• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.
  • Logbook Pro for Apple iOS version 8.1 is now available on the App Store. Major update including signature endorsements and dark/light theme support. Click here to install now.

Dont like the direction this is going in....

TCBKING

Total Time
Check out more ALPA news and information 24-7 at crewroom.alpa.org

November 4, 2005—In this issue:
[FONT=Helvetica,Verdana,Arial][/FONT] Bush Administration Pushes Foreign Ownership of U.S. Airlines[FONT=Helvetica,Verdana,Arial][/FONT] Protests and Demonstrations Being Planned[FONT=Helvetica,Verdana,Arial][/FONT] Avoiding Avian Flu
Bush Administration Pushes Foreign Ownership of U.S. Airlines
Yesterday, the Bush administration launched a notice of proposed rulemaking to change the control provision of the law governing foreign ownership and control of U.S. airlines. By attempting this NPRM, the administration is clearly trying to avoid and bypass the role of Congress.
ALPA's president, Capt. Duane Woerth, met with senior administration officials yesterday to get an explanation, and along with ALPA's Government Affairs staff, met with many members of Congress and their staff, who had just returned from briefings by the administration.
"Three things are clear," Capt. Woerth said. "First, the principal motivation behind this is to appease the European Union, which wants to clearly own and control U.S. airlines and has made it a condition of continuing bargaining over our U.S. and European Union multilateral trade agreement. Secondly, many members of Congress are very unhappy with the administration's jurisdictional grab or overreach. And third, U.S. airlines themselves are all over the map on whether they support this--or oppose this--or even understand it."
The public comment period will last 60 days, but the amount of time after that before a final rule on an NPRM is issued varies extremely widely--from many months to many years. What will happen or when or if a final rule will be issued after the public comment period is very unclear. ALPA will monitor and report on this crucial issue.

O

OpenSkies

This is good news. This is part of the open skies with the EU. This will lead to increased flying for UPS and IPA crews.

WhiteCloud

Total Time
OpenSkies said:
This is good news. This is part of the open skies with the EU. This will lead to increased flying for UPS and IPA crews.
Sure, piloted by the less expensive crews from...........

Rock

Total Time
"Sure, piloted by the less expensive crews from..........."

Less expensive crews typically equal less experienced crews. Less experienced crews typically equal more aircraft mishaps. More aircraft mishaps equal greatly reduced profits from subsequent lawsuits etc.

Airlines don't set their hiring minimums because they like to hire old guys.

Total Time
7000+
....and BUSH continues the OUTSOURCING OF AMERICA!

HalinTexas

昇る太陽の土&#
Total Time
10000+
Like, the present system is working really well. :rolleyes:

Thanks ALPA. :smash: :angryfire Funny how you believe what Worthless says now.

What is fails to mention is that US airlines can buy EU airlines. If "someone" would get on the stick, we could have a world-wide effective pilot certificate instead of all this other crap, increasing job opportunities for some to go abroad.

Mr Hat

Total Time
Less expensive crews typically equal less experienced crews. Less experienced crews typically equal more aircraft mishaps. More aircraft mishaps equal greatly reduced profits from subsequent lawsuits etc.
I wish that were true.....

JohnDoe

Total Time
quote:
"What is fails to mention is that US airlines can buy EU airlines. If "someone" would get on the stick, we could have a world-wide effective pilot certificate instead of all this other crap, increasing job opportunities for some to go abroad."

Please.....you think this is going to benefit any pilots in this country in the long run?? Wake up. Cheap foreign labor and the almighty $$ is all this is about. Plus, I doubt foreign airlines will be hiring those "yankee" Americans en masse any time soon. Unlike us, they seem to try and employ their own citizens.

quote:
"More aircraft mishaps equal greatly reduced profits from subsequent lawsuits etc."

Don't kid yourself. Safety will never be a no-go consideration in this. There is an "acceptable" risk. Besides, do you actually think planes are going to start dropping from the skies due to less-experienced crews?? If that were the case, some of the regionals in this country that have been hiring 500 hour pilots would be dropping like flies.

