Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dont like the direction this is going in....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JohnDoe said:
quote:
Please.....you think this is going to benefit any pilots in this country in the long run?? Wake up. Cheap foreign labor and the almighty $$ is all this is about.

I absolutely agree w/ JohnDoe.

Last edited:
No Correlation

"Less expensive crews typically equal less experienced crews. Less experienced crews typically equal more aircraft mishaps. More aircraft mishaps equal greatly reduced profits from subsequent lawsuits etc". Rock, the airlines redefine their competitive hiring minimums on a regular basis. It based upon what is available and how many pilots have to be hired. I believe there is no correlation between experience and safety at the 121 level. Look at AirTran pre 911 a DA-20 Capt. from USA Jet with 3000 hours was a typical new hire, after 911 AirTran wants 500 121 TJ, competitive minimums approaching 5000-6000 hours. They have spotless record with the lower time pilots now flying as Captain. Look at your experience level you were safely operating with probably a total of 500 hours total flight time as a military pilot.</p>

Last edited:
quote:
"Next up... cabotage?"

BINGO!!

I posted a thread in the regional section to try and get their attention on this matter (they seem more interested in who has the hottest flight attendants), and do you know what one of the responses was?? "they are only looking to change foreign ownership laws..." or something like that.

Cabotage is right around the corner from this....don't kid yourself.

JohnDoe said:

Kid myself or skid myself? That clanging noise was my cheeks when I read the article.

Scary stuff, and rome might be on fire shortly while we fiddle away...

Pilotyip, if it is true that there is no correlation between experience and safety (and it might be) than we just lost one of our main justifications for higher wages etc. If greater experience represented by flying hours and actual experience in the cockpit, does not translate to safer, more effective pilots, than airlines have absolutely no reason not to higher inexperienced pilots willing to work for much cheaper wages than the average pilot currently hired by airlines such as FedEx, UPS, Southwest etc. While I agree that hiring minimums must be based in part by what supply is available, there is no reason airlines wouldn't hire cheap available pilots scrambling for hours at FBO's around the country if the long term impact both financially and in safety incidents wasn't adverse to the all important bottomline. I guarantee a 24 year old with no kids would fly for FedEx for a lot less money than my 39 year old butt will. Yet, three years ago FedEx chose me over any number of those young 24 year olds. I was a safer bet,

pilotyip said:
I believe there is no correlation between experience and safety at the 121 level.

Sorry Yip ... but that has got to be one of THE MOST IGNORANT statements I have ever read. Clearly, you have never worked in an airline training center, never reviewed ASAP data, don't read safety bulletins, never been a check airman or even spoken to one.

I suggest you contact Flight Safety Inc. or the FAA and share your thoughts with them. They'll literally bury you with empirical data refuting your ignorance (lack of knowledge) on this subject. (Hint: ever wonder why 1500 hours is the min for an ATP? It relates to this "experience" subject.) ;)

BBB

beer belly, I was referring to the 121 major airline level, everyone there is well trained by the time they get intothe Captain's seat, and there entry level experience has little to do with the accident rate.

JohnDoe said:
quote:
"Next up... cabotage?"

BINGO!!

I posted a thread in the regional section to try and get their attention on this matter (they seem more interested in who has the hottest flight attendants), and do you know what one of the responses was?? "they are only looking to change foreign ownership laws..." or something like that.

If we don't start getting heavily involved in politics we will have no voice. No voice means no position on the issue.

Contribute to ALPA/APA-PAC
Start a Legislative Affairs Committee with your pilot group.

Man this cabatoge is going destroy and when won't even know it...

We need to align the poltiicians to draft legislation that gurantees US Pilot employment....

Latest resources

Back