothing wrong. He had not been drinking, but if he had, he probably would have been arrested. The best thing to do is not drink at all if you drive.

FN FAL said:
You're on the right track...Here's some more.

When your buddy got the DUI arrest, he was probably given what the cops called, "a receipt" for his drivers license. That wasn't a receipt...that pink piece of paper was a notice of suspension or revocation. What they don't tell you is that the clock is running and you have like 7 or 10 days to request a hearing to keep your drivers license at least until you have gone to trial and are convicted.

What does this mean in the big scheme of things? I don't know, but if you want to keep your license until you go to trial, that might be an incentive. The other incentive is, if you go to the hearing and keep your license for a year while awaiting your DUI trial, you will not have to report your DUI to the FAA untill the conviction. What difference does a year make? Get an attorney and mull it over with him and make sure he knows about this FAA thing when you see him.

NOT TRUE. you have 60 days from administrative action to notify the FAA. I know this because in 03/2005 I was charged with a DUI. My attorney told me about this, and still FAILED to report it on my behalf after telling me "we got to report this to the FAA right away". 3 months later I get a Letter of Investigation from the FAA saying that it had not been reported. I went to court for it and WAS NOT CONVICTED of a DUI, but still am facing a 30 day suspension on my commercial license. Moral of the story, make sure you get a confirmation that the FAA has received the notice, if you get charged with any alcohol related offense...Or just don't drive after drinking any amount of alcohol.

I know of pilots that did not report their DUI/DWI and got caught by the FAA several years later. They had their ATP suspended for a few months.

Just to point out, AMC-700, is the security division of the FAA, not the medical division. Checking the block on the medical form is NOT notification.

This has already been noted, but I just wanted to note that the medical form is not the format to report the offense.

Hung Start said:

You're right, you can't get busted if you don't do it. Sure does make it hard for those of us in our 20s-30s that try to have a social life though. Since I started flying, I am super paranoid about getting a DUI. I hardly go out anymore because of it, and certainly not somewhere very far. There's nothing that says you have to drink when you go out, but when I'm playing pool or go to a concert it just seems to go hand in hand w/ the activity. Especially when you're in a state of drunks (FL)! I've never seen so many people that drink so hard. It is major taboo to drink and drive these days, but if most of us were honest I'd wager we've all done it a few times and just got lucky.

heph224 said:
My good friend got a DUI last night and he said that might not tell the FAA. I told him that you have 30 days or so and that you have to indicate it on your medical anyway. I also told him that if the FAA ever fnds out he lied they might suspend/revoke his certificates and not allow him to ever get an ATP since he does have good moral character. My question is as follows: If he notifies the FAA that he got a DUI, will the FAA suspend his certificates????

First of all, tell him to get a GOOD Atty and fight.

If he looses and he's convicted, he's got 60 days to report it. But not till he's convicted.

Nay, nay,, my friend. Two scenarios here. You are stopped and are tested. Over .08 in most states, your busted. But, you might fight and win. Still, they pull you ticket until the trial. Called an "administrative action", Refuse the test, in most states they will do an "administrative action" to suspend your ticket for 90 days. And, if I recall,, the medical askes if you have had any "administrative actions". Me, I'd blow and try to fight it. Inacuurate results, you were on cold medicines, bad breath, kissed "English" or "Hugh" for an excuse. A really good lawyer may have a shot at this. :) Once again,,, just don't drink if you know you have to drive. You have a better shot of flying and not getting caught. And I know you wouldn't do THAT!!! From there, though, I still think you have to report it, because you had the dreaded administrative action either way. I'm no lawyer, so I may be wrong here. And I'm married, so I know I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back