• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Drinking policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In a perfect world, you shouldn't need a policy about this. Unfortunately, this kind of policy comes about after someone abuses the privilege to use their own judgment.

ag2pilot hit it on the head....

Viper03 says his company wants to institute this policy for dispatch reasons? Ok, so what has changed in your company that yesterday they were not concerned about dispatching at the 'drop of a hat' and today they are. Something else is going on, as usually corporations give a bit more thought into policy changes.

And as others have said, is this also going to apply at home? Are you going to have off-duty crews and on-duty crews?

It's been mentioned that policy changes such as this are in response to an event, and I'd guess the same.

I've been with my outfit 6 years or so, and I have NEVER answered the phone, on the road or at home, and had to decline a trip because I was within the 8 hour period. And it's that's been same same at your company, I'd be asking some questions as to why the sudden change.

No policy just common sence. No drinking at 2pm while lounging at the pool while on a trip to Grand Caymen or HI. Drink em up after 5pm however!

none 12 hrs before a flight or before 5/6pm on the road (I forget)

no alcohol whatsoever?

WTF? why?

so that you can launch at the drop of a hat at 0100?...

thats old school poor management BS that is about as safe as launching drunk.

If you owner is that important and scattered with his schedule he needs to have 2 full crews at the departure end to wait in shifts.

Usually this CRAP is made up by some moron aviation "manager" too afraid to set some reasonable policy with the aircraft owners.

Here's another thought.

The Boss, who pays your salary, has a multimillion dollar asset out on the road, that he has the right to expect to be available in any reasonable time frame. Too long of a duty day? The Boss should understand.... Four hour duty day with a three day layover, 2 hrs after landing, some deal that he is working on (that helps buy shiny airplanes and pays your salary) blows up and he needs to go to Tucson right now. He calls you up and hears "sorry, I just drank a beer with lunch/dinner".... I don't think he should have to be very understanding on that one.

But I know, he's just a fat headed jerk, and should have planned better.

Also, how many of us are on a salary, and when we aren't on a trip, our time is our own. Then somebody in the office working 40 hrs per week says something about all our time off, and we justify it by the fact that when we are on the road, we are "working" 24 hrs a day since we are away from home.

Just my .02

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back