DUI and FAA notification?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

heph224

My good friend got a DUI last night and he said that might not tell the FAA. I told him that you have 30 days or so and that you have to indicate it on your medical anyway. I also told him that if the FAA ever fnds out he lied they might suspend/revoke his certificates and not allow him to ever get an ATP since he does have good moral character. My question is as follows: If he notifies the FAA that he got a DUI, will the FAA suspend his certificates????

heph224 said:
My good friend got a DUI last night and he said that might not tell the FAA. I told him that you have 30 days or so and that you have to indicate it on your medical anyway. I also told him that if the FAA ever fnds out he lied they might suspend/revoke his certificates and not allow him to ever get an ATP since he does have good moral character. My question is as follows: If he notifies the FAA that he got a DUI, will the FAA suspend his certificates????

I think it's 60 days to notify them. The FAA WILL find out. IF he doesn't disclose it, WHEN the FAA finds out they WILL suspend or revoke his cert. If he's a private, I'd bet on 180 day suspension. Comm or higher, i'd bet on revokation. He's screwed either way, but he will be in violation of several FARs if he doesn't disclose it. His best bet is to hire a good attorney and try to get the DUI reduced to something else.

I don't think it's an automatic certificate action. I could be wrong, of course.

When I was a private student, my flight instructor got one. I know that he reported it, and I know that he didn't get any certificate action.

Now he has a better (flying) job than many of us could dream of having. Some guys have all the luck.

found this info here- www.aviationmedicine.com - check it out for yourself as there is more info:)

Under 14 CFR 61.15, all pilots are required to submit a notification letter to AMC-700, within 60 calendar days of the effective date of an alcohol-related conviction or administrative action. For purposes of 14 CFR 61.15(c), alcohol-related convictions or administrative actions are referred to as motor vehicle actions (MVA).

An administrative action consists of a suspension, cancellation, or revocation of a driver license. Examples of administrative actions include a suspension, cancellation, or revocation of a driver license for driving with an excessive blood alcohol level or refusal to submit to a chemical or blood test. Airmen should be aware that the nature and duration of administrative actions varies among the states. For instance, some states, such as North Carolina, provide for a 10-day civil revocation for refusing to test. Other states may impose a lengthy suspension (e.g. 90 - 180 days) for a similar violation.

semperfido said:
found this info here- www.aviationmedicine.com - check it out for yourself as there is more info:)

Under 14 CFR 61.15, all pilots are required to submit a notification letter to AMC-700, within 60 calendar days of the effective date of an alcohol-related conviction or administrative action. For purposes of 14 CFR 61.15(c), alcohol-related convictions or administrative actions are referred to as motor vehicle actions (MVA).

An administrative action consists of a suspension, cancellation, or revocation of a driver license. Examples of administrative actions include a suspension, cancellation, or revocation of a driver license for driving with an excessive blood alcohol level or refusal to submit to a chemical or blood test.

You're on the right track...Here's some more.

When your buddy got the DUI arrest, he was probably given what the cops called, "a receipt" for his drivers license. That wasn't a receipt...that pink piece of paper was a notice of suspension or revocation. What they don't tell you is that the clock is running and you have like 7 or 10 days to request a hearing to keep your drivers license at least until you have gone to trial and are convicted.

What does this mean in the big scheme of things? I don't know, but if you want to keep your license until you go to trial, that might be an incentive. The other incentive is, if you go to the hearing and keep your license for a year while awaiting your DUI trial, you will not have to report your DUI to the FAA untill the conviction. What difference does a year make? Get an attorney and mull it over with him and make sure he knows about this FAA thing when you see him.

I did, I reported it, absolutley nothing happened. That downside is you have to check "u" or "v" I think on your medical EVERY time. In the comments you write "previously reported"

The Feds know we are all drunks, just don't do it a second time in 3 years. Then your an addict.

If your friend has an airline job or wants an airline job, he may have completely screwed himself. If he's a member of the AOPA legal services plan, have him call them

Maybe you would care to tell us what state this was in? It's not the end of the world, but you do have to follow the rules carefully so as not to step on your crank at a later date. I have a very good friend that handles a lot of these cases and as long as you are taking the correct legal course both with the state and the feds you should survive. The TSA does criminal background checks for all airline pilots and if your friend has a felony conviction for DUI, as is the case in some states, your probably in serious troble regarding an airline job. They already have enough problem children without hiring more in the their eyes at least. BTW, your friend should expect that this little indescretion will cost him anywhere from $5,000 at the min, to $10,000+ by the time it is over and that does not count any potential career damage that may have been done. Do a Google search and under FAA, DUI and you can find a lot of information.

In light of all the recent drunk pilot arrests (and the 2 that got jail time) I can't imagine any airline hiring a pilot that has a DUI within the last 10 years.

heph224 said:
I also told him that if the FAA ever fnds out he lied they might suspend/revoke his certificates
You can replace the word "might" with "will."

Latest resources

Back