Duane Worth Cashes in on B6

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
800Dog said:
What a shame, they will never know what great pay, benefits and work rules are like. Looking forward to all the replies that will follow.

It's all a matter of perception........

I happen to be one of those non-college graduate, didn't fit the "airline profile" types and just found a break in the ice.

What's wrong with that? I paid my dues in the military, flying, and it too has it's merit..........

Some of us (and we are a big club) think that OUR benefits, work rules, and (albeit not industry standard?) pay is OK and substancial for what we do on a day to day basis.

Like I said at first, it's all perception.

C yaaaa

jetblue320 said:
It's all a matter of perception........

I happen to be one of those non-college graduate, didn't fit the "airline profile" types and just found a break in the ice.

What's wrong with that? I paid my dues in the military, flying, and it too has it's merit..........

Some of us (and we are a big club) think that OUR benefits, work rules, and (albeit not industry standard?) pay is OK and substancial for what we do on a day to day basis.

Like I said at first, it's all perception.

C yaaaa

Could not agree more. Best of luck to you and your co-workers. I am looking forward to another career. I feel as if I have greater things to accomplish professionally. Flying was fun while it lasted.

CUZ said:
If banking 150 a year, and having 16 days off a month is working for pennies and eroding the profession, I'm dying to know what other ALPA boys were making as 4th year airbus Captains? As well, what are the ALPA boys making now and how many days off are they getting?

Well Cuz,
Airbus Captains at the legacy carriers were making well over $200hr before the eroding began! What they are making now and there days off can be attributed to your eroding of the profession. Enjoy your career or, should I say, job! You should be making much more and the truly sad part is, you do not even know any better. I cannot decide who is the enemy her. Pilots such as yourself or greedy management. By the way, 150k a year was good money in the 80s. Not much today to raise a family, fund your own retirement and be forced to retire at the young age of 60. You guys Blow!

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Look at it this way? If ALPA didn't say this, who would? The Jetblue Pilots Club? This isn't a slam on jB. They deserve thier due, and to be heard in Wash DC, where the rules are made.

That is not for Duane to say as Jetblue is a Non-ALPA carrier, Duane is not the official or unoffical spokesman for Jetblue, unless the Jetblue pilots want him to be.

The Jetblue crew did their job & did it well, that's it, Duane is simply riding the coat-tails of Jetblue....

In the press release he could have simply said said "Good job", & left it at that... Anything more than that & he is grandstanding......

Oh yeah, maybe next time in the press release you can make mention of Jetblue & include the link to the Jetblue website, since, Duane does care about Jetblue, hmmmm???!?

reality check

800Dog said:
Well Cuz,
Airbus Captains at the legacy carriers were making well over $200hr before the eroding began! What they are making now and there days off can be attributed to your eroding of the profession. Enjoy your career or, should I say, job! You should be making much more and the truly sad part is, you do not even know any better. I cannot decide who is the enemy her. Pilots such as yourself or greedy management. By the way, 150k a year was good money in the 80s. Not much today to raise a family, fund your own retirement and be forced to retire at the young age of 60. You guys Blow!

If if was up to me we would all the skygods and make $300K/year and have 21 days off per month. Too bad for all of us we live in a free market economy and we don't get paid what we're worth, but rather what the free market will bear and only if you have the ability to negotiate it. It's impossible to quantify what an airline pilot is worth. Is a ball player worth $3 million per year...it's what the market will bear. Blaming the industry and your own plight on your fellow pilots is the easiest thing to do but wrong.

The airline landscape is changing before our eyes. Pricing power once on the side of the airlines have shifted to the consumer after the advent of the internet. The shift towards efficiency in the market place is a natural progression for any business; and airlines are no exception while rising oil prices have only accelerated that evolution. We all know the complexity of the old pricing structure: over charge your best, repeat last minute customer where they are in the minority in numbers but provide the majority of your profit. It's taken almost 30 years since deregulation for this business model to fail. The majority of your profit better come from the majority of your customers.

Most JB guys Do know better and DO know what it was like to make the real $$ with the old legacy carriers. If you were making $200K plus in the old days, it's not because you were worth that much; it's what the market will bear at that time and only because your union got you that pay. Don't confuse or validate your self worth with your pay. JB only has 80 planes. Do you really believe if JB wasn't around the industry wouldn't be where it's at today? To insinuate we don't know what a good contract is or what good pay is is really just an ignorant statement... and to mock those w/o a college degree is beneath you!

If you are unable or unwilling to work under the present condition or pay and choose a different profession then that's a personal choice. You really need to wake up and smell the coffee. Pilots didn't "Erode" the profession.

Hey 800 guy. I respectfully disagree with you, unlike the hatred and contempt that you convey in your response. I have spent 25 years in a Piedmont/UsAir family, and watched my father go from a 300,000 Airbus salary to now making 120 yanking 76 gear, and his retirement raped from him. I distincly remember him saying his pay stub was nice to show his buddies, however he feared the repercussions it would repricate on his company. The results are now public record. I remember all to well the "parity plus contracts" that all the Alpa carriers drafted because we were all to selfish to accept the fact another carriers pilots made more money. Take a look around you. If you really think that a dozen companies are in bankruptcy because of a couple of 80 airplane startups, your knowledge is as shallow as your professionalism. For now, I am very happy with my salary and my days off. When the industry rebounds, I'll support a pay raise commensurate with how my company is doing. Its a shame someone with your contempt cannot channel your enery to the positive and help guide the profession to a respectable level again.

Chronic, Thats about the most well thought out and best post I have seen in quite some time. Thanks for taking time to reiterate that which should be quite obvious.

Hey 800 Dog, I have a college degree, make $150 an hour, have 17 days or more a month off and I am doing just fine. You need to go stay in a Motel 6 sometime and come back to reality.

CUZ said:
If banking 150 a year, and having 16 days off a month is working for pennies and eroding the profession, I'm dying to know what other ALPA boys were making as 4th year airbus Captains? As well, what are the ALPA boys making now and how many days off are they getting?

Okay Cuz I'm calling you out!!

A5th year JB CA makes $121 per hour. Above 70 you get time and a half. If the FAA allows you to fly 1000 hours per year, how do you bank 150k??? 70 hrs @ $ 121= $8470. 13 hours per month @ $180=$2340. That gives you a monthly total of $10,810. If you fly 83hrs for 12 months that gives you an annual paycheck before taxes, 401K, medical, etc. of $129,720. Where is the extra 20K coming from?

Latest resources

Back