Every 121 pilot out there should be contacting their representatives in DC telling them to vote no on this. Get your family members to do the same.

Regul8r

Old School
Total Time
+12k
JohnDoe said:
quote:
Please.....you think this is going to benefit any pilots in this country in the long run?? Wake up. Cheap foreign labor and the almighty $$ is all this is about.

I absolutely agree w/ JohnDoe.

Last edited:

pilotyip

Total Time
No Correlation

"Less expensive crews typically equal less experienced crews. Less experienced crews typically equal more aircraft mishaps. More aircraft mishaps equal greatly reduced profits from subsequent lawsuits etc". Rock, the airlines redefine their competitive hiring minimums on a regular basis. It based upon what is available and how many pilots have to be hired. I believe there is no correlation between experience and safety at the 121 level. Look at AirTran pre 911 a DA-20 Capt. from USA Jet with 3000 hours was a typical new hire, after 911 AirTran wants 500 121 TJ, competitive minimums approaching 5000-6000 hours. They have spotless record with the lower time pilots now flying as Captain. Look at your experience level you were safely operating with probably a total of 500 hours total flight time as a military pilot.</p>

Last edited:

JohnDoe

Total Time
quote:
"Next up... cabotage?"

BINGO!!

I posted a thread in the regional section to try and get their attention on this matter (they seem more interested in who has the hottest flight attendants), and do you know what one of the responses was?? "they are only looking to change foreign ownership laws..." or something like that.

Cabotage is right around the corner from this....don't kid yourself.

Sig

Total Time
100%
JohnDoe said:

Kid myself or skid myself? That clanging noise was my cheeks when I read the article.

Scary stuff, and rome might be on fire shortly while we fiddle away...

Rock

Total Time
Pilotyip, if it is true that there is no correlation between experience and safety (and it might be) than we just lost one of our main justifications for higher wages etc. If greater experience represented by flying hours and actual experience in the cockpit, does not translate to safer, more effective pilots, than airlines have absolutely no reason not to higher inexperienced pilots willing to work for much cheaper wages than the average pilot currently hired by airlines such as FedEx, UPS, Southwest etc. While I agree that hiring minimums must be based in part by what supply is available, there is no reason airlines wouldn't hire cheap available pilots scrambling for hours at FBO's around the country if the long term impact both financially and in safety incidents wasn't adverse to the all important bottomline. I guarantee a 24 year old with no kids would fly for FedEx for a lot less money than my 39 year old butt will. Yet, three years ago FedEx chose me over any number of those young 24 year olds. I was a safer bet,

Big Beer Belly

Total Time
9000+
pilotyip said:
I believe there is no correlation between experience and safety at the 121 level.

Sorry Yip ... but that has got to be one of THE MOST IGNORANT statements I have ever read. Clearly, you have never worked in an airline training center, never reviewed ASAP data, don't read safety bulletins, never been a check airman or even spoken to one.

I suggest you contact Flight Safety Inc. or the FAA and share your thoughts with them. They'll literally bury you with empirical data refuting your ignorance (lack of knowledge) on this subject. (Hint: ever wonder why 1500 hours is the min for an ATP? It relates to this "experience" subject.) ;)

BBB

pilotyip

Total Time
beer belly, I was referring to the 121 major airline level, everyone there is well trained by the time they get intothe Captain's seat, and there entry level experience has little to do with the accident rate.

Rez O. Lewshun

Save the Profession
Total Time
X>X
JohnDoe said:
quote:
"Next up... cabotage?"

BINGO!!

I posted a thread in the regional section to try and get their attention on this matter (they seem more interested in who has the hottest flight attendants), and do you know what one of the responses was?? "they are only looking to change foreign ownership laws..." or something like that.

If we don't start getting heavily involved in politics we will have no voice. No voice means no position on the issue.

Contribute to ALPA/APA-PAC
Start a Legislative Affairs Committee with your pilot group.

Man this cabatoge is going destroy and when won't even know it...

We need to align the poltiicians to draft legislation that gurantees US Pilot employment....