Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jumppilot03

Does and Donts when ferrying airplanes?

I was rescently asked to pick up a single engine Cessna in the midwest and ferry it to new england, and am wandering about some of the do's and donts involved in ferrying newly acquired used airplanes. I have many hours in type. Do I go on a test flight with the seller? How do I know it has been maintained properly and inspections done? I am guessing the airframe and engine logs, but this is all new to me. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
hmmmm

I did this for a long time. Ferrying cessnas is how I built my time. The customer normally wants to test fly with you if they are the ones receiving the aircraft. If you are picking up an aircraft that a customer is selling or whatever, they can usually care less about flying with you. I've had instances when I was instructed to go to a particular airport to pick up an aircraft. The FBO had the keys and after I presented proper ID, they released the keys that the seller had left with them, and off I flew. No history, didn't talk to mechanic or previous owner or nothing. That's the worse case scenero. That is particulary dangerous, because even after a thorough preflight, you never know how the aircraft flies or how it's been maintained. Basically, I would get into contact with the person you're picking it up from and find out it's history. Do this way before you even leave your home. Any squawks? radios all work? annual current? has all the paperwork? xponder and pitot/static checks? Find out the mechanics name and talk to him for 10-15 minutes about the condition of the aircraft. If it's in good shape and you feel comfortable taking it, I don't see it necessary to test fly with the seller. Remember to keep legal. I've been ramp checked a couple of times. It's usually no big deal, but the feds can be maticulous, so just have all your bases covered. Make sure you have the registration, airworthiness cert., insurance, etc..... Get the logs, too. If you leave w/o the logs, it could be a pain in the a$$ to track them down later. What I did alot of times with a questionable airplane was take it around the patch and do a few landing to get a feel for it. I wouldn't launch right into IMC until after a couple of fuel stops. Be sure the fuel isn't contaminated and do a very thourough preflight as if your life depends on it...LOL I once encountered a family of birds living in the cowling of an old 206 I picked up one summer...Good luck, have fun and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
First off, you should really have posted this on the General Message board, might have got more responses. No worries though.

When ferrying aircraft remember that you are the operator of that aircraft so make sure that the aircraft is in total compliance with all specific regs.

You might want to make a short checklist to insure that you have everything you need.

First off check the docs, Registration, Airworthiness Cert, Radio Telephone Station License. Next check that all the required checks are taken care of. Pitot/Static/Transponder check if IFR certified, VOR Check, ELT battery, Annual, AD's, etc. Then most importantly make sure that the aircraft is insured before you put foot one into it.

The depth and detail of your forays into the logs and any inspection that you engage in is determinate on specifically what you are being contracted to do. Performing a test flight would be a consideration upon what you are tasked to do and the general condition of the aircraft as you find it. Are you just picking up the aircraft? Are you performing an acceptance inspection? Are you performing a pre-sale inspection? Depending on these conditions you would temper your actions in these areas. Usually when I pick up aircraft I will give the purchaser a call and inform them of my findings prior to departure.

Overall remember that you are potentially going to fly an aircraft that has not spun a prop blade for an extended period of time. Temper you actions with that fact.

Oh, and one other thing. Don't think that your going on a sight seeing tour of the US, or lollygag around. I met one guy that told me of one of his ferry flights in which he **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** near circumnavigated the country as he flew over everything he wanted to see and strung a bunch of visits to his friends along the way. If I was the owner of the plane I would have charged HIM for his indiscretions. That is not to say that you should not have fun, just remember that your doing a job. If you do it well and CHEAPLY they will call you again.

Thanks for all of the help guys. I am just picking up an airplane that has already been sold to the people that I am working for. Although siteseeing sounds fun to do with the plane, I have to get it to the east coast. Its my new ride and they aern't going to give me a weekly paycheck if I am bumming around solo in it. Thanks again, I 'll let you know how it goes.

Cuidado amigo

First off - Fearless freep - great to hear from you - its been a while - what is up?
Great advice above - let me reiterate: you are betting your life and certificate on this aircraft so be uptight about the paperwork. If this goes south the paper work is the key, and in a court of law your friend or foe depending upon how well you checked it. Be pleasant and professional, but mostly professional (the world is full of scoundrels and theives). Don't even look at the plane until the paperwork is 100%. Then do the best preflight in the world followed by a flight in known conditions - the best weather, daylight, and with the previous operator in the other seat if able.
Give yourself all of the advantages: fly home day VFR only. Discuss potential problems with your employer - what if the aircraft is not as advertised? Not airworthy? Fowl weather? etc. It needs to be clear that if you find a problem with the aircraft, you are to be comended and not blamed.
In the end, this can and should be fun - be a pro, cya and act as if your mom and an FAA examiner are watching your every move.

I recently had an opportunity to ferry a plane from the upper midwest to the lower midwest, about a 550nm trip. I was told that the airplane's inspections were current , but it hadn't flown in a while. So, I took off to this cold city and when I got there we pulled the airplane out of the hanger (airplane looked sad) and tried to start it...battery was dead, so the owner worked the Aux power cables and I tried to start it....it caught on fire and the fire wouldn't go back into the carbeurator....so we were stuck throwing snow up through the cowl flaps. While we waited to get maintenance performed on the airplane, i decided it would be a good time to read through the logs (The owner had just picked them up from the FBO). Come to find out, the plane was 2 days out of annual. The seller called the buyer and the buyer, an experienced pilot, asked about a ferry permit. I said no way.

Bottom line is that it is often more risky than training students in the practice area b/c it involves an unfamiliar airplane in often times unfamiliar territory. I echo what was previously stated by another post....act like its a checkride...if one thing is out of place, don't do it...b/c you don't have to. Good luck, and my biggest piece of advise would be to get faxed copies of the annual and Altimeter/Pitot Static System checks, along with the Transponder check. Also, ask the seller what avionics it is equipped with so you can know where you stand as far as that stuff goes.

Why would you say "no way" on a ferry permit? Half the airplanes I've ferried I think I did with a temporary permit.

Yes, test fly the airplane. Would you buy an airplane without test flying it? As long as the paper work is there it's your job as a pro. ferry pilot to get that airplane from point A. to point B. Also do a thourall visual inspection of the airplane. You'll always find something that the seller didn't tell you or the buyer about. And keep all your receipts. From a snickers, to gas and hotels don't pay for anything.

Try to do all the flying in the day time and try to stay out of the clouds.

Make sure to give yourself a couple extra days to get back. So take more than just one day off at your other job. Something will go wrong! It always does.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back