• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Driving Record

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I might be offended if someone other than the village idiot took exception to my post.:rolleyes: :smash:

Ky.BrownBourbn said:
In certain states, Fifteen over the posted limit is reckless driving.

Here's a list with a chart of states and what they constitute as "reckless driving".

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html

In Wisconsin it's +25.

In Virginia, it's +20 or 80 MPH, whichever comes first. In addition, Virginia keeps a reckless driving ticket on record for 11 years. Additionally, failure to use a turn signal is reckless driving in Virginia.

Some states are listed as having +26, +35 or +40, as thresholds for getting the reckless driving ticket relevant to speeding.

The chart provided on a the link has a break down for every state. Consult your individual state laws to find more accurate data. Interesting to note:

In some states police have a threshold for reckless driving even though the law does not set one. I've heard a report that police in Minnesota consider speeding over 80 to be Driving to Endanger but will drop the criminal charge if the defendant requests a jury trial. Another driver says that Indiana police consider 25 over to be reckless; I have no information on the conviction rate there.
While Vermont generally considers +30 to be criminal excessive speeding, the law apparently does not apply on Interstate highways.

Last edited:
In Miami, reckless driving is using your turn signal. Everything else is ok, including driving a car ablazed.

You might want to contact your state probation dept. and ask them to send you a form to seal your record. In Mass. they will automatically seal yoyur record if you haven't had any violations in three years. The registry record will still show a traffic violation, but it doesn't look as bad as it does on a C.O.R.E. report. You can petition the court where the offense was but they may not let it go. Best bet is the state probation office which the clerk of court can get you the contact phone #. Good luck.

You can't seal anything with the internet and background companies the way they are today. Do an arrest record search on yourself so you have an answer to that question. If your license was suspended then it will appear on your NDR. In the end you will probably just report a speeding ticket to them if there is not arrest record.

You were convicted of speeding. That's what you will have to report on your application / interview (if asked).

Run a background check on yourself just to be sure that the city/county accurately reported what the ultimate disposition was.

I don't think you have much to worry about. Were you going 105+? Wow.

Be honest and tell the interviewers, "I was an idiot when I was young, I took NO regard for my safety, let alone the safety of those around me. I was caught going almost twice the speed limit on the freeway. But, I really want to fly for your airline."

Let me guess, your helmet was probably strapped securely to the back of your bike as you zipped along recklessly...

I hope it was worth it. Maybe you should look into crop-dusting. I don't want you flying my family around.

Last edited:
What about speeding tickets that don't show up on my driving record/NDR/or the state/county they were given in? When I was active duty military my license expired for many years since I didn't reside in the state that I was a legal resident of. As a result, there are no tickets on my record. Should I even mention them? I have about 5 in the past 15 years, one is 55 in a 35 that I'd rather not bring up.

Latest resources

Back