Duane Worth Cashes in on B6

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Midnight Mike said:
That is not for Duane to say as Jetblue is a Non-ALPA carrier, Duane is not the official or unoffical spokesman for Jetblue, unless the Jetblue pilots want him to be.

The Jetblue crew did their job & did it well, that's it, Duane is simply riding the coat-tails of Jetblue....

In the press release he could have simply said said "Good job", & left it at that... Anything more than that & he is grandstanding......

Oh yeah, maybe next time in the press release you can make mention of Jetblue & include the link to the Jetblue website, since, Duane does care about Jetblue, hmmmm???!?

If DW can use the jB event to enforce the piloting profession, why is that bad? Grandstanding for who? The 100,000 Air Line Pilots in this country? I see that as a good thing...

In addition, just like you and I, DW can say what he likes. If he has an opportunity to address the Agenda of ALPA....wouldn't that be his job?

Great question Conman, and a very fair one at that. I had a check for 10 grand put in my 401 for profit sharing, and I made 8 and some change on an employee stock purchase sell out. As well, if you figure in some vacation pay, paid time off pay, and some 100 hour pay credit months youll get the figure you came up with. Please understand I'm not bragging. I'm just defending the frequent bashing we B6 guys take, and trying to educate those that are willing to understand our pay/benefits package really isnt that bad.

Duane made references to the race to the bottom and lack of experienced pilots flying. Well if he really wants to do something, he could start a campaign to inform passengers that when they get on some flights the pilots don't always work for the company that is painted on the aircraft, and may have very different experience levels then they assumed.

Chronic Jetlag said:
If if was up to me we would all the skygods and make $300K/year and have 21 days off per month. Too bad for all of us we live in a free market economy and we don't get paid what we're worth, but rather what the free market will bear and only if you have the ability to negotiate it. It's impossible to quantify what an airline pilot is worth. Is a ball player worth $3 million per year...it's what the market will bear. Blaming the industry and your own plight on your fellow pilots is the easiest thing to do but wrong.

The airline landscape is changing before our eyes. Pricing power once on the side of the airlines have shifted to the consumer after the advent of the internet. The shift towards efficiency in the market place is a natural progression for any business; and airlines are no exception while rising oil prices have only accelerated that evolution. We all know the complexity of the old pricing structure: over charge your best, repeat last minute customer where they are in the minority in numbers but provide the majority of your profit. It's taken almost 30 years since deregulation for this business model to fail. The majority of your profit better come from the majority of your customers.

Most JB guys Do know better and DO know what it was like to make the real $$ with the old legacy carriers. If you were making $200K plus in the old days, it's not because you were worth that much; it's what the market will bear at that time and only because your union got you that pay. Don't confuse or validate your self worth with your pay. JB only has 80 planes. Do you really believe if JB wasn't around the industry wouldn't be where it's at today? To insinuate we don't know what a good contract is or what good pay is is really just an ignorant statement... and to mock those w/o a college degree is beneath you!

If you are unable or unwilling to work under the present condition or pay and choose a different profession then that's a personal choice. You really need to wake up and smell the coffee. Pilots didn't "Erode" the profession.

If If? Sounds like high school english to me Cuz? Market will bear? If guys were not willing to fly an airbus for 120k a year we would not be in the predicament we are in. Why do you guys not have the ability to negotiate? I know the answer to that already. Just curious if you have figured it out yet. Believe me Cuz, I have smelled the coffee and no longer want to work in a field where high school graduates earn the same as college and post graduate folks. A college degree is supposed to be worth something but, I guess not in the piloting profession. Enjoy your job. By the way, you have no clue what a good contract is. Do you even have a contract?

800, your post is not even worthy of a response. You obviously dont know enough about the situation to even debate it. We dont have a contract, we dont pay for our planes, we clean the planes, dump the lavs, and load the bags, and we are only paying 25 cents a gallon for gas, and we fly 320's for 120 a year and only get five days off a month. You hit the nail on the head.

CUZ said:
800, your post is not even worthy of a response. You obviously dont know enough about the situation to even debate it. We dont have a contract, we dont pay for our planes, we clean the planes, dump the lavs, and load the bags, and we are only paying 25 cents a gallon for gas, and we fly 320's for 120 a year and only get five days off a month. You hit the nail on the head.

Actually Cuz, you seem clueless. Is 4th year captain pay at Jetblow not $118hr?(4th yr. based on your previous post) Absolutely pathetic! Do you have a contract? Other than the 5 year agreement signed with the company I mean. Did I say anything about you cleaning airplanes? Dumping the lavs? 25 cents per gallon? You seem awfully defensive. I suppose I would as well if I was whoring myself out to the lowest bidder. Enjoy it bro. I know you will, because your expectations are much lower than those of us who busted our asses to earn a degree as well as our flight training. Again, you are as much the enemy as management, probably worse!

How do you think I got here 800? I've got the degree, two actually. I instructed, flew freight, flew the commuters, flew corporate, flew the majors, flew corporate again, now the majors again. I've busted my backside to get where I'm at. No china was laid in front of my face my friend. I'm merely stating that I'm happy with my current situation considering what most of my pilot brothers are going through right now. I'm sure the folks at USAir, and DAL, and United, and others dont want to hear me complaining about pay and benefits. Have you ever considered the fact that a large chunk of our pilot force is furloughed from the other carriers that you speak so highly of? Whats funny is that most of the furloughed guys that are on our property are tickled with their current situation and are true professionals in every aspect of the term. Are you so no naive to think that a small 80 airplane carrier has caused the entire industry to crumble? If you are truly leaving the industry and moving on to (What you deserve), then get with it. Take your degree and HA!!!. No one made you any promises of fortune and riches when you signed on the line, and no one is going to do it in the future.

Latest resources

Back