Doolittle's Raiders

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hugh Jorgan

Just caught War Stories on Foxnews tonight and was reminded of the significance of the "Doolittle" raids over Tokyo in WWII. If you want a good read, try "Four Came Home" written by Robert Hite, one of the Raiders taken prisoner by the Japs. Kinda makes you shake your head when you read this, then think of the outrage over some underwear on the head in Abu Ghraib.

Doolittle(Dobig actually)

Check out: The First Heros: The Extraordinary Story of the Doolittle Raid- America's First WWII Victoryan awesome book about the Doolittle raid. I highly reccomend this book to get an insiders look to what was going through thier minds before, during and after the raid. Its like 10 clams at amazon. enjoy.

Hugh Jorgan said:
Just caught War Stories on Foxnews tonight and was reminded of the significance of the "Doolittle" raids over Tokyo in WWII. If you want a good read, try "Four Came Home" written by Robert Hite, one of the Raiders taken prisoner by the Japs. Kinda makes you shake your head when you read this, then think of the outrage over some underwear on the head in Abu Ghraib.

Copy that Hugh. The outrage is in Abu Ghraib is ok. Why? Becuase we define our own standards, we don't use relativity to excuse.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Copy that Hugh. The outrage is in Abu Ghraib is ok. Why? Becuase we define our own standards, we don't use relativity to excuse.

Agreed, if you're saying what I think you're saying... Historical abuses do not justify present ones. For a good balanced look at the Japanese POW situation, read "Flyboys" by James Bradley. Not for the faint of heart, though...

ackattacker said:
Historical abuses do not justify present ones.
Nobody is trying to justify squat. But there is a difference between minor mistreatment and utter atrocity. Those who label the stupid behavior of a few guards in the same category as some of the barbaric acts of the Japanese are not right in the skull.

the prison scandals in iraq are a vacation on a beach compared to the atrocities of WWII and the like. with the passing of my grandparent's generation, i just hope that we don't forget what really occurred. as for the iraq war scandals: oh no. someone took a picture of a murderer in his undies. i'm going to lose a lot of sleep over it.

Hugh Jorgan said:
Nobody is trying to justify squat. But there is a difference between minor mistreatment and utter atrocity. Those who label the stupid behavior of a few guards in the same category as some of the barbaric acts of the Japanese are not right in the skull.

I don't see anyone on this board who is trying to put the two into the same category, I'm certainly not. But it seems to me like you ARE trying to somehow use the completely non-related historical atrocities commited by the Japanese in WWII to label the mistreatment at Abu-Ghraib as irrelevant in comparison. Which it is not. Irrelevant, that is, not in comparison. I doubt you would have found the mistreatment to be "minor" if you were one of the prisoners involved. Particulary if you were one of the prisoners who died as a result of abuse. It was a lot more than underwear on the head. From CNN, talking about the military's own report of the abuse:

"Five detainees died from abuse during interrogations, it said. Twenty-three cases of detainee deaths were still under investigation -- three in Afghanistan and 20 in Iraq -- the report said"

I suppose that the fact that the Japanese raped hundreds of thousands of women in WWII means that I shouldn't loose any sleep over a few isolated rapes in my hometown? Somehow I don't find that comforting.

ackattacker said:
I suppose that the fact that the Japanese raped hundreds of thousands of women in WWII means that I shouldn't loose any sleep over a few isolated rapes in my hometown? Somehow I don't find that comforting.
Your reading comprehension is on par with most Americans. Such a sad commentary on our education system. You are trying to make a case for something I didn't even address. If there were deaths due to mistreatment of prisoners in our custody, then that is horrible and certainly warrants investigation and prosecution to the fullest extent of the law. But my friend, I made no such reference to alleged deaths. I spoke of the sophmoric shenanigans of Abu Ghraib which were labeled by many as war crimes and atrocities.

Now pay very close attention, and follow my logic here, sir. Perhaps you've heard of syllogistic logic. Yours needs improvement.

When I think of the fact that the japanese raped hundreds of thousands of women in WWII, I don't lose a lot of sleep over the fact that Augusta National won't allow female members, yet some have taken to the streets to protest such an outrage. I believe that would more closely resemble an analogy to my original statement than the example which you brought forth.

Get real.

Latest resources

Back