• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dress Code

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I spent a little time as a CFI and am happy to say that I never wore a tie to work. Come to think of it, other than the standard Air Force issue blue tie that is to be worn with a uniform I haven't worn since pilot training, I don't own a single tie. You're right that CFI's are professionals but you don't have to wear a tie to be professional. The finest CFI I ever came across wore cut off jean shorts and a ratty T-shirt to work. He had more students than he could shake a stick at. In fact he had to turn a bunch of students down because he just didn't have time to teach them.

I suppose when I make the jump to an airline puke (if they are ever hiring again) then I will be forced against my will to wear a tie. Until then, my closet will remain tie-free. My attic however, will continue to house the blue tie.

I agree...a CFI doesn't have to wear a tie to come off as professional but I think cut-offs are a bit casual for the job.

I'm almost always seen wearing my khakis or my "nice" jeans and a polo shirt. In a 172, a shirt and tie is just a tad too much. Of course, I just had my boss and owner tell me that he didn't want me wearing my jeans until the weekend for now (b/c of the fall wx) but am still confused on that.

On a side note, how many pants of yours have been ruined because students like to keep their ink stick in their right hand when they advance the throttle? I.E. they mark on your left knee??

One of my new rules I've adopted - no pens unless you're using them to write down info.

-Airnik

For Part 61 CFIs, Khaki pants or khaki shorts, with a company issued green polo-shirt with a modest logo. Can't complain. Only problem is that the line guys wear the same shirts and transient pilots are forever asking for us to fetch them some ice.

I'm with you, Cardinal.

Our company "uniform" included khaki dockers and a "staff" polo.

My current 135 company uses dark pants and white shirt with tie. We keep the rank insignia in the luggage for the flights out of the country.

Latest resources

Back