Dream Job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jack Schitt said:
Yeah, flying corporate really sucks. There's not a single company in this country that operates with a GOM. No companies even take the time to develope their own duty times and standardization. Nobody cares about safety. God knows you have to have a union for all that stuff. And how can you possibly earn a fair wage without union representation? Whatever.....pull your head out of your @ss.

Yep, you certainly know jack schitt. Not EVERY company has a good deal, which was kinda the point.

And there's no E in develop.

I am at a good 91 flight dept. We do have duty times and regs that are modeled after 121 ops. See if the co's you are intrested in have anything like this.

A good flight dept is all about the people. If the company has a high turn over, turn around and leave.

A last note. Getting into Corp is all about knowing someone. Beat the bushes and talk to people. Let them know that you won't be jumping ship to the majors anytime soon. The last thing a corp dept wants to do is invest a lot of money in you, only to have you leave in a year or so.

Sorry RJP, I thought we were making generalizations.

Job security is a joke. No union, nowhere to turn if there are problems and everyone looking out for themselves.
Funny how you can say the exact same thing about USAir, United, Delta and AA/TWA. Hope you enjoy your beloved ALPA. Or should I call it ALCA? (Air Line Captains Association). Or maybe MALCA would be a better name for it? (Major Air Line Captains Association).

Maybe it's the RSSMACA(Real Senior Small Major Airline Captain's Association) ;)

gobigred--Having just made the transition from airline to corporate I'll throw my two cents worth in... These are kind of random so just pick through them.

First priority is to know someone. That's how I did it and he still had a fight on his hands. There is an institutional bias against airline types in corporate. Some is deserved, some isn't. Too many airline pilots went out and got corporate jobs while on furlough, promising not to go back to the airline. They lied. That's the deserved aspect.

Anyway, now a lot of people are realizing that there is no job security anywhere and that there are good jobs and bad in all areas of the industry.

You most likely won't score that "Dream Job" right out of the box anyway. (I may have but I'll tell you if I did after I retire.)

You may want to suck it up and go work for a frac to ease into the business. Talk to corporate pilots at the FBO's and tell them your story.

I miss the guaranteed days off that the airline gave me(now I only have 4 a month). But I don't miss scheduling doing everything they could to twist the wording of the contract and screw me. I've been talking to some friends at JB. That would be a great option if I wasn't at my current job. They do have a great deal right now. But what happens if another 9/11 occurs? My owners don't care about the price of fuel, either.

It does seem that the guys in my department have every bit as much disposable income as the airline types.

I would say that if I could go back to my life before 9/11, I would do it. But we all know the response to that... I honestly think you're looking in the right direction and you are going about it the right way. Educate yourself as best you can and realize you will occasionally be pleasantly surprised and occasionally greatly disappointed(yeah, I know that's true for any job in aviation).

Just realize that in corporate more than anywhere else, the grass always seems greener on the other side of the ramp.TC

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back