Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bobbysamd

Dress Codes

We had to wear ties, decent shirts and non-jean pants at ERAU-Prescott when I was there eleven years ago. The pants could be Dockers or something. Women didn't wear ties but wore equivalent blouses. Students had to wear long pants, shoes and socks, and shirts with sleeves for flight activities. Instructors complied with the dress code without resistance; some students resisted at times.

At FlightSafety in Vero, everyone wore uniforms. Light blue uniform shirts, dark blue ties and dark blue slacks for instructors, Assistant Chief Pilots and the Chief Pilot, white uniform shirts, black ties and black slacks for students. Ties were not required during the summer. Everyone wore epaulets (we instructor pukes only got two stripes. :( ). All staff wore these white-on-blue name tags with your name and "FlightSafety International" in small letters underneath, just as FSI staff wear at other centers. The only outerwear that was permitted were these dark blue plastic whatever FlightSafety windbreakers, for which the place graciously deducted $35 apiece from our paychecks. No A-2 jackets were permitted for instructors and students. The uniform codes were enforced, but I don't know of anyone who balked at it after being clued in on the requirements.

I don't recall any real specific dress code at MAPD, except that during the week instructors couldn't wear jeans. So, I wore my dark blue slacks that I bought from Penney's for FSI and white, short-sleeve crew shirts. I wore jeans on weekends. Students had to wear white shirts for their cross-countries.

I would say the negative effects of not adhering to a dress code would be that you are not with the program. Not being with the program can affect your chances of being hired as a CFI at the school. With MAPD, it might affect your chances for "the interview" adversely; accordingly, I don't recall any students who refused to comply with the dress code.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
At FIT we're required to wear long pants, close-toed shoes and shirts with sleeves. It is not a very demaning dress-code. It is only enforced 100% when actually in the airplane. It was enforce around 75% when on grounds or sim sessions. That also depended on the instructor though.

At the pilot factory I work at, the standard wannabe airline pilot uniform is required. The shirt, epilots, navy pants, dark shoes, tie, and yes, even wings. The dress code is strictly enforced. I've even seen students get sent away from stage checks if they aren't wearing their tie.

I understand the whole concept of being professional however, I think the hundreds of dollars students spend on uniforms could go toward their flight training. Plus, I know for a fact most airlines don't have any strict dress codes during newhire training, other than a collared shirt and khaky pants. :rolleyes:

At the university where I work students can wear pretty much whatever they want, with the exception that sandals are not allowed in the airplane. Instructors where a monkey suit during the semester: blue or black pants and tie, white shirt, and stupid custom-made shoulder boards that make us look more like security guards than pilots.

At the 61 school I did my flight instructing at we wore jeans, polo shirt, or sometimes even a nice t-shirt, and shoes, sandals if we wanted to. When I did some instructing while I was flying corporate down in North Carolina I was doing mainly tailwheel instructing in a Champ out of a little grass strip and there I could wear whatever the heck I wanted to, as long as I didn't show up naked, now that would have driven away business.

I've

I've had the FAA DE show up for checkrides wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt. So I figure I was alright wearing the same, plus it gets really hot here in the summer. I guess you could show up wearing long pants, but it wouldn't be good.

Also my Instructor wears shorts and a short sleeve shirt as well. Again, its so hot you almost have too.

J.

When I learned to fly, I wouldn't have even considered giving a flight school my money that had a dress code, especially one that makes the students wear those ridiculous uniforms. They probably just do that because the admistrators of the school can't get a job anywhere else so they have a little "airline pilot envy" going on. I'm sure there's a government program they qualify for that will get them some psychiatric help.

Every business has what is considered to be appropriate attire, and it is almost always a hallmark of the student. Medical students dress like doctors, business students dress like middle managers (while interning), and airline pilots in training often dress like pilots.

Without a long dissertation into why this is an effective practice, I must point out that humans have been equipping themselves as the people they want to become for several thousands of years.

It works at furthering the mental and emotional processes of the disciplines involved.

Dress codes

I agree with Timebuilder. Dressing for the job or profession you want to have is all part of the psychology of learning to be a professional in your chosen field.

Outside of CAP, where crew wear uniforms for safety and liability reasons, the most blatant example of a uniform I wore was the blue crew shirts with epaulets and ties in season for FlightSafety. I had no problem with it whatsoever. I felt the uniforms contributed greatly to the professional atmosphere FSI was trying to establish. Wearing uniforms showed you were taking your training and future profession seriously. It had nothing with airline envy, particularly for the Chief Pilot and the Assistant Chiefs. They were either retired something and/or were career FSI employees.

One final, non-aviation, example is law offices. My first office was formal. All the men wore suits or jackets and the women wore equivalent professional attire. My current office is less formal. I no longer wear suits and ties to work, but I do wear good shirts and good slacks. We may not be buttoned-down, but we do look professional.

Follow the proper dress code. Just a point to consider.

Last edited:
I think students are customers and should wear whatever they want, except for checkrides, regardless of what the DE wears. He already has his tickets and a career.

CFI's are professionals and should dress as such, regardless of the wx. It is pretty hot in Florida too, JB, but I put my shirt and tie on every day. The image you present to your student is important. He/she might be a little less likely to listen to or respect the local beach bum.

Latest resources

Back