• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Drunk SWA pilot - Jay Leno

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A pilot is a pilot. I see no difference between me and a 1900 guy. The only difference is the 1900 guy works a lot harder for what little he gets. We are all the same and my support is not exclusive to my carrier's pilots.

tie1on,

Moron.

Dude

He is not being too sensitive- maybe just a bit pissed that this pilot brother was accused, and he called in sick. I don't care who he flys for, it just so happens that it happens to be WN, and he happens to be a great guy and a great pilot.

He was NOT drunk. He did NOT drink a bit that day. He was accused LOUDLY by a Passenger in front of other passengers and started calling for the Police. Said pilot thought he might be better off just calling in sick. He NEVER said anything about 'partying at the hotel.' That part of the story is simply incorrect.

What would YOU do if a PAX started accusing you of being drunk and calling for the police. I know I have been told to gather your stuff and get off the plane. Isn't that basically what this guy did?

I know some of you are going to say, if you are OK, you should defend yourself. Just remember thats it's easy to armchair quarterback.

How would YOU feel if your name, age, and hometown was publicized on the nightly news for being drunk based solely on a passenger, without a breathalyzer, a blood test, nothing.

Now all of you want to swim in the unfortunate events of a fellow pilot.

Karma's a Bitch.

No evidence, no jeopardy. It is unfortunate it gets all this press with nothing but a couple of buddies riding as passengers deciding he wasn't fit to fly. This happens way too much but initially everybody takes the passenger or TSA's side. When the tests come back clean everybody has already forgotten about it.

Forgotten, until "Man with Bicycle-Seat Face" (Jay Leno) gets wind of it.

More details of this story will come out. But it sounds like he was trying to avoid getting busted from the current info that is out.

Here is the deal. If you are getting on your plane and someone challenges your soberness here is what I would do. First call the company and explain what is happening. Second, get a breathalyzer on the spot! Third, call your union rep and explain the situation. If you are not trying to hide anything then you have nothing to fear. As a bonus, you can watch the passengers 'chew up' the person that caused the delay in the first place.

More details of this story will come out. But it sounds like he was trying to avoid getting busted from the current info that is out.

Here is the deal. If you are getting on your plane and someone challenges your soberness here is what I would do. First call the company and explain what is happening. Second, get a breathalyzer on the spot! Third, call your union rep and explain the situation. If you are not trying to hide anything then you have nothing to fear. As a bonus, you can watch the passengers 'chew up' the person that caused the delay in the first place.

I disagree with your first point. Lesson learned from this SWA pilot, remove yourself from the situation and call in sick. Let everyone else do their job, while you crawl back into bad with your cold medication.

If the guy was being accused of being drunk...when he actually wasn't.....I would be defending him with the same zeal, no matter what airline he flew for.

If he wasn't drunk or hadn't been drinking then why did he run to the bathroom to call in sick.

come on...

I disagree with your first point. Lesson learned from this SWA pilot, remove yourself from the situation and call in sick. Let everyone else do their job, while you crawl back into bad with your cold medication.

That's fine if you disagree.

My point with calling the company was to have a reserve crew member come asap to cover your trip. You know if you are being wrongly accused of drinking before flying. I would want a breathalyzer right now to clear up any doubt of my sobriety. It will save your a$$ in the ensuing inquiry.

Why play games with calling in sick. You know darn well that the pax that ratted you out will be calling your airline and maybe notifying the press. No matter what happens you will be investigated. You have one shot to clear your name right off the bat.

Now if you are not sure you will pass a breathalyzer then go ahead and play the 'sick' game. You would think with the all the past issues of 'pilots under the influence' that you would know better than to risk your career.

The only person who saw this pilot that is trained specifically to identify intoxicated people was the police officer who twice said the pilot did not appear to be intoxicated.

Most of you are just judgemental dolts.

The only person who saw this pilot that is trained specifically to identify intoxicated people was the police officer who twice said the pilot did not appear to be intoxicated.

Most of you are just judgemental dolts.

Ok, I'll ask. What's a 'dolt'?

Latest resources

Back